Conversation Between petey shoes and jmich60
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. petey shoes
    03-21-2011 07:51 AM - permalink
    john, joblot in queens ny should have the spring, maybe rebuild kits. raybestos has these kits. they are: front cyl kit-wk103 rear cyl kit-wk104 master cyl kit-mk1 it took a bit of time to get these, direct from manufacturer. napa may be able to help with this. i have good used kits if you run into problems. ( this would be last resort) i myself do not trust hardware springs, usually too weak, but i don't know what you found.
  2. jmich60
    03-20-2011 05:20 PM - permalink
    Hi Pete, Well I got into that right rear brake Sat. and found what I thought was the problem. the spring connecting the two shoes was spent. When I stretched it to remove, it didn't spring back to its original length. My spring was sprung. But unfortunately thats not the problem. I replaced the spring (with a makeshift spring from hdwr store) but the shoes are still not retracting when you let off the pedal. So you are quite right about those wheel cylinders. I need to replace/rebuild them. Do you have any leads on these parts that you could recommend? I will definitely be doing both sides in the rear. Thanks, John
  3. petey shoes
    03-19-2011 07:40 AM - permalink
    john, that is definetly a wheel cylinder. rebuild them all. (at least both sides of rear axle). i suggest pulling master cylinder boot away from master and looking for moisture and/or corrosion. these systems are notorious for absorbing moisture and then failing. if you use rebuild kits, make sure to hone cylinders. usually, a medium grit stone, then fine. they do not have to be "mirror" clean, but bores must be smooth.
  4. jmich60
    03-18-2011 06:58 PM - permalink
    Hi Petey shoes, yes the brakes are working now except that right rear locks up when I apply the pedal. If I'm gentle on the pedal she may not lock up, if I lean on it she'll lock up solid. I throw it in reverse and move the truck just a couple inches she'll unlock instantly. No pedal sticking and no fluid leaks that I can detect any where. Hope to attack this tomorrow, (Sat.) if it warms up enough. The tires are "Hercules HDTL" 8.25x20, Unfortunately two of the six are on 'widow makers' which I will have to deal with at some point. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted. John
  5. petey shoes
    03-18-2011 06:15 AM - permalink
    john, that gasket is for axle, behind nuts and cones. to make pattern--use something like poster board. cut about 7 inch circle,put against axle housing, use ball peen hammer, flat side, to tap around outer flange, then use ball end and tap all holes. this should give you pattern. your lug nuts, both inner and outer, are right and left hand threads. inner nuts are stamped with R-L on outside end. if shoe linings are old and dry, or soaked with fluid, replace them. this can be done at most reputable brake reline shops. may be tough to get new wheel cylinders, so do not damage these. rebuild kits are out there. are your brakes working now? is pedal sticking? leaking fluid? don't have too many manuals, but have had my truck down to frame and redone, i know what's there. what size and type tires are those? i need to replace mine, they look aggressive enough.
  6. jmich60
    03-17-2011 08:43 PM - permalink
    Hi Petey shoes, Thanks for checking in. I'm going to do that rear brake this weekend. You mentioned making a new gasket, where is this? Do you mean right under the 8 nuts and cones at the end of the axle? Not sure what i'll find thats causing the wheel to lock up when I apply the brake pedal. Seems to me something in there is shifting. We'll see soon enough. talk to you later, John