Conversation Between ArdWrknTrk and first today
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. first today
    09-11-2014 08:16 PM - permalink
    I can not figure out how to resize my avatar to print that as a picture. The original was on another computer that is long gone.

All in all everyone is doing well and I hope you and yours are too.

These parts are pretty plentiful around here. If you need something just let me know. For you and a couple of others here I generally just have you pay whatever it costs me to buy the part and ship it to you. I do not think anything I have sent Gary has cost more than 60 bucks.
  2. first today
    09-11-2014 08:16 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the reps.

We are down to one dog now. Two of them passed two weeks apart. Sally, the one in my avatar went very unexpectedly and Lucy are big loveable one had to be put down two weeks later. She was shutting down. Hardest thing I ever had to do as a pet owner.

Ellie, the golden lab is damn near bulletproof. I have outfitted my wrangler to take her for rides to the Mississippi Levee about a mile from the house so she can have some outings. She seems to like it. When she passes (hopefully not soon) we will see about rescuing a couple more dogs.
  3. first today
    06-08-2014 08:26 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the reps. I enjoy the friendships here. I can not do these things for everyone, but you and a few others I do not mind at all.
  4. ArdWrknTrk
    08-09-2012 04:59 AM - permalink
    I understand about the manufacturers RBP, but around here code interpretation is up to the individual inspector.
    Just like how caulk at penetrations no longer has to be intumescent fire rated caulk according to the '09 IRC (302.11)
    ...try telling that to the inspector!

It's just a matter of conflicting interests.
    Of course you don't want a chase where flames can travel 3 stories up into an attic and consume the whole house.
    But that shield better be a fireproof material that is easily fabricated and installed.
    Sheet metal will conduct heat, but it will also shed it readily.
    Packing a cavity with fireblocking insulation like Thermafiber will only cause the heat to keep building up possibly to auto-ignition temperature.
  5. first today
    08-08-2012 09:31 PM - permalink
    Always enjoy hearing from you. I understand your concerns. I always install to the manufacturers code and go with what the local inspectors tell me. I actually had an inspector flunk my install the other day because he could not remember the correct installation of the firestop. It was done correct but failed due to his memory.

A pipe is supposed to have two inches of clearance from combustibles. A firestop is a metal shield that goes at all ceiling levels and is supposed to deflect fire if the inner and outer pipe seams come apart allowing flames to hit the firestop, shooting them to the sides.

The thing I do not understand about the combustible clearance is that the firestop is a thin sheet of metal that touches the pipe and conducts the same heat as the outer pipe. If the outer pipe is considered hot enough to ignite combustibles, then the firestop should do the same since it touches the outer pipe. I have never been given a good answer from our dealers.
  6. ArdWrknTrk
    08-08-2012 09:02 PM - permalink
    Thank you for the Rep's buddy!
    Just my (9 y.o.) pup doing what she does.
    We build a little different up here in New England.
    Due to both the climate and 'tradition', I think.
  7. ArdWrknTrk
    02-08-2012 07:54 PM - permalink
    Thank you for the Rep's Kyle!
  8. ArdWrknTrk
    02-27-2011 04:47 PM - permalink
    "That way the wife could get her workout and I could keep up."
    Lol, Kyle! I'd rep you if I could.
    Be careful, or you'll be sleeping in the dog house.
  9. ArdWrknTrk
    01-23-2011 08:45 PM - permalink
    Thank you for the Reps!
    And your input in that thread.
  10. ArdWrknTrk
    12-15-2010 05:42 AM - permalink
    Sure, you're welcome!
    Thanks for the friends request.