Conversation Between AbandonedBronco and sl93z
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. sl93z
    03-28-2016 11:45 PM - permalink
    Got a box of parts Friday and now I have a few questions I need to ask (e.g. does it matter which way I orient the 4 bbl carb?). Any chance you would be so kind as to give me your number so I can call and get your input? If not, I understand.

Thanks,

Ken
  2. sl93z
    03-07-2016 12:01 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the quick reply. I don't see a reply button so I must be limited in my account as a newby.

I am in Lewiston, just down the hill from "scow." I take it you were in school there? I teach at LCSC. Yes, dark at 4:00 sucks, but light until 10:30 is nice in the summers.

You got it; the feedback carb is dying, along with all the electronics that go with it. When we first bought it it would get 12-13 mpg, but now it is closer to 6-7 mpg and you can smell the unburned fuel coming out the tailpipe. We tired new plug wires and rotor cap, cleaned the carb and re-calibrated it, but I think all the cleaning did was expose a host of problems we never knew we had. Based on your recommendation I'm going with the QF 450 slayer. Black would be nice but I can't justify spending an extra $40 for something no one will see.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Ken
  3. sl93z
    03-06-2016 10:38 PM - permalink
    Hello AB,

I'm a little north of you and in a different time zone, but still the same great state.

I found my son an 85 F150 I6 4spd 4x4 LB with 42K miles last fall. It runs fairly well in stock condition but recently the carb has had some issues so I decided its time to do some upgrades.

I have spent hours reading over the intake, exhaust, and ignition mods and your posts have been especially helpful. One thing I can't find is where you talk about your switch to the QF 450 carb. Do you have a write up on that one? I'd never heard of QF till I saw it in your signature so now I am researching it, but not finding much. Do you like it? Why did you drop the Holly 600? How is the MPG?

What I am looking for is a rig with reliability, dependability, and good fuel economy; going fast is nice too but not nearly as important as the other three (plus the fact that he is a teenager :-) )

Thanks in advance,

Ken