Conversation Between cartmanea and themrt1986
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. themrt1986
    09-03-2013 12:17 PM - permalink
    As far as switching to a skinnier tire, I guess i'll get over that if I can't put it on 16" wheels. I don't drive my truck often at all. It will likely be 3-4 years before I need new tires. I want rims much sooner than that.

So, staying with the 315 75R16 tires, i should look for a -6mm offset or closer to 0. Got that. Does backspacing not matter then? I don't understand how it couldn't.

Sorry, Just trying not to F this up. I'm gonna order online and I don't want to have to send anything back.

Wouldn't the backspacing change with width of the rim? I guess I'll be ordering a 10" rim since I won't be able to switch to skinnier tires later. Hope this makes sense. I'll be mounting the 315 75R16 tires on 16X10 rims. I'd like them to be even with or a bit inside the fenders. As little chance of rubbing the leaf springs when I turn as possible (back spacing?) Truck is lifted about 4". Thanks again, really appreciate the help.
  2. cartmanea
    08-28-2013 10:34 AM - permalink
    Your stock wheels are a +6mm offset. You can just pay attention to offset to determine where the tire sits (center of wheel = center of tire). Others talk width and backspace, but if you're changing wheel width that can be confusing as different widths require different backspace. Going to a 0 offset wheel will move the tire out about 1/4", -6mm about 1/2", and -25mm about 1.25". I have -6mm wheels with 315s and they are just flush with the fender, maybe a hair inside. If you want to keep them covered then I'd go no more than -6mm and probably closer to 0.

With that said, if you might want to go with a narrower 35" tire in the future, you don't have a lot of options. One great option is a 285/75r18. They only offer those tall narrower tires in 18" and larger wheels though, so if you want to go that way I'd stick with your stock wheels for now and buy new tires and wheels when you change size. Stock wheels are 7"-7.5" wide, a little narrow for 315s, but should wear pretty well.
  3. themrt1986
    08-22-2013 02:49 PM - permalink
    Hey,

Brad here. Been wanting to buy new wheels for a while now and never make the purchase because I don't know what to get as far as offset and back-spacing. Came across this site and some of your messages and decided to join up. You seem to be the only guy in town that gets the stuff. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help.

I have a 1999 F250 regular cab with around 3-4 inches of lift. My tires are Dick Cepek FC-II 315 75 r16. They're like new so I'll be sticking with the 16" wheel. These tires are currently mounted on the factory rims. I do not want them to stick out wider than the truck is. Even at worst, 1/4 or 1/2" or so in ideally. Also, next time I need tires I will probably go skinnier so I'm thinking a 9" wide rim instead of 10". If you get a chance let me know what you think I need. Thanks in advance.