Conversation Between NW 150 and lasitter
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. lasitter
    07-18-2010 12:30 PM - permalink
    Please read messages back to front!!! The stock injectors are good to about 195hp, and making the engine breathe easier, the reduction of parasitic losses, etc., should push effective output well over 200hp.

If you discover something interesting, keep me in mind.
  2. lasitter
    07-18-2010 12:29 PM - permalink
    Previous message continued: The first big ticket HP mod was a complete exhaust system, custom mandrel bent including downpipes, with single heavy-metal low-flow cat and low restriction muffler, and it's pulling much stronger over 3000.

I'll soon be getting back HP by minimizing parasitic losses from the fan and WP, and in January I've got a legendary inline-six man doing my headwork, which I expect to yield large HP gains. I'm changing the cam at the same time, and NONE of the resulting HP will come at the expense of fuel economy.

MPG wise, I'm getting close to 30 now (2.73 rear) @ 55 highway.

I'm still interested in program changes via flashing, so I am interested in anything you've learned from your research.

I'm also thinking I'll do something with the ignition, like MSD, indexing plugs, side gapping.
  3. lasitter
    07-18-2010 12:28 PM - permalink
    I have a 96 Std Cab Long box 4.9L SFI/MAF like yours, and I'm spending a lot of time scoping out answers to bumping the performance.
    Needless to say, I think the engine has a lot to offer, and annoys me no end to see people jumping into your thread to tell you that you're stupid for wanting what you want.

I have gotten significant HP gains and am looking for still more.

My 4x2 couldn't get power on the ground like your 4x4, so I had a Lockrite installed. Launches like nobody's business now.

Got rid of the M50D in favor of a ZF which could handle any future power upgrades.

K&F filter and modest timing bumps were cheap and easy and I absolutely DID see a difference.