Conversation Between kingford72 and fmc400
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. kingford72
    11-27-2011 03:50 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the input, Jeff.
  2. fmc400
    11-27-2011 09:15 AM - permalink
    Hi Tom,

That's a cool idea, and no I don't think it would hurt the reading. If anything, it would make the reading more accurate (because now you have a clean ground instead of having to go through a ground strap, frame, crossmember, etc). The range of the sending unit is 10 to 70 ohms (full to empty, respectively). The long length of ground wire you're talking about probably would not add more than 0.1 to 0.2 ohm, which is way less than the lowest possible reading of the sending unit. Way too small for the gauge to notice a difference.

Jeff
  3. kingford72
    11-26-2011 08:45 PM - permalink
    Hello fmc400

I wanted to get your opinion on something, I want to wire up a new harness from the connector on the left fender the whole way to the back of the truck, due to hacked up wiring. I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to put a ground wire in it for the return for the fuel sender so I can ground it to a central stud in the engine bay behind the carb where my chassis to engine ground is, and gauges etc. etc. The gauge doesn't read for the midship tank as of now. Would adding this long length of wire change the gauge reading at all, the truck is a 75 crew cab. It has dual tanks so 2 wires for the midship tank and it has a in cab tank that eventually I want to change out for a behind the rear axle tank, so 2 more wires for that.

Thanks Tom