Conversation Between LARIAT 85 and Ghost Tas
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. LARIAT 85
    09-24-2016 10:06 AM - permalink
    What happens if you take it out of overdrive and place the selector in DRIVE? Overdrive usually comes in around 45 MPH. A way to test it is to stop the vehicle, and then slowly accelerate, keeping the RPMs at 1500. If the TV cable is adjusted correctly, the AOD should shift to 2nd gear at 15 - 17 MPH. When you adjusted the TV cable, did you make sure it was connected to the throttle body securely? The bushing that the TV cable connects to on the throttle body is known to fall apart. When that happens, the TV cable comes off and ruins the clutches inside the transmission. Replacement bushings are made of brass to solve the problem. $2000 seems a bit high to me. I had my own AOD rebuilt 8 years ago and it was only $1000.
  2. Ghost Tas
    09-23-2016 06:34 PM - permalink
    Thanks. You're right--throttle body EFI. Tranny: first, it just slipped out of gear into neutral, twice, and at low speeds. Checked and topped off the fluid with the required type, but it did it again, so replaced the transmission filter, gasket, and put in new fluid. That seemed to solve the problem, but the following day it started slipping again, this time at around 35-40 mph, and go into neutral, or rev high, as if the Overdrive wasn't kicking in. I read more on this site, and tacled the TV Cable adjustment. I've read every post I can find on here about how to do it, and nothing seems to be fixing the problem. I'm wondering how likely it is that the Overdrive Band is burned out? Think it's time for a rebuild (about $2000 at a shop), or replace (unknown $)?
  3. LARIAT 85
    09-23-2016 09:28 AM - permalink
    Sure. But my AOD is connected to a carburetor, where yours would be connected to the throttle body of an EFI motor. What are your issues?
  4. Ghost Tas
    09-22-2016 11:48 PM - permalink
    Hey there. I'm new here, but I've been stalking your posts RE: the AOD transmission for about a week now (I own an 87 F-250 Lariat XLT 4x4, with the 5.0 and the AOD). Been having issues of my own, and tried everything I could find on these threads, to no avail. I'm wondering if I can pick your brain for more ideas?