Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and Travles with Barley
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    05-31-2018 08:21 AM - permalink
    Congratulations! I'm glad you gt it fixed.

Mark
  2. Travles with Barley
    05-30-2018 09:37 PM - permalink
    Success!!!!!

I made it to the Boarder and back to where i was camping (4 1/2 Hrs each way). Today I took apart the Main valve body and found drill chips in the Solenoid Regulator piston, along with bits in other various circuits.. I cleaned it all up, blew it out and put it all back together and........ YES!!!! it is working as intended.

Thank you so so much for responding to my messages. You truly are a lifesaver!

Jeff
  3. Mark Kovalsky
    05-27-2018 10:26 AM - permalink
    You can remove the valve body with the trans in the truck. I don't think any check balls will fall out. The valve body is not my area of expertise, so I'm not certain.

Mark
  4. Travles with Barley
    05-27-2018 10:23 AM - permalink
    Hi Mark,

I have almost made it to the Border. When I began the trip yesterday, the OD was already flashing. So I left it in Limp mode thinking the added pressure would help from slipping. About 2/3 through the 270Km trip I reset the Fault and turned OD off. The Transmission still behaved the same, but didn't throw a code. (2nd Manual and 4th in D only)

I don't know if i will have internet at the border so i wanted to ask you if I can remove the main valve body while the transmission is still in the truck? Will i have check ball falling in my face?

Thanks again,

Jeff
  5. Mark Kovalsky
    05-26-2018 06:51 AM - permalink
    It will reset limp mode every time you turn off the key. Next time you start it turn off overdrive and see if it will stay in third gear. 200°F is nothing to worry about. That won't hurt it at all.

Mark
  6. Travles with Barley
    05-25-2018 09:50 PM - permalink
    Ah Ha... well further developments. I found out i need to cross the border by the 28th or they could impound my truck...,
    So I am "limping" this from the middle of Colombia to the Ecuador Border. I drove about 200 miles today in mostly flat tropical highways.
    Just in the last 20 miles it finally threw a code P1728 Slip...YIKES i hope i am not destroying my TC. the temp goes from 180 to an occasional 200. and the oil is in good shape.
    I don'[t really have much of a choice, I am trying my best to Baby it. is it better to drive it in Limp mode, or reset it and turn OD off??

Thanks again.. you are my only lifeline right now..
    i appreciate your help

Jeff
  7. Mark Kovalsky
    05-25-2018 08:38 PM - permalink
    Yes, it could. It seems that either the 1-2 shift valve is stuck or the solenoid (SS2) is stuck. Most likely it's the valve since a stuck solenoid should set a solenoid performance code.

Mark
  8. Travles with Barley
    05-25-2018 07:58 PM - permalink
    Side Note:

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but a week or two ago I bought some gauges. The tranny temp gauge goes into the pressure port on the drivers side of the tranny. Well, the bolt was frozen and stripped out. I eventually had to drill and easy-out the bolt. I was really careful trying not to get any chips into the system, and even let a bit of fluid drip out hoping to carry and debris out with it. Everything had been working fine for a few trips back and forth to town. Perhaps a small chip worked its way into the system???? would this explain my symptoms?
  9. Travles with Barley
    05-25-2018 07:57 PM - permalink
    Thanks for getting back to me

No, There is +12 v on pin 1 and 12, SS1 goes to ground when i am in park, reverse, and when I just start to drive. Then when I'm going like 10 mph SS1 and SS2 both go to ground (2nd) so the PCM seems to be working properly, but it never shifts.
    It also shows the coast clutch solenoid is energized.
    So, I'm getting power to the valve body, and the PCM is sending the right signal to the solenoids.
    Not in Limp mode (no OD blinking) and no faults

I really appreciate your help with this, cause I am stuck.
  10. Mark Kovalsky
    05-22-2018 09:39 PM - permalink
    Jeff,

Is there +12v to both SS1 and SS2? I think that's where your problem lies.

Mark