Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and JoeJoe13
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    06-11-2015 10:18 AM - permalink
    To test the bypass get two containers, each at least a gallon, and a friend.

Disconnect the line that enters the rear of the transmission. Point it into the first container. Have your friend start the engine. Leave it in park and at idle.

If fluid sprays out of the transmission, not the line, STOP and shut the engine off!

Once the flow is steady, which should only be a couple seconds, move the line to the second container for EXACTLY 15 seconds, then move it back to the first container and shut the engine off.

If there is at least one quart in the second container it passes the flow test and the coolers and lines are not restricted. If there is less than a quart, or the fluid sprays out of the trans it fails. This means either the lines or coolers are restricted, or the bypass has failed. Sonnex makes a rebuild kit for the bypass that is both cheap and easy to install.
  2. JoeJoe13
    06-10-2015 09:58 PM - permalink
    Do you think it may be the bipass and it needs a new one. I also question if it is the proper cooler. How can I test for an obstruction?
  3. JoeJoe13
    06-10-2015 03:27 PM - permalink
    He told me he blew in the lines and there was no restrictions in it, i guess no pressure when we blue on the lines. I drove it home and the temp went higher than ever before up to 220. The cooler on the front was ice cold and trans pan was hot.I am starting to think maybe the bypass is bad and the fluid isnt getting to the cooler. The fluid is still pink and does not smell burnt so I want to fix the problem before any issues arise. The truck has 137000 miles on it. I have attached a picture of the cooler for you to see. Please help me any help would be appreciated. Thanks Joe.
    I am trying to post pictures of the cooler but it wont let me post them. If you have an email I can send them there. Sorry I had to post it in two since to many characters.
  4. JoeJoe13
    06-10-2015 03:26 PM - permalink
    I have a weston bar on the front end that took the majority of the hit. Shortly after the transmission would start to run warmer than normal. It would be 20 degrees outside and my transmission temp sensor would be reading around 140. Now that the weather is getting warmer the transmission is heating up a lot more. I took it to a guy to have him look at it and thought maybe the cooler was clogged or something like that and possibly put a larger cooler on it. He called me up a few days later and said their was a larger cooler already on it but it was not hooked up. It is a black one mounted on the front of the radiator. He said he cut the lines off of the old one and there was a slight bend in the one line so he cut a little higher than that line and then hooked up the cooler.
  5. JoeJoe13
    06-10-2015 03:25 PM - permalink
    Hi Mark,
    So I have tried to research my problem and I always see you posting on a lot of truck web sites so since I have a transmission issue and you seem to be the best I figured I would come right to the source of knowledge and hope you can help me. I purchased the truck over a year ago and never had a problem with the transmission. The only issue was a leaking transmission pan gasket so I changed it put the same fluid that came out back in it since it looked brand new and didnt smell burnt or anything. So fast forward time and my girlfriend was driving the truck over the winter and lost control of the truck and spun it around and hit the front end of the truck into a rock wall.