Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and Bdhorton
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Bdhorton
    11-16-2016 10:12 AM - permalink
    Good Morning Mark. Did some more checking. The transfer case is stuck in 4WD LO and there are aluminum pieces and plastic in the bottom of the transfer case. The range shift fork obviously broke which is probably why it is stuck in low and sometimes neutraling out. (Range Gear Floating) Going to pull the case and see what damage is done and rebuild if it is salvageable. Thanks for your help.
  2. Bdhorton
    11-07-2016 02:04 PM - permalink
    Mark, I have been doing some more research here on FTE. I think I have a transfer case problem for sure. I actually think I might be stuck in 4WD Low, hence the reason the speedometer will only get up to 55 or so with full throttle, The switches for the front differential are working and locking and unlocking the front wheels. I am still trying to figure out the intermittent lights on the dash. The other day the brake light would not come on at all even when the e-brake was on. Now the brake light started working but is on steady will not go off. Checked the connection at the master cylinder and it fine. Also the temp gage pegged out a couple of times. I think I will pull the xfer case motor and check the shaft to see if I can rotate the shaft and also see if the motor will cycle disconnected. The electrical issues though I am at a loss.
  3. Bdhorton
    11-07-2016 09:45 AM - permalink
    Good Morning Mark. This weekend I installed the new alternator, solenoid pack and fresh fluid and filter on the 97 Expedition 4WD. I am still having strange things happening. I have all 4 wheels off the ground and I did a trial run. When in drive I am getting a 1-2 upshift about 18 MPH. I am getting 2-3 upshift around 37 MPH and 3-4 around 45. When I manually shift I can get the 1-2 upshift around 10 mph. Also the speedometer will not go above 60 MPH. I am also getting the neutraling out every now and then as the transfer case seems to cycle for some reason and stuck in no gear. The 4WD and 4WD low lights do not work unless I disconnect the battery wait a few minutes. Seems like I have a strange electrical problem somewhere. Maybe GEM module or PCM??? Any thoughts? I still do not have a CEL or any OD light Blinking. When in 4th gear the OD switch does work taking it to 3rd gear.
  4. Bdhorton
    11-04-2016 02:12 PM - permalink
    I didn't think so. Well any way I have a new alternator, new shift solenoid pack. All of the valve bodies checked out fine. I removed each and every valve, spring and pistons. No binding or scoring. I have cleaned everything up. I also got a new VSS for the rear end. Going to put it all back together with new fluid and filter. I am also going to drain the torque converter. Hopefully I will have good news. I will let you know. Thanks Again.
  5. Mark Kovalsky
    11-04-2016 02:02 PM - permalink
    No, that should not cause a problem.
  6. Bdhorton
    11-04-2016 01:44 PM - permalink
    Thank You Mark, I will reuse it. You have a lot of help. By the way I do have one more question. I have a new solenoid pack. When I pulled off my old solenoid pack there was a little bit of tranny fluid in the socket. I am not sure if this would cause a problem as the lower end of the pins are bathed in fluid in the pan. Would this cause a problem shifting?
  7. Mark Kovalsky
    11-04-2016 01:36 PM - permalink
    If the gasket doesn't have any rips, I'd reuse it.

I don't know part numbers. There is another guy here, NumberDummy, who does know part numbers.

Mark
  8. Bdhorton
    11-04-2016 10:03 AM - permalink
    Good Morning Mark, need some help here please. I am getting ready to put my valve bodies back on my 97 expedition AWD with the E4OD tranny. The gasket between the separator plate and the valve bodies has a part number F6TP-7D100-AA. I cannot find this part number on the web. I did find part # F81Z-7D100-AA. It looks like the gasket but I am unsure of the correct gasket that I need. Can you help me out with the correct gasket part #. The old gasket looks fine no rips or tears still on the tranny should I even replace it or not? Thanks in advance.
  9. Bdhorton
    11-02-2016 12:01 PM - permalink
    Wonderful thank you. The reason I was asking is because the xfer case shift relay is sporadic. I can swith to 4H or 4L and sometimes it will not engage. Also at one point I had to disconnect the battery for a minute or so in order to get it to cycle back to 2WD from 4WD. Acting strange thinking the Shift Relay is going bad I can hear it clicking then it stops. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery seems to make it work only for once though. Really strange.
  10. Mark Kovalsky
    11-02-2016 11:34 AM - permalink
    The PCM does know when the transfer case is in 4 low. It changes the shift schedules to accommodate the lower ratio of 4 low. It does not prevent shifting when in 4 low, it will still shift all the way up to overdrive.