Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and PatrickO
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    08-23-2014 12:14 PM - permalink
    Why would you need to swap the tailshaft and housing?

The first thing to do to diagnose the trans is to put a 0-350 PSI pressure gauge in the test port. See what the pressures are in every gear selector position. Check at idle and at WOT in R and D.
  2. PatrickO
    08-23-2014 10:56 AM - permalink
    Regarding below:

Please and thank you for any input. Had to remove the niceties and gratitude for character limits.

No codes on OBD II OR true scanner.

I have a line on a used but low mileage v10 5r110. Swapping tailshaft/housing should allow for a clean bolt up, I think..?
  3. PatrickO
    08-23-2014 10:53 AM - permalink
    Truck is an 03' Excursion, 4wd, 6.0, 5r110, 121k

Background: Once in a blue moon failure to enter reverse, shift to park or neurtal and back to R, no problem.

Scenario: Roadtrip up and down local mountain. Fluid quality and level good.

Problem: Significant shift flare 3-5, with a light flare 2-3, 5-6. Also, I notice that off-idle (in drive, off brake and foot moving toward accelerator), my trans slip reads up to 50-60 RPM. When it successfully locks gear, it is able to put power to the wheels very well. If you miss, or try to gas into a flare it seems to rev and make no power. Possibly slipping 100% but it doesn't "feel" like a slip issue, if that makes sense.

Fluid quality is still good with no debris. Negative disconnect and tranny re-learn but to no avail.

Possible direct clutch solenoid and/or pressure control solenoid or fried clutch pack?

Thanks,

P