Conversation Between AXracer and underthebridgejim
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. underthebridgejim
    11-02-2015 12:17 AM - permalink
    Chuck, I wanted to thank you for the rep you have sent my way, its very much appreciated.
  2. underthebridgejim
    12-09-2014 01:38 AM - permalink
    Your advice is much appreciated. PS. I just ordered a 4 1/2" shrinking disc from Wolfs, I think it may just do the trick. It may be awhile B4 I get to it, my Rheumatoid A. and the cold don't go well together, but I will. LOL, I always do eventually.
  3. AXracer
    12-08-2014 09:08 PM - permalink
    Don't forget to change the contact tip and drive roller for the smaller wire. Let me know how you like it. Gary was very impressed with it. I'm going to cover the shrinking disk as well as some other smothing techniques as soon as we finish patching the entire fender. The shrinking disk works very well to smooth out (lower) protruding bumps. It will not bring up low spots, and works best where you can apply the disk nearly flat to the surface like if sanding. Since the tailgate has the raised lettering and dividers it may be somewhat difficult to use, especially the big disk. There is a small diameter one that fits a 4.5" angle grinder that is good for smaller areas. The size disk is not as important as only working a small area (about 8x8") before quenching and keeping the surrounding metal as cool as possible. Quench quickly with COLD water in a trigger spray bottle, such as you might use for window cleaner, and a wet rag. Quench until cool to the touch.
  4. underthebridgejim
    12-07-2014 03:44 PM - permalink
    I just ordered an 11lb spool of ESAP .023 easy grind. Thanks for the tip.
  5. underthebridgejim
    11-20-2014 12:59 AM - permalink
    I cant wait for the piece you mite do ,on using a shrinking disc. I've had a disk, but never thought of using it to smoothing out my tail gate. I just wanted you to know there is interest in the practice. Hope you decide to it.
  6. underthebridgejim
    10-30-2012 04:44 PM - permalink
    The fabrication work of your dash and console is very impressive, and inspiring.