Conversation Between Walston and jamhh
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. jamhh
    08-16-2014 06:33 PM - permalink
    any chance of getting a close up pic of the ram heads where you connected to the pipes
  2. Walston
    08-01-2014 04:18 PM - permalink
    PCV: I used the top of the draft tube and a rubber grommet to make a place to put a PCV. I then added a oil fill cap that was vented. Works good, I don't have any good pictures handy. Here is a good article with some set ups and pictures: Y-block PCV | The H.A.M.B.
  3. Walston
    08-01-2014 04:07 PM - permalink
    The mufflers are round Smithy from Summitt Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pt...FSdk7AodyhAAQw

From the ram horns to the muffler I made a pattern with copper tubing and took it to a muffler shop and they bent me 2 pieces. They also had the ends and gaskets for connecting to the ram horns. I went behind the axle. It is a little tight on the driver side with the steering box, etc. I did not connect them together but I plan to at some point, it makes the engine more balanced. After the mufflers I put a short pipe and dumped them towards the ground under the bed before the rear axle.

I removed the drop tube and converted to a PCV valve and took vacuum off the intake manifold. I will look for some pictures.
  4. jamhh
    08-01-2014 08:38 AM - permalink
    What did you do for exhaust after the ram heads? Did you y pipe or run straight back? What muffler did you use? Did you drop infront or behind axle?

Also, what did you use in the drop tube? I used steel wool, only because I couldn' think of anything better
  5. Walston
    03-01-2014 07:23 AM - permalink
    From 1954 - 1956 the Y-block engines were painted yellow. Finding documentation for colors from 1957-1960 has been very difficult, in fact I gave up. Some have said that different manufacturing sites painted them different colors. You may check with the guys on the Y-block forum (they have there own section of FTE) maybe they have some new information. Sorry I couldn't help much, good luck.
  6. jamhh
    02-27-2014 12:42 PM - permalink
    I have read most of your post, and you have helped me out a few times. Now my newest problems seems to lie with tons of confusion. I have a Canadian built 1959 F100 with the original 272. I'm trying to find the factory engine block color. My heads are a silver/grey, as is the intake, the valve covers are a orange/redish, and the oil bath is black. Any suggetions?