Conversation Between someday and Mark Kovalsky
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. someday
    03-02-2012 02:26 PM - permalink
    i ended up using valvoline maxlife dex/mercon. Its synthetic 'meets' dex 6 and is only $4 a quart if you buy it in gallons at AZ
  2. someday
    02-28-2012 07:02 PM - permalink
    Thats what Ive always believed.

Its a 2003 cheby 4l60e trans with dexron 3 which is still available but dexron 6 is now recommended which is synthetic. Now im a little scared to put in synthetic because of more hearsay about switching to synthetic and the associated 'problems.' I think i have three fluid options: dexron 3, HM dexron 3, or dexron 6. what fluid would you recommend?
  3. Mark Kovalsky
    02-28-2012 08:01 AM - permalink
    Not in my opinion. I think that this got started because so many people don't service the trans at all. Then it develops problems so they change the fluid hoping it will fix it. It's too late, the trans was doomed before the fluid change and new fluid didn't save it.

Metal particles in the trans only increase wear, they can't hold the clutches together.

If it were mine I wouldn't hesitate to change the fluid.

Mark
  4. someday
    02-27-2012 10:09 PM - permalink
    hello, i would like your personal opinion about changing the fluid and filter for a high mileage vehicle. It has 140k mi and has never been serviced so i want to get it all changed out. The fluid condition is still reddish and doesnt burn the nostrils too bad. When i heard stories of service on a neglected trans that soon after takes a dump was not because of the fluid change but human error, fluid type, etc. Ive heard stuff like when trans fluid has been inside too long the metal particles keep the clutches working. Now that im faced with this situation im a little afraid to do it. Is there any truth that changing trans fluid will kill the clutches or hurt the trans?