Conversation Between Tom and cre8fun
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Tom
    05-08-2016 09:33 PM - permalink
    Tom
    You say "the controller"...you mean the brake controller?

If it has the brake controller it has the rest of the heavy-duty towing package. So perhaps all of your dealer's inventory has it?

It's confusing because the owner's guide has separate charts for HD towing package and the regular one. But I can't find it as an option on the "build and price" website, so I pulled the order guide for the Expedition, where it's an option. Then I pulled the Expedition owner's guide and found the exact same chart for towing capacities, which leads me to believe the towing package is the same between the two of them...much like the rest of the running gear.

Just make sure you get one with the factory brake controller and you're good!
  2. cre8fun
    05-08-2016 09:19 PM - permalink
    Tom - I appreciate you looking up that info. I was in the dealer for over an hour. they pulled on everyone and could not get a definitive answer. they pulled this page :
    2015 Lincoln Navigator | View the Different Luxurious Packages | Lincoln.com
    and on it is says heavy tow is standard on all navigators. then they looked to see if option 356 was on any of their 15's or 16's and the answer was no. so they deduced that it's on ALL of them. UGH. I'm really having trouble finding a definitive way to determine. I guess if a truck has the 7 pin AND the 4 pin along with a controller, maybe that's the best way? any thoughts?

or is there a sticker on the truck that would note a 14,000 GCWR rather than the 12K? open to any thoughts.
  3. Tom
    05-08-2016 07:27 PM - permalink
    Tom
    Hi Cre8fun, welcome to FTE!

Unfortunately that's not the kind of thing the "Ask an engineer" forum is for. I did some searching around online and figured this out though. There's an optional heavy duty trailer tow package that's needed to have more than 12,100 lb GCWR. Here's what it includes, straight from the order guide:

Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package
     Class IV Trailer Hitch receiver
     Wiring harness w/4 & 7 pin connector
     Heavy-duty auxiliary transmission oil cooler
     Heavy-duty radiator
     Electronic braking wiring kit
     Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Hope this helps! You definitely want that package if you're going to be pulling more than 6,000 lbs.
  4. cre8fun
    05-08-2016 11:45 AM - permalink
    Tom - I'm new user and as such I can't post to the ford engineer's forum. I'm in the process of buying a 2015 navigator and need the heavy tow package. I found conflicting Ford documents on the net (one saying all Navigators come standard with the heavy tow and others saying tow rating is 6300 without the package and 8600 with for the 4x4). I spent an hour at the dealer, they pulled all their guys in and no one could verify either way. I really don't want to buy a truck and burn it up because it really did not have the heavy tow. Any shot you could post a thread asking if all '15 and up navigators come std with heavy two or possibly you know where to find the answer? Thanks in advance - Michael