Conversation Between Tom and dtomstant
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Tom
  2. dtomstant
    05-30-2014 07:40 PM - permalink
    Shop replaced worn pump seal and bushing and added a Hayden 405 tube & fin cooler downstream of the factory cooler... What's the easiest way to add a trans temp gauge (via OBD)? And does the bypass valve you speak of open at a certain fluid pressure value?
    Tom
  3. Tom
    05-27-2014 06:30 PM - permalink
    Tom
    I really suggest getting a cooler from a 6.0L truck, it's just about the biggest thing available and will mount in place of your factory cooler. If you add a cooler in series with your factory one you will increase restriction, and that risks opening the valve that bypasses the cooler.
  4. dtomstant
    05-27-2014 06:28 PM - permalink
    Saw the light, and we're fixing what's broken and adding a larger cooler plus some electronics to monitor temps, etc. Is there a minimum GVW value for an after market cooler and can they be added to the existing or simply replace the existing cooler, depending on space available?
    Thanks,
  5. Tom
    05-27-2014 05:25 PM - permalink
    Tom
    Hi Tom!

I think I made my opinion pretty clear in the thread, don't pay for what isn't broken. These transmissions aren't as reliable as newer models, but with regular maintenance most seem to be able to hit 200,000 miles without issue. I'd just fix the seal and put the rest of the money in the bank for when something else breaks.

Yeah you'll be kicking yourself if your transmission fails next week, but I don't think that's very likely.
  6. dtomstant
    05-27-2014 11:02 AM - permalink
    4R100 dye test showed front seal plus TC. Weighing a 1) ford reman or 2) seals and TC or BTS reman. About a $2500 difference plus an extra year's warranty on a reman (ford).
    Any advice appreciated..
    Thanks,
    Tom
    2001 F250 CC SB PSD 97000mi mostly stock