Conversation Between teds74ford and PapaMatt
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. teds74ford
    09-18-2014 11:00 PM - permalink
    The clear kept it from chalking. Not sure about UV protection. As far as the roller, my recent paint jobs arent mirror smooth. Unthinned rustoleum has serious orange peel. Thinning would definitely help that, but require more coats. I guess it depends on how glossy you want. Clear definitely brings up the gloss.
    The rolling is cheaper, but not faster than either spray. Much less masking, though. In the end, probably all three are fine. Its really your call. Cans are probably easiest, but most expensive and dont cover as thick
  2. teds74ford
    09-18-2014 07:46 PM - permalink
    The message cut me off. Here's part 2:

As far as the durability of the spray cans, the clear is almost mandatory if you want the paint to last. I don't have the truck anymore, but I did have it for 4 years after I painted it. The truck sat outside all year and got washed and waxed about 2x per year. It was still fine when I sold it.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, just let me know.
  3. teds74ford
    09-18-2014 07:45 PM - permalink
    Hey, hopefully I can answer all your questions. I used rustoleum hunter green gloss, rustoleum auto primer, and rustoleum crystal clear enamel. The clear dried funny and needed wet sanding to really look good. It was too grainy.

Now to address the other stuff. What I found was that I spend several hundred dollars using spray cans. This was with 3 coats of primer, 4 of paint, and 3 of clear. Not exactly budget. I did spray with my HVLP gun, but then switched again to just rolling it on unthinned. My reasons for a truck are the same as yours, and I can't see putting that much money into just paint. The rattle cans are MUCH thinner, but make getting a shine easier since they aren't as orange peeled. The roller method is much quicker and far cheaper. I just did my crew using 1 qt rustoleum hunter green gloss, and 1 qt rustoleum white metal primer. It thinned it out to a mint green. I have about half a quart left, and it cost me about $22 or so. It is definitely a 20 footer at best.
  4. PapaMatt
    09-18-2014 07:06 PM - permalink
    Hi Ted. I came across some of your old posts about how you sprayed your green ford with rattle can primer, paint and clear. I am thinking about doing this with my 66 F100 as like you can't stomach the thought of paying a few grand for a paint job that's I could scratch up going hunting or taking the truck to do about anything.

It sounds like from some of your later posts tht you moved on of to rolling and then to one of her the turbine guns. Do you still think the rattle cans were a bad idea? How is the paint holding up now? I see the cost benefit of using the gun but one thing i like about the rattle cans is that I can do one panel at a time without cleaning the gun etc.

I appreciate any tips! Oh and what brand of primer, pint and clear did you use in the cans?

Thanks!