Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
New User

Cole F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation 2002 Ford F150 5.4 engine advancements?

Im a proud owner of a 2002 ford F-150 5.4 it is not the 7700lb package.
i was hoping some of you could help me figure this out. ive already replaces my coil packs twice now. but what i want to know is it safe to use the accell coil pack instead fords? an i want know make a list of things i can do motor wise of how to tune this bad baby up. for starters with ignition. throttle bodies, ex. anything you can think of that wont cause problems but simply make this motor to even better performance. "i do off road in the desert i have king arm suspension an i do have an automatic trans.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Posting Guru

Hybris is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Hybris is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
From what I have read on the board over the years is that unless you are planning to go nuts with engine mods (Supercharger, head work, pistions, etc...) and race the truck as well then the Motorcraft coils are good for everything else.

Now as for stuff to make the 2v 5.4 more powerful I can name a few things:

Exhaust Headers and a high flow muffler as the stock system actually flows pretty well already.
Once the exhaust is done you might gain more power by adding a Cold Air Intake (K&N or Volant for example) but this is a hotly contested item on a N\A engine at least.
A Tuner like a Superchips or SCT X3 tuner (they're a site sponsor by the way.) will be good way to add power to the truck but in my opinion it should be a finishing touch so the tuner can take into a account all the other modifications done on the engine.
Don't bother with Throttle Body Spacers they don't do much of anything but lighten your wallet.
Replacing your crankshaft driven fan with a electric fan can free up power as well (I would suggest Troyer Performance's Dual 16" fan kit)
There are underdrive pulleys that you can get for the other various belt driven accessories but I can't say what it will do to the overall drive-ability of the truck.

After all this then the next step would be internal engine mods for this I would really start looking at Mustang parts sites like ModMax - 4.6 and 5.4 Modular Experts for example since more then a few 2v 4.6 parts will fit the 5.4 that is to say not all of them will fit obviously.

If I have made any mistakes please feel free to correct me.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Postmaster

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
Don't use ACCEL coils.
They are made in PRC and donot last very long before you have failures from shorted windings to open windings.
Been there!
The programs these trucks run on are very conservative to be sure the motors are 'tough' over the long term and not for full power they are capable of.
Other mfgers do the same thing.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 AM
New User

Cole F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok well im still having this hesitating response an a spitting jump feel when cruising on the highway. it was once a coil pack problem but now i think it can be my maf sensor, throttle body, or another sort of ignition. Help please ive ran out of ideas an to rule this one out. even when i first replaces my coil packs in febuary the engine light has never been on once but this painful sound continues. im open to ideas even small ones.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
02, 2002, 2010, 54, advancements, codes, coil, cole, engine, f150, ford, mod, pings, power, trucks