Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior User

SC_Dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rough idle at start-up

First start-up of the day it has a rough idle for about 10 seconds, then levels out. During the rough idle I see some white smoke. Any ideas?

David
Old 10-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
the cold is setting in...i see snow this morning.... test your glow plug's..first check the relay then each GP
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,SRP 1.1 for oil,H-11 stud's,"NEW" alliant 315/200 hybrids, all supplied by unlimited diesel..shimmed 910's, DI push rod's, Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401 ..tuned by Gearhead..

1988 F250 7,3 IDI with 112k-bone stock plow truck..
Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Senior User

Thanks Ron. I guess I'll have to run it in to the shop because I don't know how to check either. But, I appreciate you getting me headed in the right direction.

Thanks, David
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior User

Here is the latest.......

Dealership tested the GP's and the GP relay, all good.

Found number 8 injector bad, replaced and cleaned the other 7, also did a compression test, compression good..

Got it back, same problem, back to the dealership.

Dealer replaced ICP sensor. Next cold start, same problem.

Can anyone PLEASE help steer me in the right direction as to what this problem could be. I'm at my wits end!

David
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior User

SilverBullet131313 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Switch oil over to Rotella 5 -40 Synthetic. This will fix your problem if its when you first start the truck and its cold out and it does a kinda "bucking" idle jump for 5-10 seconds, then settles in normal.
1994 Toyota Supra
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet131313 View Post
Switch oil over to Rotella 5 -40 Synthetic. This will fix your problem if its when you first start the truck and its cold out and it does a kinda "bucking" idle jump for 5-10 seconds, then settles in normal.
It's a rough idle, very choppy, it lasts for about 10 - 12 seconds. After the first 2-3 seconds of the choppy idle I get white smoke from the tail pipe. Once the rough idle stops the white smoke stops. On a warm restart, no rough idle, no smoke, it only occurs after the truck sits and gets cold.

Does this sound the 5-40 Rotella synthetic will cure my problem? I'm a little curious what this could be caused from, I have used the Motorcraft 5-40 conventional oil since it was new and I have 196k on it now. Thanks, David
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
It will help, just for smoothness, but this sounds more like a Glow Plug Relay(GPR) Next cold start try jumpering the posts on the relay for about 30 seconds to a minute or so.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
It will help, just for smoothness, but this sounds more like a Glow Plug Relay(GPR) Next cold start try jumpering the posts on the relay for about 30 seconds to a minute or so.
Thanks Big Al,

I put my test light on the load side of the GPR to see how long it is energized. I checked it twice and both time it stayed on for 35 seconds, so, when I cranked the truck the next time I paid no attention to the dash light and waited 35 seconds before I started the truck but got the same result. Rough idle and white smoke. This would indicate that the GPR is ok, correct? David
Old 11-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Senior User

santacruzf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not sure if this would help all that much but have you tried cycling your glow plugs a couple times before firing up the truck?

From my understanding, white smoke on ignition comes from unburnt fuel. There is a good chance your engine is surging cause of the cold, mine does that too some mornings.

My $.02, find a GOOD diesel mechanic in your town and stop going to the dealership. They'll @#$@#$*@&#$(*&# you all day long. I've never heard of a dealership that has the customer's best interest in mind. A local small shop with a good owner might be the other way around.
LOREN - 2002 Reg Cab F250 4x4, 7.3, 6SPD w/short throw, 6637, 4" DP to 5" Stacks, Gauges, DP-Tuner, WW, EBPV Delete, Cackle Cure, HPX, AIH Delete, Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, Foil Delete, Rear Hellwig sway bar, Power Slots/Hawk Pads, '07 Headlights/HID's, 18" XD Monsters on 34" BFG DuraTracs, and Royal Purple oil.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Senior User

santacruzf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
any engine codes? having a code puller is always to good investment, under $100 for something basic. AE costs a lot more and is worth the $$.
LOREN - 2002 Reg Cab F250 4x4, 7.3, 6SPD w/short throw, 6637, 4" DP to 5" Stacks, Gauges, DP-Tuner, WW, EBPV Delete, Cackle Cure, HPX, AIH Delete, Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, Foil Delete, Rear Hellwig sway bar, Power Slots/Hawk Pads, '07 Headlights/HID's, 18" XD Monsters on 34" BFG DuraTracs, and Royal Purple oil.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior User

Thank you santacruz, good information and good advise. David
Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior User

SilverBullet131313 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
It's a rough idle, very choppy, it lasts for about 10 - 12 seconds. After the first 2-3 seconds of the choppy idle I get white smoke from the tail pipe. Once the rough idle stops the white smoke stops. On a warm restart, no rough idle, no smoke, it only occurs after the truck sits and gets cold.

Does this sound the 5-40 Rotella synthetic will cure my problem? I'm a little curious what this could be caused from, I have used the Motorcraft 5-40 conventional oil since it was new and I have 196k on it now. Thanks, David
David,
You be amazed how the Rotella 5 -40 Synthetic smooths cold start ups and idle characteristics.
It definitely would not hurt to put that in next oil change.

As far as what else it could be, i would lean towards the GPR as others are saying too. WHen mine when bad it would pump out white smoke when trying to start then slowly go away as it got warm. Definitely would switch that out first since honestly that is the most common problem. Its very cheap and take 10 minutes to switch.
1994 Toyota Supra
Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Senior User

Thanks Silverbullet, I appreciate it. DAvid
Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Senior User

Is it possible that 1 or more injector(s) are not closing and therefore dripping a little fuel so then I have excess fuel at start-up?

David
Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
I had a GPR that would work intermittently and drove me nuts. It would light the test light but not at the full voltage that was needed to properly energize the glowplugs hot enough for the truck to start normally. I think you need to swap the GPR.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2002, 2003, 2005, 54l, 60, 73, cold, diesel, idle, powerstroke, rough, rought, start, started, startup