Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior User

2cylguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Carqueat fuel filters?

I know what everyone is going to say, but, has anyone used the Carquest fuel filters with the integral top? I need to change my fuel filter and they are having a sale. First step in finding a low power under load issue. Thanks, Tom

P.S. Hopefully I will have guages and a 6.0 tranny cooler in the VERY near future so I know what the heck my truck is doing!!
99.5, SC, 7.3 PSD, DRW, AT, 4:10 rear, 6637, Pete's filter cover, Isspro EV2 gauges, LED GPR Mod.
1981 Corvette
1957 Chevy 4 Dr. Wagon
4-6 Misc. Antique John Deere Tractors

Last edited by 2cylguy; 10-08-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Elder User

robs01f250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have not used them but I cant see why it would hurt. As long as you keep a fresh fuel filter in your truck you should be fine.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:54 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Our company uses Carquest products on our shop vehicles and contract repairs. We have an account with them and they deliver. We just installed one of their fuel filters in an e'99 PSD. It fit just fine, with no problems. The gasket on the lid of the Carquest filter has the square cut o-ring. Just lube it with a light film of oil before installing. IIRC, they are made by WIX and we have had no issues with thier filters. Go for it!
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II Modified GTP38R, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, Truetrac rear, 6.0 Trans cooler ...SOLD...
'13 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 5.0 Short Box
Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
I haven't used them either but one thing to remember, if your truck has the lid that if separate from the filter (Motorcraft/Rancor OEM style) keep the lid in case you switch back.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 10-08-2010, 09:58 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris View Post
I haven't used them either but one thing to remember, if your truck has the lid that if separate from the filter (Motorcraft/Rancor OEM style) keep the lid in case you switch back.
Good point, Chris. I keep my lid in a Ziploc baggie in my tool box and usually take a spare filter with me on trips.
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II Modified GTP38R, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, Truetrac rear, 6.0 Trans cooler ...SOLD...
'13 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 5.0 Short Box
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Senior User

Oh, believe me I will keep the original. That is the one thing I haven't done is to keep a spare anything with me. My stupidity. Especially since we purchased a camper last year and have done more towing. I will be purchasing a spare fuel filter and CPS to keep in the truck.
99.5, SC, 7.3 PSD, DRW, AT, 4:10 rear, 6637, Pete's filter cover, Isspro EV2 gauges, LED GPR Mod.
1981 Corvette
1957 Chevy 4 Dr. Wagon
Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Posting Guru

Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.Bob Taulbee has a spectacular reputation.
Don't forget a spare serpentine belt.They are hard to come by in some of the small town auto parts stores. A broken belt and you are out of business.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior User

bigpowerstroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
I work for Carquest. We don't show the old numbers in the catalog now but you can still get the old filter without the integrated cap. I'm resisting to swap mine to the new style because if you're out of town and need a filter bad..... you may get stuck only finding old style filters and you'll be without the old filter cap.

86518 - Old filter style

1999 7.3L, 6-speed, 4x4, 6637, led tail lights(made them myself ), 2005 Harley Headlights
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Senior User

Quick question. This is the first time I have changed the fuel filter and it came with the square o-ring and a smaller round o-ring. Does the smaller o-ring go on the bottom of the filter? Also how often should you change the frame mounted fuel filter? I don't think it's been changed since I have owned the truck. Thanks.
1981 Corvette
1957 Chevy 4 Dr. Wagon
Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cylguy View Post
Quick question. This is the first time I have changed the fuel filter and it came with the square o-ring and a smaller round o-ring. Does the smaller o-ring go on the bottom of the filter? Also how often should you change the frame mounted fuel filter? I don't think it's been changed since I have owned the truck. Thanks.
Can't fully remember about the o-rings, but I do want to warn you....

After you have put the filter and cap on and are ready to start up your truck.... have the hood up to see the engine area. If the seals are not on right and tight you will have leakage, you will want to know about it really fast, as the pump pressure will blow fuel everywhere and it makes one heck of a mess....

I then tightened the filter cap on so tight that the next time I changed it out I had to use a sledge hammer and a driving bar to bash the lid around to get it off

PAA Member #123
1991 F-150 inline 6
2001 F-250 7.3 Crewcab 4x4
BTS-Trans , 6.0 Trans Cooler, SuperChip, K&N Filter
Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Quote:
Here's a step-by-step. Welcome to guzzle's PSD Fuel Filter Change Web Page

OEM fuel set-ups do not have a frame mounted filters on the 7.3's, just the one on top of the engine. If you have a filter located on the frame, it's aftermarket.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior User

I haven't looked. I was going by what someone else said about their 6.0. Don't I feel silly.
1981 Corvette
1957 Chevy 4 Dr. Wagon
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Hit it!

ChrisMPorras
No worries. Indeed, the 6.0's had frame mounted fuel filter and an engine mounted one.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
The smaller o-ring goes in the element gland near the bottom of the filter. Also make sure this o-ring comes out with the old filter. They have been known to fall to the bottom of the fuel bowl when removing the old filter.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Senior User

derek0525 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's all I use is the Carquest ones mainly because I get a discount through work. The guy at carquest said I get a better discount than they do which is kinda odd to me. I kinda always wondered who made the filters for them. Who makes the lower end filters? I always get the premium ones anyway but just curious.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 PM