Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Another blown oem speaker on my new '11?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another blown oem speaker on my new '11?

I have just 3K miles on my '11, XLT and have yet another speaker to replace? Where the hell is Ford getting these parts from? Since I had not even 1K miles on my truck when I noticed the left rear door speaker rattling, I chalked it up as some kid must have blasted the speakers too loud while my truck was still on the lot for sale.

I guessed that as I don't listen to loud music ever anymore, and mostly talk shows on AM or the Sirius so I don't know what is killing my stock speakers? The front one just started going out this weak and is almost completely gone.

On the last one I didn't bother with Ford warranty as I would have lost more money taking time off work to take the truck in, get a loaner (My dealer only gives rentals when it's a major deffect or repair ) over the the $20 dollar speakers over the counter price plus 10 min of shade-tree work in the driveway to install it.

My question for the forum is what brand of speaker should I replace all of mine with, I think I need four. I want something that sounds cleaner than the rediculously cheap OEM. I also want something that will just plug-N-play with no modifications if at all possible. I have been out of the car-audio circle for quite a while so I'm totally out of the loop on what's good and what's not.

Thanks for any help, I greatly apreciate it. BTW this is the only issue I have had with this truck, so as you might imagine it is driving me nuts.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 AM
rollin big red
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any good replacement would sound better then stock pyle makes good stuff

Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Alpine. JL. Polk. Rockford. Infinity. Anything on Crutchfield's site honestly. It'll all sound better than the stock cones.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
I've had Sony Xplodes in my car for years, and I blast them all the time. No problems.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with the Alpines or the Rockford fosgates either.

Yet your MP3 player, iPod, whatever, and go to a good audio shop. Plug in the music YOU like to hear into their display system, then use their switches to switch between their speaker displayed there.

That's the only way to do it. Then buy what you like. After all, it's YOUR hard earned money, and you should be happy and pleased with your purchase decision.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 PM
wolf189
Senior User

Alpine and Infinity are the two that I have used before with good results but, as has been noted, just about anything decent is going to be an improvement over stock OEM speakers.

Interesting that you are having issues with the speakers on your '11. Before I traded it in I was starting to get pretty annoyed with the front's in my '11 (they would randomly alternate between sounding fine, sounding half blown, and cutting in/out). I loved the truck but, enjoying some decent tunes while driving is a requirement for me so that was definitely developing into a problem that was going to need to be addressed soon if I had kept the truck.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just checking out Crutchfield, I was eyeing a set of Rockford Fosgate PR1682 Prime 6x8's for 69.99. They got 5 stars. Thats another thing I like about Crutchfield, you can read some reviews.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM
The79Beast
Junior User
These will help get you connected

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And I recommend Infinity Reference speakers 6x8 about $55.00/<acronym title="Page Ranking">pr</acronym>

Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry I didn't respond right away guys, I got fed up with my crackling front speaker, so I drove down to Best Buy and picked up four Alpine SPS-517 Coaxial 2-way speakers. I probably paid too much $193 four four speakers, but I honestly couldn't be a happier camper with my truck now. Seriously the one thing that sucks the most on these trucks are the stock XL & XLT speaker sound.

The stock sound is equal to an eighties mail order boombox or some cheap headphones. While i'm the farthest thing from an audiophile I can tell you these Alpines have changed the entire sound system of this truck. Gone is the overall flat sound of the stock units with zero bass and massive distortion from about mid - max volume levels.

Now the sound is crystal clear from zero all the way to max, truthfully I haven't really cranked it all the way up but it seams like there is no limit with these Alpines. To be honest there really isn't anymore Bass than stock, but the little that the stock system provides is now richer and more defined. The highs are most improved.

I don't know what sound system comes on with the Lariat and higher models but if you heard my truck now you would think it had a system that wouldn't be unfit for the Lariat - Limited model. Keep in mind all I did was change the speakers, I didn't do anything to the head unit, nor did I add an amp and I am now completely satisfied.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Rivergreen74
Junior User
Nice write up, I have to agree my 1997 F150 has better sound than my 2011, ecoboost XLT- shame on you FORD!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Good choice, Alpine is a good product ( not that I'm an expert either) I bought 4 of the RF Primes last night after talking to a tech there. They should be here Tue. How hard was the install? He was trying to get me to buy some slotted door panel removal tool thingy for $10 but I figured I have something in the tool box that will work. Did you have any problems where you might have needed such a tool? TIA- Tim

Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Good choice, Alpine is a good product ( not that I'm an expert either) I bought 4 of the RF Primes last night after talking to a tech there. They should be here Tue. How hard was the install? He was trying to get me to buy some slotted door panel removal tool thingy for $10 but I figured I have something in the tool box that will work. Did you have any problems where you might have needed such a tool? TIA- Tim
Tim I have a panel puller. Got it at Advance Auto for about $5. It really helps if you have christmas tree plugs to pull. I used it on the 06 to pull the arm rest panel to get to the door switches. Is it necessary? Probably not. But for less than $10 its nice to have.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thanks Chandler old buddy! Maybe I'll swing by there today or tomorrow and pick one up. $5 is better than $10 in my book I have to "shim" the speakers out in the rear doors as they are just a tick too deep ( tech said 1/10 of an inch but it shouldn't be problem for a man of my jerry-rigging talents ). Not insurmountable, I just liked the idea of having all 4 speakers the same.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM
center97
Junior User
Did you have to buy new connectors to fit the new speakers?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by center97
Did you have to buy new connectors to fit the new speakers?
Crutchfield gives you the adapters and install instructions free, plus free shipping.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Crutchfield is awesome. Their flagship store is about an hour from me. Love doing business with them when my local car audio shop doesn't have what I need.

Quick Reply: Another blown oem speaker on my new '11?