Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

No fuel cap??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:30 PM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
I havent had any issues with it at all in the snow and ice. And we had 80 inches of snow this yr in baltimore.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Sass-quatch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no dust but it looks like water got in there...

Old 10-08-2010, 06:14 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sass-quatch
no dust but it looks like water got in there...
Welcome to FTE!

You could stand there with a hose and spray water right at the filler spout and water will not go into the gas tank.

The funnel disengages the seal.

The design also makes it harder to siphon (as well as eliminating the gas cap CELs).

Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Sass-quatch
New User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Welcome to FTE!

You could stand there with a hose and spray water right at the filler spout and water will not go into the gas tank.

The funnel disengages the seal.

The design also makes it harder to siphon (as well as eliminating the gas cap CELs).
Thanks

That's cool I'll have to look for a new one at the gas station.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have exactly 6 mi of South Dakota dirt roads on my truck and only 500 mi total, and I already have a dust problem on the fuel neck. The inside of the fuel door looks just like my dust covered tailgate.

So, now the question is...How to clean it off? Can't spray water at it as there is no where for the accumlated tsp of water to drain to except for the tank. I guess I could dry it off with a towel. Man what a hassle.

I guess I'll have to find the locking plug at the dealer or replace the whole neck my self.

Do you guys really believe that the plastic door and the cheap rubber seal will keep out water and dust? The water spots in the posted picture already prove this point. One bout with freezing rain and having to fill will render the cheap seal useless, or the plastic door broken.

I really wished I would have seen this at the dealership. I would have had it changed on the spot, or walked out the door down to the Dodge dealership.

This is the kind of Engineering pipe dream that causes future recalls.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
I would have had it changed on the spot, or walked out the door down to the Dodge dealership.

This is the kind of Engineering pipe dream that causes future recalls.
There won't be a recall as there is nothing wrong with the system. It will not let dust and dirst into your gas tank. Many manufacturers have had this type of system for many years.

Ford is late to the game: http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...l-system-28320

Need the phone number for the closest Fiat dealer?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:02 PM
v_tach
Junior User
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Do you guys really believe that the plastic door and the cheap rubber seal will keep out water and dust?
A couple of miles with your new truck and you call out others that have thousands of miles on their trucks? We dont have to beleive, we know from actual experience. Do you think we just make it up? I'm quick to call out problems with my F150 but the fuel door isnt one of them for me of my dad's. They're the only two trucks with the design I have experience with but both are approaching 20,000 miles.

If you've got dust behind the fuel door, something is wrong with your particular setup.

Beside, the fuel door seal isnt the only seal to protect the fuel supply.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Mudd460
Senior User
remember to use the funnel if you pour in a bottle of additive otherwise it will exit through the vent and on the ground under your vehicle! Go ahead, axe me how I know!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by v_tach
A couple of miles with your new truck and you call out others that have thousands of miles on their trucks? We dont have to beleive, we know from actual experience. Do you think we just make it up? I'm quick to call out problems with my F150 but the fuel door isnt one of them for me of my dad's. They're the only two trucks with the design I have experience with but both are approaching 20,000 miles.

If you've got dust behind the fuel door, something is wrong with your particular setup.

Beside, the fuel door seal isnt the only seal to protect the fuel supply.
Says the kettle?

So if I drive 20K mi down the highway and don't have a problem.....that means there's no problem? But if someone drives six miles down a dirt road and does have a problem on a new truck with less than 500 mi, I should tell them they are full of it?

Yeah I can see the problem with the fuel door...It's a flimsy piece of plastic that doesn't create a good seal to the flimsy seal on the body. It moves with temperature variation, has a CTE, and isn't locked or drawn against the body. Wind currents from road speed can also make it move as wells as body flex. Oh, did I mention that every thing about the door / neck assembly doesn't allow for adjustment to bandaid said design short commings?

Please enlighten me on the proper adjustment that I should perform on this.

Roll of duct tape?

Please enlighten me also about the door being the only seal.....You must mean the seal on the trap door of the fuel neck. Yep there is a seal there.

I wonder what is going to happen to all of the dust on the trap door as I put the fuel nozzle into the tank? Better not spill fuel on the trap door as you pull out the nozzel. Good thing there is a fuel filter still....

I wouldn't be so ticked about this if I didn't have so much experince on the engineering end of recalls and the amount of money it wastes.

I find it very disapointing that alot engineering thought went into the filler neck (as much as I hate it, it appears to be sound minus the entry of dust particles.), and virtually none into the door it self.

If more thought was put into the whole assembly I would not have issue with from a design and real world function point of view.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by shotgunz
There won't be a recall as there is nothing wrong with the system. It will not let dust and dirst into your gas tank. Many manufacturers have had this type of system for many years.

Ford is late to the game: FORD’S EASY FUEL SYSTEM SIMPLIFIES FILL UPS, HELPS ENVIRONMEN ... - Press Release - Ford

Need the phone number for the closest Fiat dealer?
Yeah I could, they have a wonderful quality track reccord.

Ever wonder why they pulled out of the U.S. market, before purchasing Chrysler?

Please provide a sound description on how dust partcles (20 micron or less) on the trap door will not get washed into tank of my $43K truck, and how they will not erode away the injectors on said truck after the fuel filter has been overcome.

I'd prefer to have something more than I've got 20K on my truck with out issue. You could drive 20K without an airfilter and not even have a problem.

I'll be removing my easy fuel and still be on the same set of injectors, and have used half as many (or more) fuel filters at 250K mi.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
It's obvious nothing will satisfy you, so I suggest you spend $20 for the locking filler plug.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I really hate to add to this but, you are not the only driver that lives on a dirt road in dusty conditions. I have almost 7000 miles on my truck in 4 months. Dust will not be an issue. Again no issue on the inside of the filler door. I have even opened the door, and hosed it out inside when washing the truck. No big deal. The flapper valve on the filler neck must maintain enough pressure to keep the system sealed, or you will get a check engine light. Try removing the gas cap of an older vehicle and see how long it takes to get a check engine light. If there is a problem with the seal, you will know it.

A couple of months ago the check engine light came on for my work car. It was the gasket on the gas cap. New gas cap and problem fixed. The point being that the standard gas cap can also have problems.

Just FYI, the picture of my truck was taken in my driveway. Notice the dirt?

Last edited by msgtord; 10-09-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 10-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Mudd460
Senior User
I've run 20000 miles in a blown Mustang up and down the East Coast with the same capless tank and I have never had a problem with contamination. Don't think I ever will. 1.5 years and going strong! Just my 02~ That's with GT500 fuel pumps no less!

Old 10-10-2010, 01:47 AM
skidooman
Posting Guru
We have two vehicels with the capless fuel tank, my 2010 f150, and the wifes 2009 Escape that we have had with no problems for over two years and we live in rual Canada!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:19 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...asy%20Fuel.pdf

Pages 4 and 7.

The fact that any thing is mentioned is an indicator that FMC has encountered issues in testing.

If you search the internet, issues are starting to pop up on other forums where the easy fuel has been in use longer.

It appears that the options are to use the locking plug (if the plug has a sealing surface on it) or replace the neck assembly with one from a '04 - 08' F150.

I particularly like the comments on page 7 about using the funnel to dislodge contaminates that are preventing the trap door from closing. If that doesn't work, you get the wonderful experince of replacing a $250 fuel neck plus labor.

Let's not mention the pleasure of replacing the highly designed door seal.

Seems so much more wonderful than replacing a $20 fuel cap.

As this thread is going nowhere, despite providing sound facts, engineering and observed, I will no longer post to this thread and book mark it for future reference as this ingnorant pleeb has clearly lost sanity and is clearly a troll.

If my dealership elects to not replace my fuel neck, I will provide a writeup on how to do it yourself in the event that out of warranty trucks need this replacement, or for those that would like to do it.

Quick Reply: No fuel cap??