1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2001, 09:08 PM
ariel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Exhaust

Old 03-28-2001, 10:44 AM
98_expedition
New User
Dual Exhaust

Has anyone ever seen an Expy of any year with a dual sided exhaust system? I have the towing package on my 98 so I'm not sure if it would interfere with that. Or should I simply go with the dual tipped single sided model?? Any suggestions???

Old 03-30-2001, 09:16 AM
thermo
New User
Dual Exhaust

You can run dual sided dual exhaust (ie one tailpipe out each side), but, what you have to be cautious of is that you have a gas filler pipe that runs down the drivers side and the exhaust pipe is going to run really close to it. That may lead to a big explosion if you know what I mean. I have heard of people doing it and not having any problems, but, I wouldn't do it myself.

If you do run dual exhaust, the options are almost endless but all the kits are going to come with both tips exiting out the same side (atleast the ones that I know of). THere may be one that has both of them exiting out the back (both tips point straight back, not out the side) but they are each on different sides of the truck. Again, if that pipe runs near the filler pipe, be very cautious.

If you go with a custom setup (almost any muffler shop can do this), I have had good luck with the Flowmaster muffler that I bought (granted, I recommend the 50 series vice the 70 series that I bought; the 70 series is just slightly louder than stock and didn't offer that much in the way of hp gains). My setup has me running dual 2.5" pipes all the way back from the headers to the muffler where they both tap into the 1 muffler and then there's two exits on the muffler and have two 2.5" pipes exiting out the passenger side of the truck. I get all sorts of questions about my setup.

If you have any more questions, feel free to write me and I will try and answer the questions more specifically.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 03-30-2001, 04:55 PM
bluesky
Freshman User
Dual Exhaust

Chris,

Would you mind telling us what your dual exhaust system cost?

Dino

Old 04-02-2001, 10:49 AM
thermo
New User
Dual Exhaust

I ended up paying about $150 for the Flowmaster muffler as I recall and then the muffler shop installed all the pipes for another $125. It should have cost $150 but the manager forgot to add in the price of a pipe and in the middle of the job realized it. So, the manager said it was their fault and they weren't going to charge me. NOw, this piping isn't mandrel bent, so, there are some "restrictions" in the piping. But, the 2.5" piping is more than adequate for the 5.4L. So, I am not to worried about the bends. So, for $300, I got my true dual exhaust system put on my truck. Sure beats the price of some of those aftermarket systems. Granted, I didn't get the stainless steel system, but, the piping I got is just about as good and will end up changing out the muffler many times before this piping gives up.

My recommendation is to find a good performance shop in the area and ask them who the local "guru" is on exhaust and have them install the system. While it may cost you more, it will pay for itself in the long run. I know now I get all sorts of looks as I go driving by (partly due to the lift, partly due to the exhaust).

Hope this gives you an idea of what it is going to cost
Chris "Thermo" Coleman
P.S. If you go with a Flowmaster muffler, go with the 50 series, not the 70 series. The 70 series is slightly louder than stock and provided some hp improvement, but, I think there's a lot more that can be unlocked with the 50 series.

Old 04-03-2001, 08:19 PM
rasterfari
New User
Dual Exhaust

I've got Flowmasters installed on mine(Lifetime warranty) for total of $360. I've got a wide tow package on mine too, but they were able to install 2 dual exhaust straight backwards beside it without any problem. Recomend SUV type 2 chamber(3filter) one, so the noise goes to the back instead of underneath(Not fun in a SUV). Still sounds great and increases power. Hope this helps!

Old 04-27-2001, 11:54 PM
bottomgun
New User
Dual Exhaust

I responded to almost the same questions a few months ago. I have a similar setup as some of the others, only I am running a Flowmaster 40 series muffler, 3" single in, 2 1/2 in dual out the rear with 5" tips. (Had to go for the big guns). A little noisy on the highway, but really not that bad. If you want loud outside, you are going to have to sacrifice a little on the inside. Try putting down some Dyna-Mat to help if it is too loud. The style you choose is obviously up to you as everyones taste is different. You will hear the stories of Carbon Monoxide poisoning if you exit out the rear. True if you drive with your hatch open. I have had no problems. If you want, I can send a few pictures to give you an idea. Go with what you want. Anything else and you will just regret it later.