Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane adjustment Rod????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:12 PM
polarismuddman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell ymeski, mine doesn't ping at 15 1/2*......

Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
That "octane" rod just locks the advance plate in a static position.....
Could you elaborate on this?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
Once upon a time you could make these adjustments right from the driver's seat on a Ford.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Martika 7.3
Well That Is How They Make Their Money! If You Want A Fast 302, Pocket Port And Polish The Head "3 Angle Valve Job" A Nice Cam, B 303 Is Nice, Pulleys Give A Lil Help, Unilite Dist, Msd Box, Pro Master Coil, And Flowmasters! Thats A Decent Hp Upgrade! Everything Is About Money! Want Extra Hp, Thats What It Takes!
Thats all good except the Blowmasters. LOL.. Just giving you crap.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Once upon a time you could make these adjustments right from the driver's seat on a Ford.
Thats just crazy. I can't believe they had it that way back then.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
That was the only way you could make adjustments to the spark those days. Centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms in the distributor weren't invented then.
BTW, the early Model T's didn't even have a gas pedal. That's what the throttle lever was for.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:57 PM
jimjoebob99
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My negihbor actually has an old 30' Ford model A pickup with the hand throttle and spark advance on the column. It does however have a gas pedal (so to speak because it's a rod protruding through the floor) but the hand throttle works good too. You just have to be careful when you hit the gas that you don't accidentially engage the starter because it has mechanical linkage right around the same area because they didn't have solenoids yet. LOL! Just a big rod running to the started to engage the connection. That thing is a blast to drive though and you get all sorts of people staring at you.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Sorry if I've taken this thread off the topic slightly...
Most cars up until 1950 did not start straight from the the ignition key. You additionally either had a starter button on the floor or dash.

Interesting fact, recently the push button start feature has been reintroduced on some cars.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Received 497 Likes on 253 Posts
Sorry if I've taken this thread off the topic slightly...
Most cars up until 1950 did not start straight from the the ignition key. You additionally either had a starter button on the floor or dash.

Interesting fact, recently the push button start feature has been reintroduced on some cars.
Being a chronic looser of key's, I miss seeing them in the ignition!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I blame it on windows 95, it restarted the start button craze. Now it's cool to have a start button. I think my sister has one of those on her saab. I guess I'll check next to I get out to CA.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:44 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The whole start button thing is stupid. Is turning a key really that difficult? No. My big rig has a "Key on, push button start" and I hate it. The only advantage to it is being able to remove the key from the ignition to be able to lock the doors and leave the truck running while making a pit stop. But I don't take that chance w/ my rig as it's a company vehicle- unless I'm at a terminal, if I leave the truck, the key goes with me and the engine is off.

There was one night I had to drive a different truck to be swapped out at our corporate terminal, and the way to start this thing was to hold the key in the on position, and then flip the diagnostics switch!

There's nothing wrong with a key. If you can't keep track of your keys then you're too absent minded to be driving anyway!

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think they do the push button start thing because it is easier,but more pf a coolness thing these days.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:57 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I dunno... I'm of the opinion that a lot of the safety features and luxuries of some of today's vehicles are just more excuses for people to be lazy drivers.

Take some of the crash avoidance features that [I think] Lexus is adding to their cars. If the car is doing the work of avoiding a crash that can give the driver the impression that they can screw around because they don't have to worry about it.

I drive my big rig every night from about 9 PM to around 6 AM, and I see some incredibly stupid drivers. People that are texting/screwing with their phones, speeding excessively, tailgating at 75 MPH. On one occasion I saw some ******* with his laptop IN HIS LAP while driving. One 2, that's TWO different occasions I've seen people READING BOOKS while they're driving.

I will be the first to admit my driving isn't perfect, but I at least try to keep the distractions to a minimum. If I get a text then I call the person back, even if it's just a simple yes or no answer.

It's my feeling that as these technologies progress, many people will be continuing to decline as drivers.

I guess this was kind of a tangent for the topic- that happens to me sometimes.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 PM
ymeski56
Der Postmeister

Received 497 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
I dunno... I'm of the opinion that a lot of the safety features and luxuries of some of today's vehicles are just more excuses for people to be lazy drivers.

Take some of the crash avoidance features that [I think] Lexus is adding to their cars. If the car is doing the work of avoiding a crash that can give the driver the impression that they can screw around because they don't have to worry about it.

I drive my big rig every night from about 9 PM to around 6 AM, and I see some incredibly stupid drivers. People that are texting/screwing with their phones, speeding excessively, tailgating at 75 MPH. On one occasion I saw some ******* with his laptop IN HIS LAP while driving. One 2, that's TWO different occasions I've seen people READING BOOKS while they're driving.

I will be the first to admit my driving isn't perfect, but I at least try to keep the distractions to a minimum. If I get a text then I call the person back, even if it's just a simple yes or no answer.

It's my feeling that as these technologies progress, many people will be continuing to decline as drivers.

I guess this was kind of a tangent for the topic- that happens to me sometimes.
Well as long as we're already there. The latest option that's over the top for me is your vehicle alerts you by phone regarding your vehicles vital signs. Overheating, low oil, ect...

Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I do not like the push button start on the newer cars at all. I think its stupid. I also think that if its all electronic, can't someone just transmit the code to it and get in and push the button and off they go?

Quick Reply: Octane adjustment Rod????