1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Map OK

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Map OK

You probably have noticed me complaining lately about my no boost at lower RPM's. I installed a new MAP and took it for a ride and didn't notice much. Today pulling my 5th wheel with trailer I noticed a improvement in my boost and it even seemed like my EGT's were better. I still need to fix my up pipe leak to get it back to normal, I hope. I had to stop in a couple of rest stops on the freeway and play with the wires to my EGT gauge. One time it stuck at 1150* and then I looked down it was at zero. I got it working twice after it quit but I think I need a new sensor, something is going wrong. I think that's the most important gauge there is. I wish the aeroforce scan gauge would show EGT's!! Anyway, that's my mod update, I should have added this to the thread going now about trucks that are running good.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the probe kit for the scan gauge. Depending on what the replace cost. I wish is bought a scan gauge from day one. Instead of analog gauges

Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I bought isspro digital gauges. =)

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Talyn
I heard they were good gauges Tayln but being on the road I would like to just get my autometer working. Bad12jr, do you know where a guy could get a probe in a hurry? I can't image driving 2,000 more miles without a EGT gauge . I would have to do a lot of guessing on the hills so I don't burn it up !!! At least I now have a little low rpm boost.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Tis what you get for buying autometers. :P har har har.

You can always stop at the auto parts store and buy a cheepie to get you by.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
aeroforce has them on there site. Autometer could probaly overnight you one if you just wanted a replacement

Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
...I can't image driving 2,000 more miles without a EGT gauge . I would have to do a lot of guessing on the hills so I don't burn it up !!!...
And considering your hsitory with trannys I wouldn't gamble!
Originally Posted by Talyn
You like em pretty well?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glenn, what RPM is the turbo getting to full song? Mine doesn't hit full boost until like 2200 RPM w/ my plenums leaking boost like crazy. We've been trying to get you through this for wayyy too long now. lol. my guess is that fixing the uppipe leak will get you fixed up for good though.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Question

You probably have noticed me complaining lately about my no boost at lower RPM's. I installed a new MAP and took it for a ride and didn't notice much. Today pulling my 5th wheel with trailer I noticed a improvement in my boost and it even seemed like my EGT's were better. I still need to fix my up pipe leak to get it back to normal, I hope. I had to stop in a couple of rest stops on the freeway and play with the wires to my EGT gauge. One time it stuck at 1150* and then I looked down it was at zero. I got it working twice after it quit but I think I need a new sensor, something is going wrong. I think that's the most important gauge there is. I wish the aeroforce scan gauge would show EGT's!! Anyway, that's my mod update, I should have added this to the thread going now about trucks that are running good.
Glenn, what MAP did you get?, remember that there are two numbers:
MAP Sensor (black in color) and is F4TF-9S480-AA.
Correct MAP Sensor (gray in color) is F4TZ-9F479A - 3 Bar.
Motorcraft PN (DY708).<O</O

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Jose, I got the gray one F4TZ-9F479A. It seems to be working better.

BUT, your right Travis, its been to long. I just don't like the idea of tearing my truck apart in a camp ground and screw something up and it doesn't run. I would be up shi. creek if that happened! And yes, your also right about the up pipe leak. I feel I'm half way there with this MAP success and when I get home I'll put the bellow up pipes in. I have to wait until 2,500 rpm's to get it to spool until it sings but at least I'm getting a little help lower down now with the new MAP!!

Jacob, I'm worried about burning up my engine, not the tranny. I defiantly need an oil change but I'm worried about burning 1 1/2 quarts of oil in 1,000 miles. I've been on here for four plus years and the funny thing is I've never heard of any complains of burning oil, strange! Yes, I'm running it hard against a head wind at 70mph pulling what I have in my signature. I left Michigan and headed west on I80 to Nebraska. After visiting my older daughter will head to I25 in Colorado and head to AZ! Then I take this thing apart, bellows, 3" plenum's, clean IPR, get my chip reburned, change oil, brake flex lines changed, change glow plugs and maybe relay, etc. getting it ready for next spring's globe trotting experience!!!!

bad12jr, I'm not having any luck at the auto parts stores so I guess I'll give autometer a call.

Tayln, I'm finding out that when it comes to a EGT gauge, there is no cheap ones.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Smile

Jose, I got the gray one F4TZ-9F479A. It seems to be working better.
Glenn, Thanks for the answer. Where did you get it? and if its possible what was the cost? I have to buy one, Im sure my truck needs one to work as it should.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
73cntry
Senior User
I picked up one off Ebay for 6 bucks and it's a Bully dog came with thermocouple n all plus was Happy it's made in the USA!!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Hey Glenn, I got my Autometer thermocouple for $50 from Summit Racing. You could have it overnighted if you need to.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glenn call Joey at Terminator. Bet he has a Aeroforce probe he could get you in a hurry. But IIRC its nearly as much as a complete gauge

Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Jose, I was in a hurry and got it at:Your Premiere Source for Ford Truck Parts and Accessories. Funny thing is I paid less, $180 shipped. I know I could have done better else where but I was in a hurry.

73cntry, looks like you got lucky.

Falcon, I'll look at Summit tonight, Thanks!

Tim, Thanks exactly what I've been finding out, new is almost as cheap unless Summit can help.

A little story, Today I ended up in Rapid City, SD with our final destination being in the southern Black Hills for the day. I started south out of Rapid and my wife started protecting that I better go around to the east side of the Black Hills to Hot Springs, then over. I, being stubborn said we would be OK. OH MY GOD, what a pull. It felt like I went uphill for 70 miles. I was starting to smell stuff and I'm thinking that it was my up pipe exhaust leak, I hope. Half way up the first hill, low and behold, that old EGT gauge started working. I was happy about that. I'll be where I am now for a couple of days, maybe I'll order one if they deliver to a camp site, LOL!

Quick Reply: Map OK