Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2000, 07:31 PM
New User

wes is starting off with a positive reputation.
1997 expedition rear end noise???

I JUST BOUGHT A 1997 EXPO 4X4 5.4L AND MAN I MUST SAY I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!
BUT THE GAS MILEAGE COULD BE A LITTLE BETTER..IT HAS 51000 MILES ON IT.. AND I WAS DRIVING HOME LAST NIGHT AND STARTING HEARING A NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR END.. LIKE A THUMPING NOISE BUT ONLY WHEN YOU COME TO A STOP AND ARE GOING UNDER 5 TO 10 MPH?? ALSO I PUT IT UP ON A LIFT AND SPUN THE REAR TIRES AND I COULD HERE AND FEEL THE NOISE.. I TOOK THE TIRES OFF AND FOUND THAT I COULD MOVE THE ROTOR BACK AND FORTH.. COULD MY BEARINGS BE GOING OUT?? IF ANY ONE COULD HELP ME THAT WOULD BE GREAT..
WES
Old 01-12-2001, 10:54 PM
Junior User

old fool is starting off with a positive reputation.

Usually a low-speed thumping noise is caused by cupped tires. Also may be the clutches in the limited slip rear end. Changing the lube may help. The end play in the axles is normal.
Old 01-22-2001, 08:45 PM
New User

1sttimeexpeditionowner is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 1998 Expedition 4x4, and I constantly heard a very noisy vibration when idling at a stoplight, or in Park and idling. Noise appeared to me to be related to the exhaust system - like a loose bolt or cracked weld. Dealer told me nothing was wrong - but the noise persisted. Then the rear portion of the exhaust pipe actually fell off the truck. I became the dealer's most angry customer. The service manager finally told me that all 97 and 98 Expeditions have motor mounts that were redesigned in 99 - and that all 97/98s have the vibration problem I experienced to some degree. Solution - replace the motor mounts with the newer version (along with the pipes behind the manifold, the muffler, etc.). In my case, the strong vibration from the original motor mounts caused the welds in the exhaust system to crack. Since the dealer replaced the original motor mounts with the newer version - I have had no vibrations, and the exhaust system remains on the truck.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:37 AM
New User

mykes is starting off with a positive reputation.

I just purchased a '97 EB 4x4 w/58k miles. The only problem we've found so found is the read end noise that you may have been referring to in this thread. I only hear it when I take my foot off the accelerator while the truck is in motion... really loud around 20-30 mph. It sounds like I'm going over a grated bridge. The strange part is that it cuts in and out, so I don't think it's a tire.

The dealer said they'd diagnose it, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this strange humming sound?
Old 03-20-2001, 08:10 PM
New User

mdlawx420 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I've got a '97 Expedition 4x4 with the same type of rear-end noise. I've got 80,000k miles, and I can't figure out what the noise is. Like you said, it sounds like going over a bridge grating. On mine, it is very noticable between 50 and 60 mph. Here's the deal with my truck though. I have lifted it (Rancho 4" lift), and put BFG 35" tires on it. But, it was re-geared to a 4.10 gear and I had an Auburn Limited Slip put in the rear to replace the factory one. But, when I put the truck in all-time 4x4, the problem gets much worse. Then, if I put it into 4x4 high, the problem seems to go away. Does anyone have any suggestions. I know that it is not the tires. I am worried that either one of the bearings was put in wrong(I doubt it though), or maybe even a bearing is bad. On the other hand, could this be a problem with my transfer case? If anyone has experienced this problem, or might know how to diagnose it, please let me know. Ford does not have a clue, and they tried to say it was the tires. But, if it were the tires, the noise would always be there, whether it be in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive at all speeds. Another thing; could it just be time to replace the drive shaft? I really am at a loss on this subject, and can use anyone's help.

In response to the other question of the thumping, I had a friend who had the same problem with a '99 Superduty deisel. The problem was the the additive for the limited slip had worn out, and the limited slip was ratcheting. I would look at trying to replace the fulid, b/c most people never change their differetial fluid.
Old 03-21-2001, 10:19 AM
New User

mykes is starting off with a positive reputation.

I'm going to take the truck into Ford tonight. They have an added incentive to find out what it is, because I just bought the truck and they know that if they don't diagnose the noise it's a deal breaker. I have a suspicion that's it the bearings as well. I said they same thing that if it were the tires it wouldn't cut in and out... only happening when the truck is in motion without accelerating.

I'll post another message once Ford tells me what they think... hope I still have a truck by then.
Old 05-09-2001, 07:42 AM
New User

swat is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have the same problem with my 97 EB 4x4. Took it in yesterday, they have removed the rear chunk and can't find any issues with the rear end or bearings. They said they will start back on it today, working thier way up the drive train. If anybody else has had this problem corrected, let me know what it was, otherwise I'll post the results when they find it.
Old 05-12-2001, 09:56 AM
New User

swat is starting off with a positive reputation.

Here's the results on the fix for the rear end noise mentioned in many threads, and mine as well. As mentioned, I own a 1997 EB 4X4 with 5.4. I first noticed the noise in the rear end about a year ago, only occuring very infrequently while coming to a stop. The noice got progressivly worse, to the point it was happening on a regular basis. Took it to the dealer this week, and metioned to him that I had the vehicle in, prior to warranty expiration, to have the fluids changed in both axles, the transfer case and the transmittion. They took the vehicle on a test drive, and said it sounded like universal joints.

First day in the shop, they said that they removed the rear chunk, and thought the had found the problem to be a slight burr on the pinion gear, so they replaced it, and the axle bearings and seals. Test drove the vehicle, and the noise was still appearant.

Second day in the shop, removed the rear chunk again, and found that the limited slip clutch springs were shot, and needed to order them.

Third day, with springs replaced, and the chunk back in, out for a test drive, and the problem was solved.

Looking back on the service records for my vehicle, they said that the mechanic who worked on my vehicle when I took it in for the fluid change, had apparently put the wrong the fluid in.

Bottom line, I got what is basically a new rear end for NO COST TO ME.......... NOW THAT'S SERVICE
Old 05-14-2001, 12:06 AM
New User

97 black expy is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 05-14-2001, 12:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
1998, 97, axle, back, case, drive, end, expedition, ford, noise, rear, shaft, transfer, troubleshoot, vibration