1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Restoration of '48-'50 F-1 gauge panel

Old 10-04-2010, 08:46 PM
dakelm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restoration of '48-'50 F-1 gauge panel

Does anyone know the correct color(s)/process for restoring the gauge panel on the early F-1 (the panel with the round speedo hole and the four rectangular gauge openings). It looks to me like a cream or ivory color screen stenciled over a silver diamond pattern base? Is there someone who offers this service or can it be done by a do-it-yourselfer?

Doug

Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I don't know of anyone who restores dash pods. I've been trying to come up with a technique to replicate the diamond pattern. All of dashes I've seen restored had a flat surface.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
What about classic Instruments. I understand they restore instrument clusters. I am going to need the same thing done to mine [50 F1] and while they are at it change it all to 12v.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 AM
49 Ford F-1
Mountain Pass
With mine I sanded mine down not using a lot of pressure got it cleaned all off. I then primed with a lite coat, and then painted back with the beige color. The pattern on the plate is still on there, and you can not tell it did not just come from the factory.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
When I redid mine, it lost the diamonds, but I am still very happy with the outcome.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Great picture. That is how I want mine to look. I think it is a very simple yet classically elegant design and i definately want to save mine.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Great picture. That is how I want mine to look. I think it is a very simple yet classically elegant design and i definately want to save mine.
My wife is a woodcarver and an artist, so she hand painted the gauges. I took the metal face out, cleaned and scuffed it and then sprayed with Krylon gloss Almond. I was going to use beige or ivory, but they were both much lighter than the original.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
49 Ford F-1
Mountain Pass
Looks great Harley

Old 10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
dakelm
New User
Do you recall what specific color (brand, code, etc.) you used on your dash? Did you have chance to compare it to an excellent original?

Originally Posted by harleymsn
When I redid mine, it lost the diamonds, but I am still very happy with the outcome.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not, but they make replacement gauge face decals for the 48-50 Truck instrument panels.

I think you could remove your gauges and speedometer, then gently wet sand and paint the main panel.

Take a finished gauge to someplace that has a good selection of spray paint colors (like Home Depot) and find a cream or tan that matches (like the Krylon Gloss "Almond" Harley mentioned).

If you want it perfect, go to an auto body paint store and have them laser match it.

Here's a pic of the gauge faces from C&G Ford Parts:

https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlv...Face Decal Kit

Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
dakelm
New User
Mine is rusted to the point where I am going to have to bead blast it down to bare metal and start painting from there. If I can find the correct size screen cloth to replicate the original silver diamond pattern, I'm going to try a two color (silver base with beige top coat) process and see what happens. Are you happy with the match of the Krylon gloss Almond? Is the surface finish supposed to be glossy or more of a satin/flat? It's getting harder to find an original mint condition gauge cluster to use as a reference source.

My wife is a woodcarver and an artist, so she hand painted the gauges. I took the metal face out, cleaned and scuffed it and then sprayed with Krylon gloss Almond. I was going to use beige or ivory, but they were both much lighter than the original.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by dakelm
Do you recall what specific color (brand, code, etc.) you used on your dash? Did you have chance to compare it to an excellent original?
The original was the same as the exterior of the truck, Palisade Green, but I opted to do the interior a darker color. What I used here on the dash was Krylon gloss Hunter Green straight out of the rattle can.
Please keep in mind, that this truck is NOT a frame off restoration, but rather intended to be a 'fun driver', with that I approached the truck with the 20 footer outlook. On the other hand, I did not want to change too much from original.

Julie, I am aware of the decals, but they don't have them with the graduations on the speedometer, so I wanted them all to be uniform. Plus, with the wife doing them, it has that 'personal' touch that I love.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:09 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by dakelm
Mine is rusted to the point where I am going to have to bead blast it down to bare metal and start painting from there. If I can find the correct size screen cloth to replicate the original silver diamond pattern, I'm going to try a two color (silver base with beige top coat) process and see what happens. Are you happy with the match of the Krylon gloss Almond? Is the surface finish supposed to be glossy or more of a satin/flat? It's getting harder to find an original mint condition gauge cluster to use as a reference source.
When I cleaned mine up, save the obvious rust, it had a gloss finish to it.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Gauge resto

I originally stripped my cluster to bare metal, used etching primer and rattle can "tan" color so I lost the diamond pattern. I've pulled the cluster out again. I am considering re-doing either with decals and later model gauges or working around the original 6 volt gauges with 12v.

I have replaced gauge faces on both 6 volt and 12 volt meter faceplates; will re-work instrument cluster over winter after deciding on voltage supply.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Julie, I am aware of the decals, but they don't have them with the graduations on the speedometer, so I wanted them all to be uniform. Plus, with the wife doing them, it has that 'personal' touch that I love.
I just wasn't sure if the Original Poster knew it.

And, they do make a set of decals with the speedometer graduations similar to yours. I believe they were used on the "Big Trucks." But the only place I've seen them for sale is on e-bay and very rarely. In typical fashion you will see them regularly until you need to buy a set.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Restoration of '48-'50 F-1 gauge panel