6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Pics and some install notes for Firestone Ride Rite #2535 air bags

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by glsurratt
For those who have installed a compressor, where did you take power from?
Here's a video of my install. At 3:35 it shows where I connected the compressor power source.

2011 Ford Super Duty Airbags Installation - YouTube

Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My system is powered through up fitter #2. Using it daily for over a year now. 1 blown fuse due to leaving the power on while I started the engine. Too much draw during start up for sure.

Most everyone will do a neater install than I did. My stuff all works and is reliable, we are lucky to have some real good folks to show some nice thoughtful install options that are clean.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the relay idea. I can't use an upfitter switch because I'll need constant key-on power to the compressor.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the airbags as well. Considering putting an onboard compressor on though...when I triple tow if things are just right, I get the tetor totter effect, and then have to pull over and adjust the bags...would be real nice to hit the button and go....

Where's the best place to buy a small compressor??

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I always order from suspension connection .com. They have complete kits like most other places do but I like to repeat my business when I am treated well. Good experiences with them.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
If you are interested in going to a full management system we have quite a few options available and can be found at any of these retailers.

Were you looking to be able to adjust each bag separately or are you just concerned with the overall pressure in both to help with the teeter totter effect?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Got the Firestone 2535 airbag kit installed on my F-450 yesterday. A couple of additional tips:
(1) If you have the factory installed hitch, you do not have to remove the brackets to get the passenger side upper bracket bolt installed. Firestone provided a large frame nut that fits into the oval hole and the nut is thin enough that you can slide it up between the frame and the hitch bracket. When you put it in, the litte tit goes to the forward end of the truck.
(2) Same area, you'll need at least two of the large washers on the 3/4 inch bolt. It is long enough that it sticks through the frame nut far enough to contact the hitch rail. Putting two washers will pull it back just far enough to leave some clearance and ensure that the bolt is tight.
(3) Driver's side upper bolt replaces the bolt and P-clip for the urea tank. I snapped the P-clip in half trying to get it off. Rather than remove the rest of the bolts to loosen the urea tank bracket, I just left the broken part between the frame and bracket. If you get it lined up, the new bolt will pass through with no problem.
(4) Lower bolt on the upper bracket on the driver's side was the worst part of the install. There is a wire harness and a plug right where the nut goes on the upper side of the lower frame rail. I don't have a ratcheting wrench, and getting a socket in there was impossible, so it took a lot of turns and time using a regular open end wrench and allen wrench from the bottom.
(5) When you put the lower brackets together, check for fit before tightening them down or installing them. The bolt into the bottom of the airbags goes through the upper peice of the lower bracket. You need to ensure that there is room between the underside of the upper bracket and the jounce bar for the head of the bolt to clear the jounce bar on the axle. This is in the instructions and it says to fit the two pieces together at the lowest setting that works. The bracket fits at the very lowest setting, but to get the clearance for the bolt, I had to move it up one notch from the very lowes setting.

Overall, a very smooth install. Better fit and better instructions than when I installed a similar set on my 2006 F-350.

I'm getting too old to be crawling around under the truck all day in 50 degree weather, so the air compressor, tank and automatic leveling valve are going to wait until I get to some warmer weather.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Good stuff Greg. I remember dealing with every one of your points except I don't have the factory hitch.

On the bottom bracket note, I installed at the highest position. My thoughts were 1, the bag is not squeezed too much so it should work well there, and 2, the highest position would allow more play for positive action. Meaning that when the body of the truck bounces up and away from the axle the airbag would stretch more and avoid stress by being pulled apart. This is a concern for heavy fifth wheel trailers as the trailer will pull the truck upward in certain road conditions, and doing triple tow rigs too.

And to you mike from airlift, I commend you for keeping a presence on this site. I may use your product some day as a result. I run with Firestone because back in 2007 I looked at your product and it felt to be lighter duty, smaller, and less industrial feeling than the Firestone product. But thanks for being professional here.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:29 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
On the bottom bracket note, I installed at the highest position. My thoughts were 1, the bag is not squeezed too much so it should work well there, and 2, the highest position would allow more play for positive action. Meaning that when the body of the truck bounces up and away from the axle the airbag would stretch more and avoid stress by being pulled apart. This is a concern for heavy fifth wheel trailers as the trailer will pull the truck upward in certain road conditions, and doing triple tow rigs too.
Good point. I wonder if your F-250 has more clearance between axle and frame than my F-450 (I'm thinking the 4 inch vs 2 inch jounce bumper blocks)?
I have a TrailAir pinbox on the fiver, so that airbag takes up some of the "upward pull" that you mention - my pinbox has about a 3" inch stroke with 80 psi in the bag.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by ruschejj
And to you mike from airlift, I commend you for keeping a presence on this site. I may use your product some day as a result. I run with Firestone because back in 2007 I looked at your product and it felt to be lighter duty, smaller, and less industrial feeling than the Firestone product. But thanks for being professional here.
We appreciate your comment. We are striving to improve knowledge of our products and air in general. If you are in the market again for air products in the future we would appreciate your business.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 PM
castellscl
New User
Tools?

Bringing back an old thread, does anyone remember what size sockets and wrenches they need to install these? I'm at my parents house and not sure they have all the right tools needed.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
9/16" socket/wrench
1 1/8" socket

5/16" Allen wrench ( I think)

That's it. Razor blade, wiring/crimp for electrical.