Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

My F600 Crewcab Dually Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Audiophile31
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See what you think of a 285/(70 or 75 i dont remember)R19.5 which is around 35.5" tall. They are fairly common, those car carriers out of Detroit run them for their low overall height but high load range. Probably fill out the wheel well nicely and give you a better speed on the highway...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
The steps on this truck look a little bent, but it illustrates what trimming a front step for the rear doors would look like. The older 1970's f600 crew cabs used two steps spot welded together to make one long one. On my truck, I used a driver side front step on the passenger side rear position, and vise versa.

Im assuming you are keeping the factory steps.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:30 AM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
It's progress. I can see the potential.
I got my 6.6 fired up a couple weeks ago, and painted it Ford Blue last week. Mine hadnt started in at least 3 years, but I got it to start in about 10 cranks. I was SOOOO happy!
I'm encouraged about the fact it was trying to start. Then when I found the bad shut off solenoid, I figured it's just a matter of time now. Looking forward to geting it going to be SOOOO Happy too.

John B.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 AM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Audiophile31
Sorry I forgot to chime back in, I think my cut points were ~3" above the bottom of the windshield on both and the Reg cab floor behind the rocker seam and crew cab floor infront of rocker seam so I had room to match. Glad to see you're making progress!
Thanks for the info on the cut points. I'll check those out on my truck. I still have to strip out the F600 interior to look at the floor a little closer. The F350 cab is already stripped down.

I want to put the F600 front end all back together before I cut it to make sure everything fits right. Being that it was wrecked, I don't want too take any chances.

John B.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:47 AM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Audiophile31
See what you think of a 285/(70 or 75 i dont remember)R19.5 which is around 35.5" tall. They are fairly common, those car carriers out of Detroit run them for their low overall height but high load range. Probably fill out the wheel well nicely and give you a better speed on the highway...
I'll probably try to come up with a few different sizes to look at before I make a decision. I figure I've still got a ways to go before I buy tires. Trying to take my time to get it done right, and paying as I go to keep the project from killing me financially.

Thanks for the info on the tire size, I'll definitely try that.

John B.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 AM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4
The steps on this truck look a little bent, but it illustrates what trimming a front step for the rear doors would look like. The older 1970's f600 crew cabs used two steps spot welded together to make one long one. On my truck, I used a driver side front step on the passenger side rear position, and vise versa.

Im assuming you are keeping the factory steps.
I've been looking at what to do with that, and came up with pretty much the same solution. I'm thinking about putting another fuel tank on the passenger side to give me longer driving distance. Then, I'll probably trim the steps for each of the passenger rear doors. Already found a truck to get my parts from. Hopefully in the next month, I can get them and get them put on to my truck. I've also looked at some tool boxes to fill in the underside of the front of the bed.

Thanks,
John B.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Got a trip planned next week to check out the parts I need to put the front end back together. If everything I need is there, I'll take a day off soon to get everything off. Looking forward to getting the front end back together.

I took some rough measurements from the front edge of the doors of each of the cabs and think I'll have at least a 7.5" to 8" gap between the back of the cab and the front of the bed. I'm considering a couple of options, extending the cab, or just moving the rear axle forward. Moving the axle would be the easiest, but nothing else about this is going to be easy, so I haven't decided yet. I've got to consider the benefits of each. Right now I'm not sure the extension would have a lot of payback for the work involved.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
JPA76
Junior User
Stretch the bed would be easier than the cab or moving the axle.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 AM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by JPA76
Stretch the bed would be easier than the cab or moving the axle.
I guess that's another option too. I'll have to be pretty sure of that one though. I managed to find a brand new 1994 dually bed for this project and don't know if I want to cut it up. The PO bought it as a take off in 94 and had it sitting on his project in a garage for 16 years when I found it.

The axle move isn't as hard as you might think. It's a pretty common mod on big trucks. Everything is bolted on the rear. Just needs to be unbolted redrilled and a drive shaft shortened.

I'll have to weigh the time for the benefit. The reason I considered the cab was because it is going to be cut anyway to tie the F600 nose to the F350 crew cab.

Thanks for the reply,
John B.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
I agree on moving the axle, and not changing the sheet metal, especially if you have nice body parts.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4
I agree on moving the axle, and not changing the sheet metal, especially if you have nice body parts.
I kind of got the final look figured out. Thinking of getting a slide in style camper for it later, mostly because it'll be too high for a goose neck. Will probably setup a heavy duty hitch on the back to pull whatever I need.

Thanks,
John B.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
I'm hoping this year is going to be a good year for this project. I wasn't planning on doing too much too soon, but the more I plan and work on it, the more I want to see it come together. After reading about some of the projects on this forum, I realize mine is going to be pretty easy compared to most.

May try to take the day Friday to check out my parts truck. Looks like the rains are going to be around for a while. I'll probably pickup as much as I can while I'm there.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 PM
MrMarquis
Senior User
Any updates on this project? My buddy and I always talked about turning an old F600 or larger into a pickup...love the big blocky trucks.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
cajunscout
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by MrMarquis
Any updates on this project? My buddy and I always talked about turning an old F600 or larger into a pickup...love the big blocky trucks.
Nothing new yet. Having to work on the everyday transportation first, then I'll have a little time and money to work on this. Tell you the truth, I feel like I've got too many irons in the fire sometime.

I'm still planning to get it done though.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any progress to report?

Quick Reply: My F600 Crewcab Dually Project