Sponsored by:

Drivers Side Barn door won't open!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 PM
BernMidwest
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers Side Barn door won't open!!!

Hey guys, made the decision and bought my first X!!!! I'm super pumped, but there are a few small things that need my attention and the first really has me frustrated!
The drivers side barn door won't open. I took the handle off and the door panel and the cable is out but not broken. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how that mechanism in there really works. I can see where the cable lifts, and I push on the other end of the "arm" and it doesn't release the door, almost seems like it should lift higher....
I w-d40 the **** out of it and I'm gonna look at it again tomorrow in the light. Hopefully it was just stuck or gummed up.
Anything anyone knows or if anyone has had similar issues please help! I don't want to take it in for something that seems like I should be able to do! HELP!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:15 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't ever recall reading threads on this problem.
Sounds like the cable is stretched or just not engaging the latch properly. Try pulling on it to give it more tension, or like your suggesting maybe the latch is just gummed up and won't open.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 AM
BernMidwest
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on my way over to look at it and see if I can figure it out, but yeah, I couldn't find anything on this problem on the forum.
I'm also a little worried because I got the cable off already....and it doesn't seem like it will be an easy task getting it back on!!!! haha

Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By any chance, would you remember what you did to remove the panels to get access to the cables in the rear barn door? I have same issue. I don't want to force anything that's not supposed to come off. On the inside, it looks like there is a plastic band that runs around the carpeting on the inside door wall. Did you pry that off and just pull on the carpeted panel? I imagine, like the expeditions, it will have access holes and allow you to see the lock actuator where the cable connects to it? Thanks for any info you can provide...just don't want to break mine... if it doesn't work that way. The door has been stuck for about 8-10 months... and I haven't gotten a clear answer on here how to remove those inside panels. The expeditions show great photos and guides. but not the excursions.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:14 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by handyandy123
By any chance, would you remember what you did to remove the panels to get access to the cables in the rear barn door? I have same issue. I don't want to force anything that's not supposed to come off. On the inside, it looks like there is a plastic band that runs around the carpeting on the inside door wall. Did you pry that off and just pull on the carpeted panel? I imagine, like the expeditions, it will have access holes and allow you to see the lock actuator where the cable connects to it? Thanks for any info you can provide...just don't want to break mine... if it doesn't work that way. The door has been stuck for about 8-10 months... and I haven't gotten a clear answer on here how to remove those inside panels. The expeditions show great photos and guides. but not the excursions.

HEY HANDY : PLEASE ADD YOUR LOCATION to your profile
Did you notice this is a 5 Y/O post ?? This my not be your cup of tea BUT once one of mine went bad I drilled the handle rivets, Removed the handle & cable. Now I just stick my hand in the hole & push the lever. PROBLEM SOLVED

Old 04-13-2015, 08:54 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may get lucky and the cable at the latch may be bad. The rubber ring that holds it in place is usually what fails, if this is the case you can work it without removing a panel. Do search on eBay for "Ford door cable latch repair" it's a $19 part and very easy to repair. I did this myself a few months back in 10 minutes and I never do anything (always have it done) lol

Old 04-13-2015, 08:57 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Yeah, saw the 5yr old date...was hoping they'd still answer. Well your solution definitely is a fix! but hoping to see if I can just pop off the inside panels somehow to get access to the holes. I bet they do pop off and probably stay on with clips...But with my luck I will force it, and it will crack and look like crap and be a constant reminder to me to ask before doing.... LOL. Your method still allows for it to lock correct, but you'd have to manually hand lock it? and with the glass hatch down, it covers the open hole, so nothing is exposed?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Hey LivingLarge...ok but how did you get access to the cable...that's my question....didn't you need to remove something to see the cable and rubber end? I don't see anywhere that the opening is exposed on the excursion. The handle is riveted. I'd like to look at the same thing on mine...I bet its the end of the cable that has popped out of its groove/catch. I used zip ties on the expedition to fix that one and it worked fine. but that was an easy to pop off rear inside cover panel and wah la, the whole lock mechanism was right there in front of me. How did you do yours?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Works as normal other than no handle or cable in & on the door. All mine are 2000s & the handle is in the side of the door SO you see nothing till you open the right door, lower your head & turn your neck 90 Degrees.

PS: I can't screw around & not have the back fully accessible so after the emergency hack, I'm just fine to leave as is...

Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Thanks Harley4 if all else fails, I may be doing that. It really sucks to not have that door working as it severely limits the functionality of the truck. And I put my daughters wheelchair in the back. Its a PITA to have to undo chair everytime to break it down into pieces because that one door doesn't open. When both doors worked, the whole chair would go in still put together...very easily with room to spare.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Handy.... put your location in your profile! What if I'm 2 blocks up the road from you and can come fix it this afternoon if you give me a Rockstar sugar free? LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Gotya Apocalypse..... I thought I had done that. I'm in Miami Beach. Let me go back into profile and see what happened. Thanks for letting me know.

Sincerely,
Andy

Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
The cable was still attached to the latch, I pulled on it with a needle nose (that opened the door) then with about 4 inches of cable exposed I cut out the rubber stopper that had fallen apaty. Then I used the ebay part and pushed it back into the original small hole and reconnected the small ball to the bottom of the latch... It's harder to explain than the actual job.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:38 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
ok I will take a look. I guess, if you pull on the handle you can see the cable inside?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:44 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Yes, the ball end hooks into the handle itself... Just wiggle it out from the plastic handle.

Quick Reply: Drivers Side Barn door won't open!!!