Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

95 Auto trans swap.. how difficult/tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Auto trans swap.. how difficult/tips?

I was hoping to avoid having to do this, but its going to be that time soon! I wanted to see if there were any tips or tricks that some of you die hard Explorer types could give on swapping out the auto trans on a 95 XLT Limitted 4x4 Explorer. I have done tons of swaps, add ons, modds to other vehicles, but this is my first for an Explorer. Dang thing has been running like a champ from day one, and never needed a thing other then routine maintenance.

Sadly my less then brilliant nephew borrowed my Explorer to make a short trip, he went playing around and while cruising down the road at 40mph, threw the shifter into Reverse "accidently". Now that he has been permenantly banned from ever touching anything with wheels, the poor Explorer whines at the end of 3rd gear as it shifts into 4th. I have pampered it along while I search for a used trans, using conditioners, not going over 35mph, driving only when its cool (desert heat during the day makes it whine and moan more). I wanted to consider a new trans or a rebuilt one, but they are ball parking $1800-2400 around here. I will eventually get a new trans, but it will have to wait as I am sure the engine will be the next to go (230,000+ miles already) and I cant swing too much at this moment.

Any insight, advice and expertice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The best tip I have is to rebuild your old one. Used trans have unknown histories. Even a rebuilt trans has an unknown history (why did it fail, what was replaced, etc.) If you rebuild your old trans, you can determine what went wrong, fix what was wrong, upgrade it to exceed OEM specs, and make it better than a new Ford trans, sometimes for less than the cost of a rebuilt swap in.

If you take care of that motor, it will last at least another 200,000 miles.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Thats some awesome news to hear about the motor! It still runs like a champ, and maintenance is done like clockwork on it. Even went with some pretty sharp synthetic oils. I am so amazed at it! LOL!

I keep trying to get a ball park estimate on a trans overhaul, but the shops wont let that secret out. I keep getting told that it depends on how many parts need to be replaced... I dont quite understand that as there are only so many parts in an Auto that is still functioning that needs an overhaul. Maybe I have played with too many E4OD's!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
idfergusson
Senior User
I have replaced a couple of transmissions in Rangers/Explorers.I bought total loss vehicles from the local insurance yard for $300-500 and parted out what I didn't need so the actual cost of the transmission was minimal and I can pull the transmission out in the comfort of my garage.Look for low mileage vehicles,vehicles that have obviously been cared for and also look for signs of a rebuilt transmission like billls in the glove box or bolts that have been recently replaced.A quick cruise through the yard at a local wrecker to see what is gone from the Explorers will give you a good idea of what is saleable.Wheels,hubs,battery,alternator,starter and aftermarket stereos can be removed and sold easily, other parts can sometimes be more of a PITA to try and sell than what they are worth.The last vehicle I bought was a 93 Explorer LTD with 103,000 km on it hit in the front hard and I paid $350.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
If you go to a shop they should be able to give you an estimate. Also ask about warranty. A good shop should give a good warranty period. Cost me $1400 for my A4LD and with a 12 mo/12k mile warranty. Been 4 years and still going good.