2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

The british Transit would be a great F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The british Transit would be a great F100

The F150s have become so big, and yet don't really serve the self-employed contractor as well as Fords european alternative, the Transit which is available in hundreds of configurations. Check it out yourselves;
Ford Transit - Synonymous with van usage across the world - Ford UK

I've been driving a new one while my F150 is off the road and it's good. It's a diesel 4 with a 6 speed manual transmission, three seat cab van like the closed version below. It does double the milage my 5.4 does. Wouldn't this make a brilliant practical F100 for contractors? You can even buy it with a tipper bed. It also available as front drive, rear wheel drive or 4x4.

Ed

These are the engines available in England:

There is a choice of FWD, RWD and AWD drive trains and you can choose between FWD 2.2 TDCi engines, 2.4 TDCi RWD/AWD engines, the 3.2 TDCi 200PS RWD engine and the 2.3 RWD petrol engine.

The 2.4 TDCi and 3.2 TDCi engines, all with 6-speed manual transmission, as well as an optional long-range fuel tank (103 litres) will help you to cover long distances with ease.
Diesel front-wheel drive (FWD)
2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi engine, available in three power and torque configurations:
• 85 PS/250 Nm – Durashift 5-speed manual transmission
• 115 PS/300 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 140 PS/350 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
Diesel rear-wheel drive (RWD)
2.4-litre Duratorq TDCi engine, available in three power and torque configurations:
• 100PS/285Nm - Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 115 PS/310 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 140 PS/375 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission

3.2-litre Duratorq TDCi engine:
• 200 PS/470 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
Diesel all-wheel drive (AWD)
2.4-litre Duratorq TDCi engine:
Petrol (RWD)
2.3-litre Duratec engine:
• 145 PS/210 Nm – Durashift 5-speed manual transmission

Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM
valdor
Senior User
Originally Posted by edwardlloyd
The F150s have become so big, and yet don't really serve the self-employed contractor as well as Fords european alternative, the Transit which is available in hundreds of configurations. Check it out yourselves;
Ford Transit - Synonymous with van usage across the world - Ford UK

I've been driving a new one while my F150 is off the road and it's good. It's a diesel 4 with a 6 speed manual transmission, three seat cab van like the closed version below. It does double the milage my 5.4 does. Wouldn't this make a brilliant practical F100 for contractors? You can even buy it with a tipper bed. It also available as front drive, rear wheel drive or 4x4.

Ed

These are the engines available in England:

There is a choice of FWD, RWD and AWD drive trains and you can choose between FWD 2.2 TDCi engines, 2.4 TDCi RWD/AWD engines, the 3.2 TDCi 200PS RWD engine and the 2.3 RWD petrol engine.

The 2.4 TDCi and 3.2 TDCi engines, all with 6-speed manual transmission, as well as an optional long-range fuel tank (103 litres) will help you to cover long distances with ease.
Diesel front-wheel drive (FWD)
2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi engine, available in three power and torque configurations:
• 85 PS/250 Nm – Durashift 5-speed manual transmission
• 115 PS/300 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 140 PS/350 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
Diesel rear-wheel drive (RWD)
2.4-litre Duratorq TDCi engine, available in three power and torque configurations:
• 100PS/285Nm - Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
• 115 PS/310 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission

3.2-litre Duratorq TDCi engine:
• 200 PS/470 Nm – Durashift 6-speed manual transmission
Diesel all-wheel drive (AWD)
2.4-litre Duratorq TDCi engine:
Petrol (RWD)
2.3-litre Duratec engine:
• 145 PS/210 Nm – Durashift 5-speed manual transmission
I agree those vehicles make excellent urban workhorses to the man needing a work truck without the great towing abillity of the F150. But they do make up for it in payload and practicallity. Interistingly i have a strong haunch some of those engines will be finding their way in new "Euro Ranger" nl the 2.2 4pot TDi and 3.2 5 pot TDi. But putting an F-badge on that thing......

Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I think Ford would be very smart to introduce a vehicle in the US with that kind of versatility.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:47 PM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
It is an incredible range with dozens of variations. In comparison the Ranger just seems a toy.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 PM
OldBlueOvalDude
Senior User
Re: "...the Ranger just seems a toy." The compact overall size is what I like about my Ranger. Besides, that Transit is an awesome platform but is not available here in the USA. That being the case, my Ranger makes a nice daily driver and off road rig while my "new" 1973 F-250 makes a great heavy hauler/heavy tow rig. As nice as that Transit is, I wouldn't want to show up at Moab with it and would certainly rather drive an old dent-side to the lumberyard.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM
joenonnemaker
New User
transit = F100

I don't think so! Let them sell it here as a transit

Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by joenonnemaker
I don't think so! Let them sell it here as a transit
But will Ford do it? Their experience with the Transit Connect may make them think Americans don't want European trucks. But sold with an underpowered gas engine with automatic transmission, no wonder. If they do bring the Transit over it needs to retain its 140 hp diesel engine and 6-speed manual transmission.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 AM
One79one71
Senior User
Having been all over europe, i have to say these kind of vehicles are very wide spread in commercial uses. The Pick-up like we know it here is not represeted hardly atall. Many towns built before the days of our enslavement to oil still use lil micro trucks Yahoo! Image Detail for - http://www.carmodel.net/itemsPhotosEncrypter.php?0-43452.jpg

Ford would be smart to bring those over here. But not as a replacement to the Pickup as many contractors would want something to use as a daily driver aswell.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Kalve
Posting Guru
just bring it over as business & fleet use only an take it from there.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 AM
artfd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 2009 I talked to a retired Ford engineer about the great little turbodiesels Ford uses abroad & why they're not available in the USA. His opinion was that some states' pollution controls were too strict to justify the changes Ford would have to make to get past the emissions testing hurdle. The market just wasn't big enough and the requirements too high for Ford to bother with.
I doubt Ford will ever sell diesel engines smaller than the ones it currently offers.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by artfd
In 2009 I talked to a retired Ford engineer about the great little turbodiesels Ford uses abroad & why they're not available in the USA. His opinion was that some states' pollution controls were too strict to justify the changes Ford would have to make to get past the emissions testing hurdle. The market just wasn't big enough and the requirements too high for Ford to bother with.
I doubt Ford will ever sell diesel engines smaller than the ones it currently offers.
Ford have had to make the changes anyway. Europe's emissions standards are very high too. All diesels now have particle filters and many have blue-tec too. If they don't have it they're not allowed in the big cities.

Are we wasting our time? Does anyone at Ford actually read this. Where are you Bill? Your Granddad would have been reading this if he were still around. He was in touch with his loyal customers.
Ed

Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM
artfd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by edwardlloyd
Europe's emissions standards are very high too. All diesels now have particle filters
I've found no evidence that small Ford diesel engines which satisfy Euro emission standards can meet US emissions applied by the "CARB states" which is a big chunk of the US market. If anyone knows, please post.
My friend Jim the OTR trucker has noticed the truck stops are now selling the additives necessary for some newer diesels. I expect eventually there will be dispensers for whatever-you-call-it right next to the diesel fuel pumps.
For now, the BlueTec stuff is for the few, the elite.
These new diesel restrictions will nibble away at the cost advantage (think $/mile) that small truck diesel engines have over gas engines and will likely introduce problems of their own.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
IMO the problem with diesel emission regs is the refusal of the US to adopt European standards or vice versa. One standard would reduce costs and increase options in the US, with increased fuel economy as a benefit.

We have Sprinters at work. They run a looonng time on a tank. One with a box on it would be sooooo much cheaper to run than the E350 based box trucks we have that have 460s in them and get 8 to 11 mpg. Maybe soon, they say they are buying 4500 next year. Too bad Ford isn't getting a piece of it....

Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by artfd
I've found no evidence that small Ford diesel engines which satisfy Euro emission standards can meet US emissions applied by the "CARB states" which is a big chunk of the US market. If anyone knows, please post.
My friend Jim the OTR trucker has noticed the truck stops are now selling the additives necessary for some newer diesels. I expect eventually there will be dispensers for whatever-you-call-it right next to the diesel fuel pumps.
For now, the BlueTec stuff is for the few, the elite.
These new diesel restrictions will nibble away at the cost advantage (think $/mile) that small truck diesel engines have over gas engines and will likely introduce problems of their own.
Mercedes sell diesels in the US as do Volkswagen. Ford diesels meet the same standards that Mercedes and VW do, so must be clean enough for most states.
Ed

Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
IMO the problem with diesel emission regs is the refusal of the US to adopt European standards or vice versa. One standard would reduce costs and increase options in the US, with increased fuel economy as a benefit.

We have Sprinters at work. They run a looonng time on a tank. One with a box on it would be sooooo much cheaper to run than the E350 based box trucks we have that have 460s in them and get 8 to 11 mpg. Maybe soon, they say they are buying 4500 next year. Too bad Ford isn't getting a piece of it....
So if you bought 4500 V10 trucks at 10mpg that costs (at $3/gal) $30.000 gasoline for 100.000 mile life. Total $135m gas costs.

Instead buy 4500 Sprinter diesels at 25mpg that costs ($3.50/gal) $14.000 diesel for 100.000 mile life. Total $63m diesel costs.

A lot of saving potential. $16.000 per truck per 100.000 miles. Sure servicing may be more expensive but not that much more. After 200.000 miles the diesel truck has saved the owner it's purchase price.

Ford could lose a lot of sales long term.

Ed

Quick Reply: The british Transit would be a great F100