6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Just Another Sad Day In The Life Of A Ford Dealer Technician

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:25 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow
In the 15 years I worked as a mechanic, I either worked for my dad, an independant shop or a large fleet....never for a dealership. I had several friends that did, including my dad after his shop had to close. What do they all have in common....they all pretty much hated it because of the politics involved.
I have pretty much worked mostly at dealerships during the last 15 plus years of my career, so I pretty much know all too well how the politics games work. Like prevously mentioned, I still enjoy wrenching, I still enjoy learning about the new products that come out every year and all the new technology that goes with it. I still love Ford vehicles (you will never catch me driving or owning a Toyota or Honda product).

What gets beyond frustrating though, is despite the effort I put into keeping all my certifications up to date, and my willingness to tackle difficult jobs, is the lack of respect I get from all sides just about.

Take this situation in the original post. Here we have a customer who brings his vehicle in for a catastrophic failure. He is very calm and co-operative about all the information requested of him. I have no problem trying to look at things from all sides (despite the fact that I've lost a week's pay). The cost of this particular repair is going to be enormous no matter who pays. The manufacturer only wants to ensure that the cost of the repair is justified. While I don't have a problem with that, there are other factors to consider. The time it takes me to look up all the parts needed for the repair (of which there are MANY), and my parts department simply can't afford to tie up one person to look them all up (not to mention that they don't know WHAT to look up). The time it has taken me to place phone calls to Hot-Line to discuss all further testing needed. The time taken to respond back to those responsible for accepting or rejecting a request for claim approval. This means taking more pictures, uploading those pictures through a response link that takes a million years to load up each picture attachment, and then typing all the information that is being requested, and finally re-submitting it.

In a nutshell, there has been way more time wasted in this process than the actual time wrenching, time that I am NOT getting paid. And THIS is the kind of thing that tests one's patience and puts one's sanity on the line.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:46 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your week. One of the many reasons why when I was wrenching I never worked for a dearler. A few of them talked to me about it, but there was no way I was going to deal with that stuff on daily basis.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
used soley for work purposes, NOT a "***** extender" with a tuner and doodads.
I have a tuner and doodads and the ( "***** extender") thing never happened ? so thats probably not covered under warranty ?

Our ford dealers here in AZ seem to get the trucks thru quickly ,, at least for HG issues ,,I think it is rediculous what your going thru ,, good luck

Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a crying shame that you have to go through this. To loose a week's pay over doing your job is crazy. As another poster has stated also, I'm not a big fan of unions but dang it, you ought to be compensated for the work that you've already done so far!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is yet another case of a few ruining it for many. I can't drive into the city without being passed by 4 or 5 trucks ripping passed me blowing huge clouds of black smoke through a huge tail pipe. One lives down the street from me, but it's a Dodge.
These few idiots destroying motors on a regular basis now have all the OEM's acting like an insurance company.
I worked at a big GM dealer when Buick Grand Nationals were hot. Beside repainting these cars when they were delivered many underwent more than one engine swap due to boost level by the owner. But the GM rep just signed the papers and we were ready to go. Now with a million tuners trucks eating 20k motors there is no way the OEM's can turn a blind eye.
So the average guy with a tuner that is looking for a bit of economy and a bit more power under certain conditions is screwed. I wouldn't run one on a new truck with this witch hunt going on.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I think we will see less people messing with the new scorpion motor ? are the 6.4's covered for 5yr 100k like the 6.0's even if they are those will be dropping off the warranty radar in a few years
Heck Ford may not need mechanics anymore lol

Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Front Runner
It's a crying shame that you have to go through this. To loose a week's pay over doing your job is crazy. As another poster has stated also, I'm not a big fan of unions but dang it, you ought to be compensated for the work that you've already done so far!
You took the words right out of my mouth!!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
here im the states we as techs tried to go union. the United Auto workers did not pick us up. We were picked up by the aerospace and machinist workers union. It didnt play out well. Most shops just fired the tech that were supporting it and payed off the saleouts to rat.
Theres now a few union shops out there but not many.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I never thought of it from a techs point of view. I think I would be looking for a new job. Reminds me of the same BS doctors have to go through. Gotta love the government for mandating all this new emissions junk.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:56 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
its not that easy some of us make a good living doing what we do. Its hard to go out and make 75k+ a year and know that you will always have a job. Many of us dont have a collage degree some of us didnt even finish highschool but still have a way to make a really good living.
I wish I knew what else I could do to to make the same thing I do now, What I would give to not have to deal with the b.s.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cheezit
its not that easy some of us make a good living doing what we do. Its hard to go out and make 75k+ a year and know that you will always have a job. Many of us dont have a collage degree some of us didnt even finish highschool but still have a way to make a really good living.
I wish I knew what else I could do to to make the same thing I do now, What I would give to not have to deal with the b.s.
Very noble point !

Old 10-02-2010, 04:20 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Sad as it is to say, I can't believe there are some out there who will pay RETAIL to have repairs done even when they're still within their warranty period, only because they can't afford the down time involved with all the game playing.
Being a tech for International, I cannot tell you how many Ford trucks customers have brought in to get work done even when the vehicle is still under warranty because they don't want to deal with Ford's warranty, the B.S., and the 3 week downtime it takes to get the truck fixed.

The customer would get a quote and time frame from us on how long it would take to get this job done. They said the Ford dealership would be a couple days to 3 weeks. We would tell them we have the parts in stock and could get it done today.

...we used to work on alot of Alaska Railroad vehicles. They were happy to have the truck back in service the same or next day!

It's not just Ford though, we have done warranty on a lot of other vehicles to that the customer paid for because it is cheaper for them to pay for it than to have the truck not make money during the downtime and have it covered under warranty.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 PM
miner999r
Tuned
Originally Posted by cheezit
Don't sweat it. Life is full of BS, you just have to get up in the morning and say my glass is at least half full and make up your mind to have a good day. I grew up on a poor mixed farm, worked in the mines as a miner, engineer, chief engineer, superintendent, manager, too much time in gov't service and some enjoyable time as a pilot. It all has the BS just different smells and textures. Mostly the grass really isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by miner999r
Don't sweat it. Life is full of BS, you just have to get up in the morning and say my glass is at least half full and make up your mind to have a good day. I grew up on a poor mixed farm, worked in the mines as a miner, engineer, chief engineer, superintendent, manager, too much time in gov't service and some enjoyable time as a pilot. It all has the BS just different smells and textures. Mostly the grass really isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

Some of the truest words I've seen yet. Posted on the internet no less. A lot of people think the answer is start your own business, be your own boss. Got news for you, if you own a business you are NEVER your own boss. And BS abounds.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Being completely honest with you. I have wrenched on NONE that have DPF/CAT delete systems with tuners on them, so I have no problem admitting that I have ZERO experience with them.
That you know of.

First thing everyone says when someone inquires about adding a tuner and deleting the DPF is "remember to change it back to stock prior to taking it to the dealer."

Sucks that you have to go through that kind of aggravation though.

Quick Reply: Just Another Sad Day In The Life Of A Ford Dealer Technician