Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

blown reverse need diagnosis help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
noreverse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown reverse need diagnosis help

I have a 94 F250 4x4 last winter I got stuck & in the process of trying to get un-stuck shifted into reverse and heard a "bang" & no more reverse. Can anyone tell me what I may have broken.thanks:bela"no reverse"

Old 10-02-2010, 07:58 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noreverse
I have a 94 F250 4x4 last winter I got stuck & in the process of trying to get un-stuck shifted into reverse and heard a "bang" & no more reverse. Can anyone tell me what I may have broken.thanks:bela"no reverse"
If you still have low gear you probably broke the reverse idler gear. At any rate it's a problem inside the tranny and you gotta take it out and take it apart.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:17 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dave boley
If you still have low gear you probably broke the reverse idler gear. At any rate it's a problem inside the tranny and you gotta take it out and take it apart.
2 x , Dave's right, it sucks but its time to drop the trans , hopefully you did minimal damages and will be easily fixable.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The real pain is going to be the fact that you have a 4X4 which means the extra weight and disconnection of the transfer case and front drive shaft. You have to be really careful with all those electrical connections as those connectors get hard and brittle which means the latching tabs snap off real easy. Hopefully you can get to it before it gets cold as that stuff is even worse about breaking when cold. Don't try to drop it with the shift lever attached and be sure to remove the linkage to the transfer case if it is a manual.

I have a complete tranny, bell housing and transfer case from an '83 I could stand to part with if that would be of any help bit I thing it is different than what you have.

Later Man...