6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 AM
King Rancher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!

Hi All
I recently bought a 2006 F350 King Ranch crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0L powerstroke and 140000 miles. I just got the truck back today after my local Ford dealer replaced the high pressure oil fitting and a cracked case (required the whole cab to be removed). After all the money I spent the truck runs worse now then before it blew up. The check engine light came on soon after I picked it up so back to the dealer it went. The tech told me the truck has an EGR cooler delete (the former owner installed I guess)which is causing a code to be set in the computer. He did replace the burnt up (his words) EGR valve and deleted the trouble code but on my way home tonight the check engine light came on again. Is it possible the tech connected something he shouldn't have in relation to the EGR cooler delete? I mean the truck ran great with no codes for the first two weeks I owned it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Another thing I forgot to mention, the tech said the mass airflow readings were slightly out of wack due to my factory exhuast being removed. Right now the truck has no muffler at all. No codes were found that related to this however I thought I mention it.

2006 Black N Tan F350 King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4 Dually mostly stock (I think)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 10-01-2010, 01:31 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
There is some speculation here, so you might want to get verification on what I'm going to suggest.

You may very well have gotten updated software in your PCM (the engine computer). I believe one of the featurs of the newer software is to set a code and turn on the check engine light if the computer can't detect flow through the EGR. I'm not entirely sure how the computer determines if there is flow through the EGR, but I think it uses information from the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), the Manifold Pressure Sensor (MAP) and the Exhause Backpressure Sensor (EBP) and maybe others. Basically it knows, based on air flowing in, engine speed, exhaust back pressure, etc that it should see a certain MAP value. And those values should change in specific ways when the EGR valve opens and closes. Since an EGR cooler delete involves blocking off the EGR passages, no exhaust can flow through the EGR and the computer will detect that, set a code and set the light.

The only solution that I've read about is using a tuner and custom tunes to shut this "feature" off in the computer.

Someone will be along shortly, or tomorrow, to tell me if I'm full of it or not.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM
King Rancher
New User
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
There is some speculation here, so you might want to get verification on what I'm going to suggest.

You may very well have gotten updated software in your PCM (the engine computer). I believe one of the featurs of the newer software is to set a code and turn on the check engine light if the computer can't detect flow through the EGR. I'm not entirely sure how the computer determines if there is flow through the EGR, but I think it uses information from the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), the Manifold Pressure Sensor (MAP) and the Exhause Backpressure Sensor (EBP) and maybe others. Basically it knows, based on air flowing in, engine speed, exhaust back pressure, etc that it should see a certain MAP value. And those values should change in specific ways when the EGR valve opens and closes. Since an EGR cooler delete involves blocking off the EGR passages, no exhaust can flow through the EGR and the computer will detect that, set a code and set the light.

The only solution that I've read about is using a tuner and custom tunes to shut this "feature" off in the computer.

Someone will be along shortly, or tomorrow, to tell me if I'm full of it or not.
Your right on the money, and thanks for the input. My dealer did install the latest and greatest into my truck's computer which screwed up the whole works. Now I have to spend another $450 on a programmer

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by King Rancher
Hi All

I just got the truck back today after my local Ford dealer replaced the high pressure oil fitting and a cracked case (required the whole cab to be removed).
I know one of our tech's will correct me if I'm wrong, but if they charged you for removing the cab then you got screwed. I'm fairly certain it can be "easily" done by just removing the turbo.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I know one of our tech's will correct me if I'm wrong, but if they charged you for removing the cab then you got screwed. I'm fairly certain it can be "easily" done by just removing the turbo.
If it was the cover that broke and they charged to remove the cab then they are trying to make extra cash for the kids collage money.If it was the plate at the back of the motor then the motor has to come out or the cab and tranny has to come off.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by brickie
If it was the cover that broke and they charged to remove the cab then they are trying to make extra cash for the kids collage money.If it was the plate at the back of the motor then the motor has to come out or the cab and tranny has to come off.
Maybe I quick scanned the part about the case (old blind azz just didn't see it--LMAO) having to be replaced. I thought he meant the HPOP cover?? I KNOW they don't have to pull the cab to replace the STC fitting.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 PM
King Rancher
New User
My bill reads:
Disassembled down to hp pump found fitting blown broke rear engine cover replaced rear engine cover and hp pump fitting, high pressure oil branch tube, both high pressure oil rail end plugs and feed tubes and ipr valve.
Who knows the extent to which this dealer may or may not have taken me but whats done is done. One things for sure, I will never buy another vehicle there again! New or used! I'm hoping this programmer that the tech said I should buy will take care of my check engine light woe's.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by King Rancher
My bill reads:
Disassembled down to hp pump found fitting blown broke rear engine cover replaced rear engine cover and hp pump fitting, high pressure oil branch tube, both high pressure oil rail end plugs and feed tubes and ipr valve.
Who knows the extent to which this dealer may or may not have taken me but whats done is done. One things for sure, I will never buy another vehicle there again! New or used! I'm hoping this programmer that the tech said I should buy will take care of my check engine light woe's.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>
You weren't taken at all by this dealer. As a matter of fact, the servicing tech described the repair very well. It turns out your truck failed the STC fitting bad enough to the point where it cracked the rear engine cover and bent the branch tube. Like previously mentioned, to replace the branch tube requires cab, transmission and rear engine cover removal to access and replace.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by m-chan68
You weren't taken at all by this dealer. As a matter of fact, the servicing tech described the repair very well. It turns out your truck failed the STC fitting bad enough to the point where it cracked the rear engine cover and bent the branch tube. Like previously mentioned, to replace the branch tube requires cab, transmission and rear engine cover removal to access and replace.
Thanks for setting me straight Mike. I've never seen/heard of an STC fitting having such a catastrophic failure that it cracked the rear engine cover.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 AM
1954oldred
Senior User
Morning Kingrancher,
If You are going to buy a tuner look very seriously at the SCT as they seem to have the most success at tuning the 6.0. Their support is great as well.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
King Rancher
New User
Originally Posted by 1954oldred
Morning Kingrancher,
If You are going to buy a tuner look very seriously at the SCT as they seem to have the most success at tuning the 6.0. Their support is great as well.
Actually that's the exact programmer that the tech recommended.
Thanks for all the helpful posts, it's much appreciated. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't taken by this service dept. Just my luck to buy something that would require a good deal o fixin within the first month of ownership. Oh well, at least according to the service mgr I've eliminated the two top repairs and should be good to go for a while.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 AM
King Rancher
New User
Could anyone recommend a place to buy one of these SCT tuners. The tech told me I needed an SCT X3 loaded with a tune that supports an EGR cooler delete. He said they installed the latest Ford program which is causing the EGR valve to open and dump boost. It's also causing a check engine light to come on. I unplugged the EGR valve for now so I could regain the full turbo boost but I really need to address this problem.
Thanks again in advance!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts