2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

infamous bubbling paint TSB

Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Pilgrim
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infamous bubbling paint TSB

I also have the bubbling paint on the tailgate of my '08 Expedition.

I've seen a TSB for paint problems mentioned several times but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a copy of the TSB that would apply to a 2008 model? I did find one but it only applies to 2007 and older.

Thanks in advance.
Pilgrim

Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think there is one for the 08 and newer. Same problem with 08 and newer though. Take it to the dealer and make them fix it.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 AM
TCAS007
Senior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
I don't think there is one for the 08 and newer. Same problem with 08 and newer though. Take it to the dealer and make them fix it.
And how can youz fix that yourself? Just repaint?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Yes. The entire panel needs to be painted correctly. More importantly, prepped correctly-making sure you follow whatever guidlines there are for aluminum panels.

If you want to fix it your self, you could just scrape off the bubble, sand the primer a bit, reprime, and touch up paint. There are also detail shops and places that touch up bumpers who use small airbrushes. Might be worth seeing about this-note this might be a temp. fix, as more bubbles might appear in other places. I would fight the dealer on this.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 AM
TCAS007
Senior User
Yes. The entire panel needs to be painted correctly. More importantly, prepped correctly-making sure you follow whatever guidlines there are for aluminum panels.

If you want to fix it your self, you could just scrape off the bubble, sand the primer a bit, reprime, and touch up paint. There are also detail shops and places that touch up bumpers who use small airbrushes. Might be worth seeing about this-note this might be a temp. fix, as more bubbles might appear in other places. I would fight the dealer on this.
I bought it at a Ford dealership and they didn't want to fix the paint issues. Although they're not bad yet, should I talk to the dealer again?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TCAS007
I bought it at a Ford dealership and they didn't want to fix the paint issues. Although they're not bad yet, should I talk to the dealer again?
Is it under any kind of warranty?

How long ago did you buy it?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Boomer1956
Cross-Country
infamous bubbling paint

I believe if you are past 36K you are SOL. Mine was at 32k and they painted complete rear door. Before you do anything take photos. My dealer put the wrong badge back on after painting. They put Expedition.
Should have been Expedition EL Limited,,,, PITA to get them to realize they screwed up, but photos would have been easier to prove to them

Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
scottmeiners
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if anyone has ever thought of filing a class action lawsuit over the paint bubble issue. I have seen so many expeditions in my area that appear to be similar years (mine is an 09) with the tailgate a mess just like mine is starting to become. I wonder what the percentage is of the number of exp's with this problem.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 PM
2005X
Senior User
What is the proper "prep" and how to sep the crhome piece from tailgate?

I have 2010 EB model - just recently purchased form private party and the bubble on mine is pretty small still, less than pencil eraser, did not even notice it until after I purchaset it..Grrr. Also did not know until doing more research that the tailgate was alum, figured when I saw the bubbled paint it was "rust" on the steel.

Now that Iknow it's alum I feel like I know what the cause is, but someone feel free to let me know if I'm off here... I come from a long background in the boating industry - including service dept at a Mercruiser dealer and see this kind of corrosion a lot on Merc Stern Drives, esp the Bravo 3 - the paint bubbles from underneath due to corrosion on the alum alloy metal, always explained by "experts" as galvonic corrosion from dissimilar metals being next to each other. You have the alum / alloy case and large steel (stainless steel) props and shafts, etc... And I'm fairly certain that is what's going on here... The tailgate is alum, and the corrosion is at the drivers side of the chrome (chrome plated steel) piece that tops the license plate. It looks like when the pieces are put together, the cheapy steel chrome piece must pierce the paint either from a rough edge or fasteners that hold attached and where it is cotacting the alum is where the corrosion is present - dissimaler metals touching, and being helped along by road salt, moisture, etc...

So, here's my question. I'm at 35K miles, still under warranty and have a local dealer that is willing to re-paint under warranty, along with few other small things before I go "out"... But they don't know of anyway to fix the real problem. At least not the guy I have spoken with so far. I'm trying to explain to them it's just a matter of time unless we do something to separate the alum tailgate from the chrome piece - or better yet find an aluminum piece to go over the tailgate lic plate instead of chrome over steel? If there is no alum equivalent, did Ford ever come out with a gasket to fit this license plate cover to go between it and the tailgate? Any ideas would be great as I plan on keeping this for a long time (we all say that, right?) and don't want to see the bubbles back in year or 2...
I would even consider not replacing the chrome piece, but you need something up there..

Thanks if there is any feedback or anyone that has already done it..
Geoff.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Geoff your theory is somewhat accurate about the dissimilar metals but in the case of the liftgate it's not the actual problem. When the pieces ( liftgate and hood ) were painted at the factory there was an issue with the prepping and minor iron contaminants were left on the surface and painted over. As time goes by these metal particals react with the aluminum panels and cause the corrosion and bubbling of the paint. I don't believe the chrome piece on the liftgate is metal I think it's just chromed plastic, which is why this problem still affects the hood and areas of the liftgate not touching anything else.

Matt

Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM
2005X
Senior User
Matt,
Interesting about the iron contamination, I guess I need to look my hood over pretty carefully before we make the visit for the re-paint. I have not seen anything on the hood when I waxe, but not sure I looked as close.

As for the liftgate, I still think the chrome piece is the root cause on mine. A magnet off my frig shows it has enough attraction that I think it is chromed steel, unless the chrome itself will cause the magnetic pull? Not an expert there, but the bubble has gotten bigger (outward) from it's orgin up under the edge of this chrome piece... Hard to see that as a coincidence and I would feel better about the re-paint if we did something to separate the cap from the tailgate - rubber material as a gasket. Or, if there is a plastic piece and they can paint it white, same color as the tailgate since they will be painting anyway?

Has anyone talked FMC into a new / replacement tailgate or is re-paint the only warranty option here? Just wondering, thanks again for any feedback...
Geoff.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Pilgrim
Mountain Pass
Seems to me a new tailgate would still need painting anyway.? Also, mine has bubbling in several places (as have others I've seen) so I think it's more than just the chrome trim causing the trouble, but....?
Pilgrim

Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
2005X
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Seems to me a new tailgate would still need painting anyway.? Also, mine has bubbling in several places (as have others I've seen) so I think it's more than just the chrome trim causing the trouble, but....?
Pilgrim

Yeah, a new piece would need painting, but at least it would be "free" of any corrosion to start with. I know that true "rust" on steel panels is very hard to keep from coming back in the same spots, but not as sure about alum corrosion.

All of this is making me miss the fiberglass / plastic doors on the back of my excursion.

Geoff

Last edited by 2005X; 03-17-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
david_jr
Senior User
I have got the bubbling on my hood (across the front just above the grill) and the lift gate below the chrome. The lift gate is worse with the paint cracking and peeling off. There is one spot on the hood where I can see metal through the bbbling. I have reported it to my dealer and have an appointment to have it looked at Monday. I have the ESP for corrosion. Will I have any trouble with the dealer. I am well under the miles on the ESP.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 AM
2005X
Senior User
David,
Not sure about the ESP since I don't have any ext warranty, but let us know once you get an answer. Or maybe someone else has been down this road before with Ford or a dealer?

I had mine done under the regular 3yr/36K mile warranty and the dealer I went to said that was the only corrosion protection that was available. So, I got mine in at 35,900 miles exactly. They repainted the hatch and most of the hood - there was bubble under the front lip I had not even seen until they looked it over. Also found several bubbles up under the lower edge of the hatch, have to put it up, then look up at the inside lower edge. It came out looking good, but I would not be surprised if it came back within 2 years, just don't have much confidence after seeing how wide-spread this issue is, but hope I'm wrong.
Best of luck, report back what you find if you don't mind.
Geoff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: infamous bubbling paint TSB