2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

infamous bubbling paint TSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by david_jr
I have got the bubbling on my hood (across the front just above the grill) and the lift gate below the chrome. The lift gate is worse with the paint cracking and peeling off. There is one spot on the hood where I can see metal through the bbbling. I have reported it to my dealer and have an appointment to have it looked at Monday. I have the ESP for corrosion. Will I have any trouble with the dealer. I am well under the miles on the ESP.
Hi david_jr,

Your dealership's service manager will be in the best position to answer questions about repairs that can be made under warranties or service plans. Make an appointment so they can perform an inspection and make some recommendations on next steps.

Crystal

Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 PM
david_jr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK they looked at my truck, took photos and submitted them to Ford. Basically they said Ford would deny the claim because the paint is bubbling and peeling both on the hood and the tail gate, but there is NO RUST, so it is NOT covered even under the the ESP that I paid dearly for. The next day they called me to confirm that Ford did in fact deny the claim. Then they mailed me the paperwork. Another satisfied customer here I guess. Just received an email to rate my service experience. Let me see?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:29 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by david_jr
OK they looked at my truck, took photos and submitted them to Ford. Basically they said Ford would deny the claim because the paint is bubbling and peeling both on the hood and the tail gate, but there is NO RUST, so it is NOT covered even under the the ESP that I paid dearly for. The next day they called me to confirm that Ford did in fact deny the claim. Then they mailed me the paperwork. Another satisfied customer here I guess. Just received an email to rate my service experience. Let me see?
Yep, the ol' Ford service. There is a know issue with Ford painting aluminum panels. The issue is paint adhesion due to poor prepping.

You can either appeal to your service manager asking for help, or paint it on your dime. Some managers understand the issue and will at least cut you a good break on the body work. Panels need to be completely stripped and re-painted.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Can you post some pics of the bubbling sections?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM
david_jr
Senior User
Thanks Berry. I will try to post some pics.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM
rjd75
Senior User
I had my hood and tailgate repainted just before the warranty expired. A few weeks later I noticed a chunk of paint flaked off my power running board. The dealer was sympathetic (not enough to fix it) but said I would have to call for service, after weeks of getting the run around and being ignored by some joker at customer service in Florida. I finally called and demanded to speak to him as he would not return any of my calls. What did he say? We are going to go with our original theory that this is caused by stone chips!! You can clearly see the paint is bubbling and peeling off. Stone chips??? And I had just had the hood and tailgate painted.. Unbelievable lack of customer service and no regard for taking responsibility for issues with their vehicles.

Name:  runningboard_zpsb31e1d4b.jpg
Views: 9043
Size:  17.6 KB

Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rjd75
I had my hood and tailgate repainted just before the warranty expired. A few weeks later I noticed a chunk of paint flaked off my power running board. The dealer was sympathetic (not enough to fix it) but said I would have to call for service, after weeks of getting the run around and being ignored by some joker named at customer service in Florida. I finally called and demanded to speak to him as he would not return any of my calls. What did he say? We are going to go with our original theory that this is caused by stone chips!! You can clearly see the paint is bubbling and peeling off. Stone chips???

100% defect. They did not prep this area correctly. It wouldn't cost much to have it painted correctly. I would plaster this all over Ford's Facebook site though. Let others know how they hand this.

It is not, again, 100% from a rock chip. It's an adhesion issue.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 PM
david_jr
Senior User