Finally have begun to get this engine running.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, double post

Last edited by Moto Mel; 12-18-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Sorry, double post
Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Looking good, a distributor, wires and starter would help a lot, I especially like the Rams Horn manifolds, they look great and must flow a lot better than the originals that looked like a copy of the Belond headers of the '50s. Hope you do a video of the start-up. I'm sure a bunch of us would like to share in your happiness.

Hmm. Did not know that the word w h or e was a no no.
I did not know that, it shouldn't be as it's used often in the Bible. When I was a kid we were taught that any word used in the Bible was okay for us kids to use. we used some of the words so much that they changed the rule on us. Today kids use the most foul language everywhere. Some things need to change.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
I have to wonder who is being protected from the sinful word? Like you said many if not most kids have a pretty foul vocabulary. And how many youth under the age of say 16 would be reading any of this? Maybe some of the women find the useage distasteful. It is probably the first time in over 30 years that I wrote a sentence that had it included.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 46yblock
I have to wonder who is being protected from the sinful word.
Please don't use such harsh language, I have a very sensitive spirit, and a gentle soul. ...LOL!

I'm a construction worker, and am used to it, though I refrain from it at home.I am often enough unsuccessful in the attempt, my wife can attest, but I try.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha, I have to cough up a dollar to my Grandson every time I say a bad word. I still slip sometimes (like when a wrench slips and my knuckles slam into... well I think we have all done it).

Old 12-19-2010, 11:13 AM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead
(like when a wrench slips and my knuckles slam into... well I think we have all done it).
I read "when a wench slips." It's amazing how the meaning is completely altered with the absence of one letter.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
I've been draggin my feet a lot on this engine startup. There were frequent visions of coolant flowing out the sides of the heads, between the steel gaskets and the non decked block .

So today was it. Got the last minor items setup, and began putting water and a sealant in the radiator. The first gallon hadnt been fully added when a gush of water was coming out the bottom of radiator. I closed the petcock

Added a little over three gallons, not quite full. Then hit the electric pump to fill the float bowl. Gas soon began boiling out the carb overflows of the carb rebuilt for me by a friend . Took the top off and soon pulled the float. Residual pressure in the gas line blew out the needle in a fountain of gas. Couldnt find needle. Put in new needle, seat and gasket, making sure the lost one wasnt in the carb. With things back together checked for water leaks and found some in the area of the stat. Fixed that. Primed carb again, hit starter and VROOM! The engine really sounded good. I need to go through the carb though, as it seemed to be the culprit producing idle surging.

No water leaks! Ran motor up to 170 degrees over about 25 minutes. Vacuum varied between 17 and 18 due to surge. Pressure 60 psi at around 700 or 750 rpm, using 5/30. Oil level in crankcase unchanged.

Water is still in engine. I'll check it for signs of leaking tomorrow and then drain. The motor and stand is draped with plastic, 2 heating lamps underneath will prevent freeze.

It was a good day!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Awesome Mike, good going. I've done the petcock trick... more than once, one time on the side of the block (how's that go again, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Thanks Y-blockhead. Everything went fine, no coolant leaks today. The 292 really BARKS!

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...k/stand001.jpg

Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Nice looking setup.

May I make a suggestion? Maybe think about fabing up a cover/shield for the battery. Back when I was in High School Auto Shop we were trying to start an engine on a test stand with the Battery like that and Damn if it didn't EXPLODE!!!

Of course we were just learning and were cranking the engine for awhile so I'm sure the battery got pretty hot. The Teacher about had the BIG ONE. Luckily no one was hurt. But now I have kind of a phobia around batteries out in the open...

And you won't believe what we were trying to start. Yep a Y-Block.

So let's hear that Bad Dog.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:43 PM
patmedic
Senior User
Congratulations on the startup and those Ram horns do make it look cool. And I thought the petcock trick was to help get all the air out of the system that's what I tell everyone.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
A battery cover would make me feel better too. The battery isnt trustworthy anyway, as it has a bulge in one end.

I havent ever taken a movie, but will give it a try maybe tomorrow.

And Patmedic, there is a petcock like needle valve at the front top of the intake. Opened it with a clear 1/4 in. ID tube attached and could see what the level of the coolant was in the rad. Also released some air. Still had the 1/8 in hole drilled in the top of the thermostat though.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
patmedic
Senior User
So that is kinda like the older VW Rabbits and Foxes worked great to bleed out all the air because the radiator filler cap was lower then the resiovor? And if I remember right the real older Nissans had a bleeder screw in the intake but now my brain hurts. I have a whole bunch of certs working on foriegn cars a long time ago. Mine does not have one does it ? I know my eyesight is not what it used to be but I dont see one.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
It appears that Mike tries to bleed the air from the bottom... Seriously I have a '89 Super Coupe (Blown T-Bird) that has a bleed at the top also.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
The bushing with needle valve is located where one of the heater hose fittings is usually, at the top front of the intake, close behind the thermostate housing. It definitely isnt required, but the result of over worry. Figured there might be less initial head gasket leaking if the tall '46 radiator was partially filled, reducing hydrostatic pressure. So the 1/4 in. line worked like a water level. The valve was closed before starting to keep water from squirting all over.

Out of curiosity I am going to try and adapt a pressure gauge to it with engine running, and see what the water pressure runs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally have begun to get this engine running.