Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Junior User

timmygyu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ball Joint won't take grease

Hi all,

I'm having an issue greasing a ball joint in my bronco--it's a '90, 351, eddie bauer, if that helps. The BJ in question is on the front, passengers side. Before I attempted greasing I jacked up the vehicle, as I read that it helps to take the weight off the BJ.

At first the grease was coming out at the zerk. Upon closer inspection, I could see that the zerk fitting was crossthreaded. I removed the fitting, and tried to pump grease through it. Worked fine. I then managed to rethread it correctly, so that the grease doesn't spew out. In fact, now I can't pump in any at all. I read that the zerk can be screwed in too far, so I tried backing it off a good bit. Same thing: no grease in, and no grease out. I found a cutaway of how a ball joint is built, and after looking at it, I'm wondering if it's possible for the joint to rust up and block the grease from going into the cup. Here's the picture, for reference(click it to see full-sized version):

Anyway, as I know WD-40 and ducktape can fix just about anything, I was thinking of squirting some of the former under the rubber cup to try and break up any interior rust that might be blocking the grease from going in. I'm out of ideas otherwise. Am I on the right track here, or am I headed for trouble?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Old 09-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Posting Guru

helirich is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most likly the hole where the grease nipple threads is clogged. I would remove it and stur a pick in it. Then wash with WD.
F diff - lockright locker, 4.88's
R diff - Powertrax locker, 4.88's
Cast diff cover w/ carrier braces
Rear full float axles, truss, Above spring traction bars
Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Elder User

American Thunder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What he said. And always wipe off the zerks carefully before greasing, too.

1978 Bronco - 12V Cummins power, pump mods, Dynamic Racing Transmissions C6 automatic, Billet 1200 rpm converter, Destroked adapter and billet flexplate, NP205 t-case, 9" lift, 35s, 3.50 gears, upgraded brakes and braided hoses, 4" exhaust - no muffler. GOT TORQUE?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Junior User

timmygyu is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've already tried a pick; didn't seem to be anything obstructing it. Also cleaned the fitting. So WD won't hurt anything? I guess that's my next step.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Posting Guru

b4hntn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.b4hntn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On mine I have to turn the front of the tire outward and stick my head inside the fender to see well enough to get the grease gun on straight to grease the upper BJ.

FTE is great! Be a supporter to keep this forum going. 94 5.8 EB, towing package, K & N drop in, MSD Blaster, 9 mm Ford Racing Wires, mechanical oil and temp guages and the rest all stock.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 PM