Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 PM
New User

daculpepp is starting off with a positive reputation.
F250 4x4 Hub Vacuum Leak

I've been troubleshooting my ESOF vacuum-operated hub engagement. I get the proper vacuum levels at the hubs with the vacuum hoses plugged at the hub, but with either hub connected to its vacuum line the vacuum is low. I think that indicates a vacuum leak in both hubs.

I have been unable to find any good troubleshooting techniques for finding hub leaks. The o-ring on the hub-lock mechanism appears to be ok. I don't know what provides the seal around the axle. Anyone who can help?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Use a vacuum pump with a gauge, hook it to the nipple on the knuckle, and pump it up. If it holds vacuum, it's good, if not, well... you get the idea

On the auto hubs, there is a white long rectangular "filter" in the middle of the ****. Cover it with your hand while checking if the hub holds vacuum. If that filter is leaking the vacuum, chances are the diaphragm in the locking hub is ruptured. If it still doesn't hold vacuum, it's most likely the knuckle seal.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
The only diagnostic I am aware of for testing the actual hub seals is to use a hand vacuum pump attached to the hub itself to see if it will pump down and hold a vacuum. If it won't, one or more of the hub seals are bad.

Guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Lube page is also a good reference on what it takes to tear down the hub to get to the rear vacuum seals.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Edit: And what he said ^^^^^^ (while I was typing)

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
David, we usually step all over each other on the ESOF topics, don't we?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
I suppose the odd part is that the only ESOF problem I've ever actually dealt with in person was a bad shift motor relay. I just read a lot and use the service manuals and put it together.

I'd rather see a dozen helpful but redundant responses to someone than one post leading them in the wrong direction.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 09-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamberlain View Post
I suppose the odd part is that the only ESOF problem I've ever actually dealt with in person was a bad shift motor relay. I just read a lot and use the service manuals and put it together.

I'd rather see a dozen helpful but redundant responses to someone than one post leading them in the wrong direction.
I had one problem with it myself, and it had to do with the latching mechanism failing. But having read the entire diagnostic procedure, and gone through it all with a pump and gauge, I'm the same way as you. Willing to help out because I understand the system.

Haven't had ANY problems with the transfer case in 8 years, just the hubs at 1.5 years after purchase, and decided to put on Warns. And use Termalene grease on the needle bearings (one was rusty when the hub itself went south). No problems since.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
New User

daculpepp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Very helpful. I'm glad I found this Forum.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 PM
New User

flinty72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been having trouble with mine lately I can her it wanting to go in but won't any ideas on what this could I did think it was a vacuum leak
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 PM