1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Please help! No oil, added 5qts., and still not a drop on the dip-stick!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
malodin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right on you had us worried

Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ShastaLakeLndscaping
100% correct. I failed to inspect the tube close enough, it is rotted by the manifold and the stick was not going in all the way. So I went to the dealer and bought the part, it was $20. The oil is now at the correct level after removing the 6 extra qts. I just went ahead and changed all the oil and filter. Thanks for everyone's help!!
Good deal...you really had me confused too, wondering if you had an oil-drinking tapeworm living inside your motor or something

This is the only explanation that makes sense--I was gonna accuse you of leading us on with a line of BS...hope you're recycling the old oil...I'd probably save it for my lawnmower or give it to a friend with a junk car.

Good luck,
George

Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
It amazes me that the oil pan could hold 12qt with out spilling on the ground via the hole in the dipstick tube.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
ShastaLakeLndscaping
New User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Good deal...you really had me confused too, wondering if you had an oil-drinking tapeworm living inside your motor or something

This is the only explanation that makes sense--I was gonna accuse you of leading us on with a line of BS...hope you're recycling the old oil...I'd probably save it for my lawnmower or give it to a friend with a junk car.

Good luck,
George
My first presumption was the tape worm. I would never put used oil in my mowers I rely on them to make a living. The last zero-turn I bought was $6000, the truck was $1500, if anything it'd be vise versa

Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD
It amazes me that the oil pan could hold 12qt with out spilling on the ground via the hole in the dipstick tube.
...after my last post, I was thinking the same thing.

What is most remarkable is that the engine was not damaged

If anyone had any doubts as to the durability of the 4.2....you can put your mind at ease

Old 09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My first presumption was the tape worm. I would never put used oil in my mowers I rely on them to make a living. The last zero-turn I bought was $6000, the truck was $1500, if anything it'd be vise versa
I wasn't thinking about *your* kind of lawnmower. The one I've got, I found down the block by the curb on trash day--looks like one of the neighbors decided to get a lawn service. I cleaned out the gas tank, sharpened the blade, and it's been great for 2 years. Actually, I have some nice Valvoline Synpower in it because I had half a quart in the garage...didn't even change the spark plug yet.

I'm glad you got your truck sorted out; you really had me scratching my head.

George

Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 PM
ShastaLakeLndscaping
New User
Originally Posted by ottawaguy
...after my last post, I was thinking the same thing.

What is most remarkable is that the engine was not damaged

If anyone had any doubts as to the durability of the 4.2....you can put your mind at ease

It probably didn't leak because the hole is up on the tube by the manifold. Damage was avoided because the engine was only ran for about 3 minutes with too much oil.

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I wasn't thinking about *your* kind of lawnmower. The one I've got, I found down the block by the curb on trash day--looks like one of the neighbors decided to get a lawn service. I cleaned out the gas tank, sharpened the blade, and it's been great for 2 years. Actually, I have some nice Valvoline Synpower in it because I had half a quart in the garage...didn't even change the spark plug yet.

I'm glad you got your truck sorted out; you really had me scratching my head.

George
Thats good to hear, didn't want you ruining an investment. Yeah I'm glad too,glad it wasn't major.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:05 PM
Lramgon
New User
I have the same problem. .

Originally Posted by MikeB 88
I wonder if you have the right dip stick for your engine.
I changed the oil, added 6 quarts, and no sign of oil in the dipstick. The oil gauge shows normal pressure and the warning light goes off when I start the engine. I bought a dipstick for the same engine (4.6L) in a junkyard, and still the same problem. There's no sign of oil leak or burning.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:57 PM
Lramgon
New User
Problem solved!

Originally Posted by Lramgon
I changed the oil, added 6 quarts, and no sign of oil in the dipstick. The oil gauge shows normal pressure and the warning light goes off when I start the engine. I bought a dipstick for the same engine (4.6L) in a junkyard, and still the same problem. There's no sign of oil leak or burning.
I drove a piece of wire thru the dipstick tube, and it seems that it was clogged and, as the dipstick is madera of wire, it seems that it was bending and not going all the way rhru. Probably it was clogged with silicone or some type of gasket material if the pan was taken out and replaced.

Old 11-26-2020, 12:39 PM
Larryjr03
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
No Oil

Hello everyone! About a month ago I bought a 2000 f-150, 4.2l v6, 185,000miles, automatic, reg. cab, short box. When I was looking it over I checked the oil, it was a little low but black and surely used, so I assumed it didn't have a leak or use too much. The day after I got it I changed the oil using gastrol 5w-30 and a fram oil filter, the oil level was fine, I checked it again the day after and it was also fine. Today, after being driven 1,000 miles I decided to check it, and there was not a drop on the stick!! So I added 5qts. checked it and still nothing, added 1qt. drove around the block, and when I got home there's still not a single drop of oil on the dip stick, how can it be completely blank after adding 6qts.?! I park it in the same spot everynight, and theres no oil where I park. Theres no visible leak around the filter or drain plug. The anti-freeze and transmission levels were both fine and continue to be. The dip stick tube is into the engine block as far as it should be, and the dipstick goes down good, so I dont think the measuring method is mis-construed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I' m going with Mikeb88 on this one, I think someone put the wro g dipstick in that motor. My recommendation, get it fixed like yesterday !!!!! How much could a new dipstick cost anyway .......