6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Video of whining noise on cold start

Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
jayman2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ198
The reason I asked about the beginnings of the noise is that when I start up cold in the morning (40F), there is high pitched intermittent sound from the engine compartment. It isn't terribly loud, but loud enough for you to say "that's different". It just started doing it last week. Like I said, mine is intermittent. I was going to make a vid from my phone but the engine noise overwhelms the sound. It goes away the rest of the day. Please keep us posted.
I heard the same this morning. Temp was around 45 degrees . It was alot more noticeable with the intake i have on my truck , now i don't believe that there is anything wrong with this noise . My 6.0 made the same siren noise in cold mornings upon start up with the same intake. It stopped after the truck was running for a few minutes .Its nothing like the vibration sound coming from the vid though.

I really believe the way the turbo is designed being a VGT and with all the emissions crap on this truck you get that high pitch sound from the vanes adjusting from opening and closing.

To the original poster with the vid of the noise , to me i believe its defiantly turbo related , its not beyond the possibility that you may have a defective part or pieces in the turbo . It happened to me having a bad alternator.

I really hope they get it figured out , it really seems that with this motor being new , nobody knows where to start when things start making noises.

I just hope you don't have to experiance the same issue i had with a field tech telling them that the noise was normal and that yours just happens to be louder and not to worry about it.

Good luck , and keep us updated.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
2011pstroke
Freshman User
Yeah, mine gets really loud on the way up with RPM's at around 1200-1300 RPM then stops. On the way back down with the RPM's it again gets really loud at 1200-1300 RPM then has a quiet whine at idle. This continues till the motor warms up. Sounds identical to the video posted.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
2011pstroke, I'm hoping to stop by when the Ford guy is there to talk with him about it. If I get the chance I'll mention that your truck does the same thing.

Very eager to hear what this could be...

Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 AM
2011pstroke
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
2011pstroke, I'm hoping to stop by when the Ford guy is there to talk with him about it. If I get the chance I'll mention that your truck does the same thing.

Very eager to hear what this could be...

Thanks, if he would like to contact me I will e-mail you my contact info. I don't think you can PM on this forum.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Quite interesting Tom, being a test mule for Ford.....

Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
As is my luck, the Ford engineer showed up on a day with record highs for this month. He told me that what he heard sounded like a message (TSB?) that Ford has out on the 6.7L engine:

Originally Posted by OASIS
Some customers with 2011 6.7L diesel equipped F-super duty vehicles may notice a characteristic turbo spool-down(hoot) noise on engine throttle tip-out when engine oil temperature (EOT) is below 150F (65C) and/or an oscillating turbo whine, at idle, with EOT below 50F (10C). 6.7L diesel engines include improvements designed to reduce overall inherent diesel engine noise. Sound reduction improements enable certain characteristic noises to be more easily heard. Using incorrect engine oils for the vehicles operating conditions can negatively impact the level of noise experienced. Refer to the vehicles owner/maintenance guides for proper engine oil usage information. Customers should be informed that these conditions do not affect engine durability and should be considered characteristic and no repairs are necessary.
I couldn't make it to the dealer before the Ford engineer had to leave, but I showed him the video I took of the problem posted above as well as another one I made a couple days later with my wife working the throttle:

YouTube - 2011 6.7L Powerstroke whining noise

The service manager informed me that the truck didn't make a noise like that this morning for the Ford engineer, and he asked me to email him a link of the video so he can forward it to Randy, the Ford service engineer. I'm sending him the link tonight, we'll see what comes of it.

I don't think it's right that a brand new pickup truck makes a noise like this, but if it's considered "normal" and won't cause my truck to break I'm okay with it. I will continue to monitor. Maybe if nothing happens I can take it back to the dealer in January. With sub-zero cold starts I bet it'll be screaming then...

Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Sounds like a wood planer or jointer.....

Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 PM
kane gray
Senior User
It sounds terrible IMO, and I wouldn't accept "it's normal" for an answer. It sounds to me like it could also be in the transmission. Perhaps a bearing going bad. Not normal, at least that's my opinion.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The only "hooting" here is how funny that comment is they told you.

That is not normal and it's annoying simply watching the video. My truck does not make that noise when the turbo spools down. I can hear my turbo spool down but it's the normal noise a turbo makes; only much quieter than the 6.4L. In fact, I've notice after about 30 seconds of idle, it sounds like the turbo finishes spooling down after I stop but I don't know what that is yet.

Don't live with it. Ford has impressed me with their repair responses on these trucks but you might want to keep a few firecrakers ready so they don't get sidetracked.

Yea, it's back up in the 90's after lows in the 30's last week around here.
Was up in Ohio most of the week and the weather was great.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
this is an odd one that I have not seen yet. almost sounds like an exhaust leak. guys please post up what the findings are.
just gonna toss this out there Ford has had very few issues with this engine so far

Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cheezit
this is an odd one that I have not seen yet. almost sounds like an exhaust leak. guys please post up what the findings are.
just gonna toss this out there Ford has had very few issues with this engine so far
Here's what the tech's comments on the invoice were:

Originally Posted by invoice
2497 TEST VERIFIED COMPARED WITH FSE FOUND NORMAL let cold soak over night na dretest found noise after cold start and if throttling up can hear noise on return to idle check for tst, ssms found none check and found no history pinpoint noise to front doc cat. contact hot line and was advised to check all clamps and heat shields for contacting to cat and found no contact found clamps tight recontacted hot line and was advise to FSE tested with fse and compared to other truck s and found noise to be normal
I apologize for the lousy grammer, but this is exactly what's on the invoice. I didn't want to "correct" something and end up skewing some industry lingo that I might not be aware of.

It appears that it's coming from the DOC? I'm thinking the turbo is resonating through the DOC...

Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
something does not sound right to me. I would call the service manager and ask when the FSE will be back in the store and request a few min of his time. They will almost always talk to you. You may want to ask to see another truck do the same thing. IF they can show you 3 trucks and atleat one other new truck des it then hey it is what it is.
Be advised the dealer will not give you his name or phone number.

you may want to ask rickatic if his truck does this. Im thinking not as he didnt call me about it.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Putting seriousness aside for about three seconds, I'm rooting for cheezit to figure this out remotely.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:01 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

This is painful to listen to...that is for sure. Hope it gets resolved quickly...

Good luck!

biz

Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
2011pstroke
Freshman User
Dropped mine off at the shop yesterday morning. Told them to let it sit overnight to get good and cold then start it. Its about 55 this morning so hopefully that's cold enough for them to here the howl. I'll keep the thread posted on what that say.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video of whining noise on cold start