Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 AM
New User

2001-ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exhaust fumes in the radiator.

I have a 2001 ford ranger 3.0, 6 cylinder. Before I tore it apart, I saw a small amount of steam coming out of the engine for about an hour and then it just stopped.I thought it had a blown head gasket, but when I took the head off, the gasket looked like it was fine. Is it possible that the head warped and caused the water to enter the cylinder.
I am trying to fix it myself, although I am not much of a mechanic. Is there any advice anyone can give me so I don't miss any important steps when I go to put it back together? If you replace the gaskets on one head do you have to do the other?
Any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
How did you decide which head to pull?

If you have exhaust in the coolant, it only gets there via a bad head gasket or a crack in the head.

Check the head for cracks and for warpage.

This is pretty weak, but you get the idea. Use a straightedge, and see if you can get a feeler gauge under it, .003 is the limit.

YouTube - how to check cylinder head warp

An actual 3.0 story:

3.0L V6 OHV Overheat; Blown head or intake gasket? - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

If you find nothing, I would suggest pulling the other head and inspecting it as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Postmaster

KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.
I would pull both heads, have them both checked for cracks (you may have to have a pro do it some cracks are difficult to see), then if that checks out, have the heads resurfaced.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
New User

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Freshman User

pebeme is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 99' with 305,500 miles and just the other day the water temperature elbow started shooting fluid out after a 50 mile trip, mind you I changed this same fitting a year ago (dealer only item for $31)(go to your Mazda dealer for parts they are cheaper $24 then Ford $31) when I changed the water pump and thermostat.

After a flush and all that goes with it all was good for a day then I started smelling exhaust in the radiator (changed it out 1.8 years before this) then it started to sputter at idle and then it started running VERY HOT. I left it at a friends place and it seems that the heads or the gaskets have taken a dive.

I'm done I was in a airplane crash back in 1992 and I cannot work on vehicles anymore although I keep telling myself I can I pay for it dearly after I'm done for days or weeks.

I did notice that the overflow bottle needed constant refill and would boil fluid like mad after some drives especially when I turn on the AC.

Will be posting her in the wants ad here today, she's very clean with lots of new stuff and a stereo system that will rock your sock BUT 305,500 miles she is a good Mazda/Ford truck just needs a new caretaker.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Elder User

Flexfuel-Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Would a compression test help here?

If you have a cracked head near an exhaust valve or a gasket leak, wouldn't the compression be low on that cylinder?

Keep us posted.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM
New User

I had the passenger side head checked and it was not cracked, just warped. They resurfaced it and it is ready to be put back in. I am having trouble figuring out which bolts ( besides the head bolts ) I need to take out to remove the head. I took out 3 so far from the bracket holding the air conditioning pump, and power steering pump. Are those the only ones I need to remove?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
2002, 2010, bronco, check, cracks, escape, exhasut, exhaust, f150, ford, fumes, head, ii, radiator, truck, warp