6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

coolant filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
coolant filter

anyone here running one? I had one on my 6.0, not sure if they are needed on the 6.4?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
No one is running one on the 6.4. I see no reason for it.
You need to follow the severe maint. schedule anyway.

You also need to be checking your coolant for nitrates every 20K so don't think it is necessary.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
No one is running one on the 6.4. I see no reason for it.
You need to follow the severe maint. schedule anyway.

You also need to be checking your coolant for nitrates every 20K so don't think it is necessary.
No one? Really. And you know this exactly how...?

I won't assume that the OP was using the Dieselsite coolant filter system http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=799 on their old 6.0 or looking to use it on their 6.4 but I wasn't aware of anyone else that had a kit put together. I wouldn't say that no one else is selling a kit though...

I also don't understand the comment that they don't need it. If the OP found it useful in their 6.0 then they're likely anticipating a similar benefit in their new 6.4. Is there anything markedly different between the two motors that would negate the benefits in the newer motor? Not sure that there is, and I'm fairly certain there's been more than one water pump failure on a 6.4. Would this system have prevented those failure(s)? Conjecture...but also a relatively cheap form of insurance @ $119.

This thread caught my attention because in the process of planning the build for the brand new/leftover '10 F250 CC/SB 6.4 I'm picking up later this week. Dieselsite's coolant and tranny filtration systems are on the list along with an OilGuard remote oil bypass filtration system. This one is hopefully a keeper. Based on the feedback I was getting from Blackstone Lab when I had my 6.0, I'm fairly confident in my decision to do so, regardless if no one else is. I should frame my oil analysis report that says the my 6.0 was one of the best wearing ones they had ever seen...

YMMV of course.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
I will say that I think any preventative measure is gonna help, I made my own for my 6.0 but I copied the dieselsite system, I only saved about 25 bucks so I will purchase their system this time...and I think I will make my own decision on what I'm gonna put on my truck, the only one who would sway me otherwise would be a tech on these forums... I never had any problems with my 6.0 , I knew how to take care of it and the 6.4 seems to be a very similar motor, I have been around here for a long time and don't post a lot unless I see fit to, but I have a pretty good clue about what to do..... I'm just sayin....

Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by slowmans
I will say that I think any preventative measure is gonna help, I made my own for my 6.0 but I copied the dieselsite system, I only saved about 25 bucks so I will purchase their system this time...and I think I will make my own decision on what I'm gonna put on my truck, the only one who would sway me otherwise would be a tech on these forums... I never had any problems with my 6.0 , I knew how to take care of it and the 6.4 seems to be a very similar motor, I have been around here for a long time and don't post a lot unless I see fit to, but I have a pretty good clue about what to do..... I'm just sayin....
slowmans you just took the words right outta my mouth! We are definitely sympatico...for cryin' out loud the truck I'm buying is 'bout identical to yours, '10 Lariat (ultimate) CC/SB FX4 and platinum white!

My 6.0 was built to a stout and performing tow monster, and the mission was soundly accomplished. The personal experienced that I gained with that motor makes starting over again with a brand new 6.4 all the more easy and less intimidating, especially considering that the 6.0 was my first diesel.

Good luck with your ride!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Not a problem, I can see where you might benefit from it. Let me know how it works out.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM
stevestroke01
Senior User
Originally Posted by slowmans
anyone here running one? I had one on my 6.0, not sure if they are needed on the 6.4?

I am running one on my 2008 6.4 and I also ran one on my 6.0. I think they are needed due to the silicate drop out of the gold coolant. There was a thread with pictures on another forum about a guy who was changing his water pump and you should have seen how chewed up the front cover was. I know on the 6.0 guys were running the coolant filter to help prolong the life of the oil and egr cooler from what they thought was casting sand but some now think it is silicate drop out from the gold coolant. I think I am going to a extended life coolant like that from Cat or International that is made for a diesel engine. The new 6.7 Ford Diesel has a red colored coolant and the ELC coolant is red colored. I wonder why Ford changed coolant if the "premium Gold" was so good? I would run a coolant filter if it was my truck.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by stevestroke01
I am running one on my 2008 6.4 and I also ran one on my 6.0. I think they are needed due to the silicate drop out of the gold coolant. There was a thread with pictures on another forum about a guy who was changing his water pump and you should have seen how chewed up the front cover was. I know on the 6.0 guys were running the coolant filter to help prolong the life of the oil and egr cooler from what they thought was casting sand but some now think it is silicate drop out from the gold coolant. I think I am going to a extended life coolant like that from Cat or International that is made for a diesel engine. The new 6.7 Ford Diesel has a red colored coolant and the ELC coolant is red colored. I wonder why Ford changed coolant if the "premium Gold" was so good? I would run a coolant filter if it was my truck.
I hear ya buddy!!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Just orded the dieselsite system , I will post pics of the install when I do it!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 PM
parcours
Senior User
I have one on my 6.4..

Installed it the first week I got it. I had one on 6.0 and the first two filters on the 6.0 were pretty bad.

The 6.4 didn't get the filters as clogged... I'm on my third filter.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by parcours
I have one on my 6.4..

Installed it the first week I got it. I had one on 6.0 and the first two filters on the 6.0 were pretty bad.

The 6.4 didn't get the filters as clogged... I'm on my third filter.
Good info, please fill in some blanks for us if you could though...

Did you buy the truck new? What's your mileage at now? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
parcours
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
Good info, please fill in some blanks for us if you could though...

Did you buy the truck new? What's your mileage at now? Thanks!
My current mileage is 24000, bought the truck new. When I say the filter didn't get as clogged as the 6.0, I mean that when I replaced the filter at 3000 miles, 12000 miles, I opened the filters to see the media. The media had very little debris. If I were to compare it to my 6.0, the 6.0 had 5-10X the sand and debris my 6.4 had on the two filters.

Maybe I'm just lucky

Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
For what its worth International retrofitted coolant filters on all their VT365s(6.0s) built prior to January 2006, at that point they say they corrected the problem which was some kind of coolant reaction with the block heater.
None of their V8s built after that date have or according to them need coolant filters.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:58 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Got it today, very well put together, I will say bob does a nice job with the kit. The instructions look pretty straight forward.....I wont have a chance to instal it until saturday, its been like seatle here in boston anyways........F-N rainin like a motha

pics to follow........

Old 10-09-2010, 12:59 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Did the install today, filter mounts under the passanger seat on the frame. hoses are then routed into the engine compartment, very easy install, took me about 45 minutes! well woth it in my opinion!! I will post pics in my gallery later...

Quick Reply: coolant filter