Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Freshman User

Nite Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.5 timing belt

I have 140,000 miles on my 99 2.5 engine. I have been thinking about that belt for some time. I asked a guy at the parts store how long they were good for and he said they last forever. So I've been putting it off.
After getting lucky with a 3.4 Chevy engine when the belt broke some years ago I really don't want to push my luck.
1st question is :
is the 2.5 an interference engine?

2nd any special tools required to replace the belt?

'99 Ranger XLT, reg cab, 2wd, 2.5, AOD, 4.10, 140,000 miles
I'll be here all week
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Junior User

Bidwell is starting off with a positive reputation.
I understand my 2000 2.5 is not an interference motor. That's why I'm in no hurry to change mine with 159,000 miles.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Posting Guru

michigan66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Your engine is a noninterference one. The belt does not last forever. 60 to 100k miles is a good interval to replace it. Its great that yours has lasted as long as it has and its true that, if it breaks while you are on the road, no damage will be done to your engine. However, you may find yourself stuck in an awkward place or at a bad time, so give a thought to replacing it.

Previous vehicle: 1991 XLT, 2.3 SOHC (Lima), M5OD, 7.5 axle 3.45 gears. Donated to a charity.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Posting Guru

BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan66 View Post
Your engine is a noninterference one. The belt does not last forever. 60 to 100k miles is a good interval to replace it. Its great that yours has lasted as long as it has and its true that, if it breaks while you are on the road, no damage will be done to your engine. However, you may find yourself stuck in an awkward place or at a bad time, so give a thought to replacing it.
Agreed. If I recall correctly, my Haynes manual says to change the timing belt every 70K miles. No special tools were needed on my '94.

I also agree that being broke down when I don't have the spare time nor being close to home is a good thing. Get the parts and schedule some time to do it and get 'R dun!

This would also be a GREAT time to do a coolant flush, change any radiator hoses that are looking tired, if the water pump is original - change it now, and the thermostat and the serpentine belt. Check all the pulleys and the belt tensioner for any bad bearings, wobble or squeaking; any that seem questionable, change them.

Good Luck!
BarnieTrk
- 4WD '05 EB Excursion, 6.0L PSD, Co. truck
Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Freshman User

Nite Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah a parts store clerk told me why change it, they last forever.
I bought the truck with 60,000 miles on it and has been relatively trouble free. It has already had plugs n wires, egr valve. Occasionally run a can of seafoam through it. Still has the original O2 sensor by the way.
The only problem I have with it is a somewhat intermittent miss while running 40 mph or so. Seems to buck a bit but otherwise runs real good below and above that speed. No check engine light.
Doesn't get great fuel mileage but with the 4.10 gear I don't expect it to.

'99 Ranger XLT, reg cab, 2wd, 2.5, AOD, 4.10, 140,000 miles
I'll be here all week
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Posting Guru

BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So what are ya going to do?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1997, 25, 73, 99, belt, broken, ford, instructions, motorcraft, number, pricing, ranger, replacement, timing, truck