5.4 headgasket oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 10:37 AM
mtcwby13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 5.4 headgasket oil leak

Hi! I just puchased a 99 F-250 LD 4x4 with the 5.4L. The pickup only has 32,000 miles and is like new. When I bought the thing, I crawled all over it and couldn't find anything wrong. 2 days after I bought it, I drove it home and crawled under it in our shop to really look things over. I noticed a oil leak near the starter and decided to investigate things further. With a closer look, I discovered that the oil was leaking from the rear of the head on the passenger side. It looks like its coming from the head gasket. I've heard that this can be a problem on these engines. What should I do? Is this a recall? What is required to fix it? Just a new head gasket or a head? I did purchase an extended warranty with the pickup just in case. I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Ben from Montana

Old 03-05-2003, 08:55 PM
jk349
New User
5.4 headgasket oil leak

Before you panic make sure this isn't oil from where the oil filler is or the pcv located on the pass. side valve/cam cover. On my '98 Expededition w/5.4 the engine is tipped back so any spilled oil runs back off the valve cover.
Hope that's it.
JK

Old 03-08-2003, 11:20 AM
cynicalsteve
New User
5.4 headgasket oil leak

Hey, I just posted to get info on my 4.6. I think they are very similar motors. Under www.alldata.com, I found recalls for mine, check for yours. Mine has a bad head gasket, burning AF, but I also noticed a year ago that I have oil leaking around the cover on the passenger side rear plug. I'm hoping that I have a valid recall and get both of these problems resolved without cost, it's listed as a recall campaign and I'm not sure if that's a recall or an effort to get one started. Hope that helps.

Old 03-20-2003, 01:25 PM
BRONC72
New User
5.4 headgasket oil leak

i have 99 f-150 4x4 with 5.4

i noticed a leak around 30,000 miles . .took it in .. and they said that is was the seal around the pcv valve. they replaced it . and i was on my way.. they know what they are talking about right. ? ya right. well. about 100,000 miles later . after puting up with the leak all this time . i got the new head gasket . well. actualy i had them jsut put about every seal on the engine. that they could get too. no more leak .. runs better than it ever has. cost about 1500 to haev it dont . but i used my personal vehicle for work . so they paid to have it done..

i jsut wish ford would realize theat there are die hard ford owners out there . and that they better take care of them . before they loose some good buisness. they need to fess up when there is a know problem .

thers my nickel.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:50 AM
stellenbrav
New User
Angry

I have a 2000 F150 5.4L. The right side head was replaced at 24000 mile under warranty due to oil leak. The diagnosis was defective head "problem solved". Now the truck has 49,000 miles and is out of warranty and again leaking oil from the right side head. The truck is again at the dealership who tell me it may cost thousands to fix. I contacted Ford about assistance and was bluntly told the vehicle was out of warranty and it was my tough luck. I know this is a very common problem that Ford will not step up and address. Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to help out? Any lawyers out there need a good class action lawsuit? I hate to say it but I've bought my last Ford!

Last edited by stellenbrav; 10-23-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Billjr
New User
Head Gasket Oil Leak

2003 F-250 5.4 115,000 Have been trying to track down a leak on the passenger side rear engine area for the past few months. Think it may be what everyone else is discribing as a head to block leak. You discription is identical to what I am finding

Was hoping it was the oil sending unit, but according to the repair manual that component is located by the engine mount

Is there a possibility that the head/s can be retightened or is this wishfull thinking

Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wishful thinking. I had one leak like that once. I slowed it down by adding some Lucas oil stabilizer to it, but it's not a permanent fix.....

Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
loudford
Senior User
I've got the same leak, just keeping an eye on it. I'm not losing much between oil changes but it's definitely there. At least it's keeping the starter from rusting.......

Old 01-01-2010, 02:57 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just did our 99 expy. This is atleast the third time it has been done with 130,000 miles on it. I used the Felpro multilayer steel headgasket. $40 for gasket, $36 for head bolts and $35 for intake gasket set. I only did the passenger side and reused the valve cover and front cover gaskets. I am cheap. I pulled the engine out, but I guess you can do it in the truck. I look at it if I have to stick $120 in it every three years thats not too big of a deal, it takes all weekend though

Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Billjr
New User
Oil Leak 5.4

For those of you who are still scratching your head regarding the 5.4 oil leak that soaks your starter and drips on the exhaust.

I pulled my intake this past weekend hoping it was not the head. Thought it may be from the Knock or Head Temp sensor, but neither is connected to a oil port.

Did find some oil skin on the left side that looked like the intake gasketing. Also found some oil in the base of the intake, but not enough to cause the problem. Took advantage of having the intake off for repairs and/or replacements.

What I did find is the right side (passenger) head had been replaced at some time by the original owner.

I guess at some point I will have to do the head.

For anyone like me who was going crazy trying to find photos of the 5.4 with the intake removed. I have some. I'm assuming your replies go to my personal e-mail.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
99F250Iowa
Freshman User
I'd like to see the pics. Can you post them here or send them to me in a personal message?

Old 04-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Billjr
New User
2003 F-250 5.4 Photos

Do not think the photos can be attached to this reply. I have the images on my work PC and would be more than happy to send them to you.

If you provide me a direct e-mail address, I will send the photos first thing Monday morning.

Unless you know of a way to attach to the forum replies.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 AM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put the photos somewhere online, like photobucket, and use the BBC [IMG] tags to post 'em up. From photobucket, you'll see links for sharing photos....

Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
zamunda
Senior User
Hi guys.
I have a 99 f150 with the 5.4. I haven't noticed any oil leaks on mine, even though I looked at the build date on the engine: winsdor 5/99, I believe it falls into the engines that were having the problem. From what I came up with piecing info from all sorts of sites is that windsor engines made from 98 to i think august of 99 could have the same problem. I was just wondering if anyone has any concrete info on these this problem. Was it every engine made during this time and it WILL at some point have the leak... or is it just a handful? Thanks for any info you have.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 PM
kevhenn54
Freshman User
2000 5.4 drivers side oil leak?

With the help of many on this site I changed both head gaskets in February 2010. Truck runs so much better and quieter. I did notice the other day when under the truck a area wet with a little oil, very little, no drip at all. Looking strait up at the drivers rear area of the engine where the head meets the blosk I saw a "damp" area, 2 or 3 inches by an inch, no drip. I can see part of the hg and the area is right near a bolt.

Someone told me this could just be from the hg itself. I am going to clean up and ride for 100 miles and check again. I am thinking worst case Should I remove valve cover and tighten head bolts?

I am open for any ideas.

Quick Reply: 5.4 headgasket oil leak