5.4 headgasket oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
FWIW I occasionally drive a '99 E250 with the same 5.4L motor. 139L miles always serviced properly etc---also has a small oil leak passenger side rear between head and block. My trusted independent shop tells me this is somewhat a regular thing with those motors. Their known solution is to recondition the head and reinstall with newer gaskets better formulated to this very condition.

Its odd it seems to develop most often on the right side---maybe a faulty casting?

Old 12-25-2010, 01:58 AM
viper5
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe Ford hasn't done anything to address this issue, It is a wide spread problem. I had a '99 Expedition that was leaking oil from the right head gasket and it started to get bad enough that it would smoke from the oil on the exhaust when I stoped. So I just bought a '03 Expedition and I looked under it real good on the lot before I bought it and it was dry but I guess the dealer cleaned it real good because guess what after 1 week it's all wet and does the same thing as my '99 did. I currently have 4 Fords ('92 F-250 7.3 Diesel, '99 F-250 SD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, '03 Excursion 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel, '03 Expedition 5.4) and I have allways liked Fords but to get 2 Expeditions in a row with the same oil leak is disgusting. I use the Expedition to answer calls in the Fire co. and it's kind of embarrising to show up at a fire secene with a much smoke coming from my right wheel well as the the fire I just responded to. I was looking at a Tahoe to replace the '99 Expedition but I went with the Ford and now I see what a big mistake that was. I should have driven it a little before I put all the emergency lighting & radio in it and I would have just gone in a different direction. Since I have read the the problem was caused by metal chips between the block & head making divets in the deck or head surface and it's a pain to find a different vehicle not to mention switching all the stuff around and getting it certified as a emergency vehicle again I guess I'm just going to change the engine instead of doing a head gasket job and having it leak again in a couple of thousand miles. I WILL KNOW BETTER NEXT TIME, when this vehicle gets replaced it will be with a Chevy and that's sad since I have been driving Fords since 1984

Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA

Its odd it seems to develop most often on the right side---maybe a faulty casting?
No, the heads are the same, both right and left-the cams are all that's different. The same thing happens on the left side, you just don't see it because it leaks right back into the oil pan behind the timing cover.
JL

Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
No, the heads are the same, both right and left-the cams are all that's different. The same thing happens on the left side, you just don't see it because it leaks right back into the oil pan behind the timing cover.
JL

Wow--learn something new about these motors almost daily here---thanks for sharing!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 AM
jeffmeyers
New User
I drive a 99 E250 with "the leak". Would the steal seal product work?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
viper5
New User
Originally Posted by jeffmeyers
I drive a 99 E250 with "the leak". Would the steal seal product work?
I have tried a couple of things and the only thing that slowed it down was lucas, I made the oil thicker so it slowed the leak. I changed the motor 2 months ago because I have heard that if you change the head gasket many times the leak comes back after a short time

Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by viper5
I have heard that if you change the head gasket many times the leak comes back after a short time
If done properly, it does NOT.
JL

Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
1999 F250 SD Oil Leak.

Ok I think I am one of the unlucky ones who got a 5.4 with the head gaskit oil leak. When I was looking the truck over before purchasing, I saw some oil leaking down where the engine meets the manual trans. I thought it was a rear main seal going out. I got my truck for a song so I took the risk and naught it. Next I took it to a repair shop so the techs could use some die to figure out where exactly the leak was originating. They discovered it was feom the rear of the head. Needed to pull the engine to fix it. The shop quoted me at $3,200 to start and then go up from there lol. The truck had over 200,000 miles on it so I resided to put a remanufactured engine in. Had a local well known motor exchange shop swap in a new motor for $3,800. I figured that would eliminate most of any kind of problems I would have for a while lol ( spark plugs). I think the remaned motor should not have any of those problems. I believe it is an ARE motor. Hope this helps people looking at used 5.4 s. The oil leak is almost impossible to see.
Now it is time to doo some front end work. Ball joints ect.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 AM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
The shop quoted me at $3,200 to start and then go up from there lol. The truck had over 200,000 miles on it so I resided to put a remanufactured engine in. Had a local well known motor exchange shop swap in a new motor for $3,800.
The dealership quoted me $1600 to fix the head gasket leak on the 4.6 I had. You should've shopped around.......

Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Yeah. I think on the 5.4, u have to pull the motor to replace the head gasket. Also think that shop did not want to tackle the job. After I got that quote, I started thinking about the idea of a new motor. The motor had 250 thousand miles on it. Got the truck for $3,000. I had the money for a new motor and liked the truck besides the motor. Lifted and everything lol. So now I have a new motor and love the truck the 5 speed has a little wear but its so solid. Really pleased with my decision!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
Yeah. I think on the 5.4, u have to pull the motor to replace the head gasket. Also think that shop did not want to tackle the job. After I got that quote, I started thinking about the idea of a new motor. The motor had 250 thousand miles on it. Got the truck for $3,000. I had the money for a new motor and liked the truck besides the motor. Lifted and everything lol. So now I have a new motor and love the truck the 5 speed has a little wear but its so solid. Really pleased with my decision!
The gasket can be replaced with the engine in the truck, no problem. The shop just didn't wanna do it.
JL

Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Smile

Yup, you are right. Sucks. You really can't trust anyone these days. Thanks for the info. I truly believed that you had to pull the motor to do this job. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 AM
jnt168
New User
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
If done properly, it does NOT.
JL
JL,can you tell me what needs to be done properly to stop the leak from recurring?
I have a Ford Expedition 1999 5.4 ,80k miles ,with oil leak,and dye test showed leak from head gasket.Dealer wants $3000.I want to take it elsewhere and want to have it done properly so less chance for leak to recur.Please advise.
Jnt

Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jnt168
JL,can you tell me what needs to be done properly to stop the leak from recurring?
I have a Ford Expedition 1999 5.4 ,80k miles ,with oil leak,and dye test showed leak from head gasket.Dealer wants $3000.I want to take it elsewhere and want to have it done properly so less chance for leak to recur.Please advise.
Jnt
Johnny sadly won't be replying----he was lost to an auto accident a while back. He was a valuable contributor here as well as other forums on Ford motors not to mention a husband, father and all around generous, helpful guy!

JNT reading back through this thread should give you a lot of valuable info how to address this somewhat common problem with V8 modular motors.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Raymond Osgood
Freshman User
did it look like the oil was running down the bell housing because i have am having a problem that sounds identical to what yours was and i am just curious what it turned out to be. thanks

Quick Reply: 5.4 headgasket oil leak