2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit: Aluminum vs. Steel

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 fowl
how well does it ride after adding 2.5 inches of lift? does it shift the axle at all like it does a f-250? should anything else need to be replaced when leveling it out. I am in the same boat and have narrowed my kit down to hellbent, autospring, or ready lift.
The F250 is a solid axle, while the F150 is IFS. So no, you won't get "axle shift" on the IFS.

The ride quality with the leveling kit is supposed to remain the same as stock, as all you're doing is making the entire strut assembly longer. One could argue that you have taken away some of the droop in the suspension, and changed the angles of the A-arms thus changing the ride characteristics. I'm not sure that this is noticeable in the "seat of the pants" though.

What most people probably don't consider is that their stock tires are P-metric and have a lower load rating than most of the larger tires they step up to with the leveling kit. The higher load range = stiffer side wall = less compliant ride on the road.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
2 fowl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could point MC. I am coming from a leveled f250 that i just cant handle the ride anymore. which is why i am hesitant with leveling the 150. anyway, sorry to go on a tangent, back to the OP.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
1bad67sbf
Posting Guru
you will have to get an alignment and my rides a little stiff but i think alot of that has to do with the bigger tires and the fact that they run 55lbs tire pressure. it will move your half shafts some but i have never seen anyone say they had a problems from it.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 AM
2 fowl
Junior User
so for example. Hellbent has a black steel 2.5 inch for $69 or billet aluminum for $79. Which is better and why is the billet more?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Steel is likely to hold up better over MANY years. It is less likely to oxidize and possible corrode like the Aluminum. The alum is more expensive, I imagine, because it is CNC'ed and thus requires a bit more time in manufacturing.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have barely even noticed a difference in ride since having my kit and new tires installed which has been about 3 months now. I do notice that I am sitting up higher but I like and wanted that feeling.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Drew I'm with you on the ride height piece. I too want a little extra height, plus I want a little more sidewall on the tires. I can't wait to wear out the crappy tires on the truck now so that I can put a 2" ReadyLift on her and some 275/65/20s (about a 34" tire)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 AM
2 fowl
Junior User
why is readylift so much more expensive? I had a steel kit on my f250 and it was about $70 bucks as well. I dont see any justice in a $200+ kit.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Larger company with more marketing etc. Go with HellBent if you want. Some guys here run them with good success.
I'm from the school where I prefer to have people install items for me (mostly so that I have someone to take it back to when/if things go wrong). The shop I'm going to work with recommends/installs/backs ReadyLift. Purchase, install and align for right about $600 (including good piece of mind). Might be expensive to others, but I'm ok with it.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Yeah I agree with Chandler on this one. When it comes to something having to do with suspension or other major aftermarket works that could serious get messed up in one way or another I want someone who is going to back it. I put Ready Lift on because I could not find good information from locals that I talked with about other kits. I turned away from Skyjackers based on a guy I talked to who was removing it after only 1 year because of problems. The other kits I just could not find someone in person and lay my hands on it so I ponied up the extra cash for the piece of mind. Although I got mine done for about $500 installed and alignment all at once but it was worth it because I took it back for minor adjustments and changes and they did all of them free of charge.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM
1bad67sbf
Posting Guru
this is something you can do easy but you cant finish without getting the alignment done so its just better to have a shop do it but it only calls for 1hr or so + alignment. i had all mine done with the hell bent steel kit and it cost me like $70 for the kit $75 for install and $50 for the alignment (so total like $200) they also threw my new wheels and tires on for me

Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
I'm with you on the ease of things, but remember that is a relative term. My driveway is all gravel, and I don't have a garage. I could use my folks house, but I'd rather not. I have the know how, but my tool collection is more driven towards wood working than automotive purposes.

I would LOVE to do this myself, but it's actually easier on me to pay someone to do it. Silly I know. Not to mention it is my primary vehicle so I need to be without it for less than one full day.

Damn I need a garage and a second (third for the fam) vehicle.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
2 fowl
Junior User
ya, davis i am with you. I have never installed anything on my trucks. I have always taken it somewhere. Only problem is I have two garages I can take my truck to. One does all lifts, installs, and alignments, but charges out the wahoo. The other has you buy the part and will install and align but will not back it. This is my everyday truck and I need it done right, but for me it comes to a point of whether i am really willing to over pay for something that shouldnt be too hard. I will more than likely go with ready lift and have it done by a garage that does them alot.

PS- i have a two car garage that was MY request when we built our house, but right now it is full of decoys and duck boats. Haha, so my automobile work area is full. Im not sure I could ever have enough garage space. I would always find something to fill it with.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 2 fowl
PS- i have a two car garage that was MY request when we built our house, but right now it is full of decoys and duck boats. Haha, so my automobile work area is full. Im not sure I could ever have enough garage space. I would always find something to fill it with.
I don't see this as a bad thing.
If I had a garage it would likely have an ATV/Side-by-side in it, with my camo and a slurry of other items.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
I checked around with a few places and ended up with the place that did it everyday because they were only like $75 higher then the places that didn't do it on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit: Aluminum vs. Steel