6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

U0105 Rearing it's ugly head

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U0105 Rearing it's ugly head

Just recently did some work to the ol' girl due to engine stalling and lack of power.

Pulled the codes and could've written a book about them...everything from Inj. 7 contribution, Insufficient EGR Flow, glowplugs, and camshaft sensor. Guy at the shop (not a Ford Stealership) recommends getting rid of egr cooler, inwhich was an upgrade I was wanting to perform anyways. Stripped down the engine (and cleaned thoroughly)and did the work myself. Got everything back together this weekend and fired her up. I re-installed my Edge Programmer to use strictly as a monitor and to pull DTC's. All the issues went away but now I have 2 new codes. P132B - Turbo Boost Control Performance and U0105 - Loss of Comm to FICM. I'm not worried yet about the boost control as I don't believe the truck has run long enough for the Turbo to perform it's learn cycle. The U0105 is the one that has me scratching my head at the moment. Hit up the tech files and did an advanced search through threads and found ways to check and repair your FICM. I'm one of the lucky ones with a 7 pin and I'm even luckier that it's reading around 48 VDC. I've checked the plugs to ensure that they are snug and the wires haven't come out of their pins. Also checked the FICM itself on its connector to make sure that any of the pins hadn't bent over when I plugged it back in after the egr delete/oil cooler upgrade. Everything seems to be happy go lucky, however truck will start and idle for about 5-10 min and shut down abruptly with the U0105 code. I haven't taken it out of the driveway yet as I don't intend on getting stranded. If I wanted to go for a walk, I'd go to a park.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 AM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Have you checked the plugs on the PCM,I have U0105 check CAN2H/CAN2L circuits,PCM or FICM issue

Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Originally Posted by brickie
Have you checked the plugs on the PCM,I have U0105 check CAN2H/CAN2L circuits,PCM or FICM issue
Plugs were tight...just took the programmer out of the equation. Truck is currently idling (need to get the batts. charged from the post op (oil cooler) starting. The programmer has been out of the truck for about a year and was re-programmed and updated by Edge last summer under warranty...just been gunshy about putting it in so it's been in the garage. Just want to use it for temp monitoring and DTC's.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
UPDATE - Programmer not the problem. After posting, went outside and truck was dead. Tried starting and just turned over. Cycled the key a couple of times to let the fuel pump prime the engine, about a 5 sec. cycle that's audible when the door is open. A couple of times I noticed a "stutter" in the cycle, then the truck fired up...and then died...would like to think the fuel pump is the culprit but usually when they fail it's all or nothing, not an intermittent problem. Changed filters while doing the minor overhaul so I know they aren't fouled. Is there a means to "bleed" the system should there be air in the lines...preferrably a place that requires 2 elbows on each arm to reach and the use of a wrench not yet invented?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
It is self bleeding at the upper housing.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by uofmgriz
Just recently did some work to the ol' girl due to engine stalling and lack of power.

Pulled the codes and could've written a book about them...everything from Inj. 7 contribution, Insufficient EGR Flow, glowplugs, and camshaft sensor. Guy at the shop (not a Ford Stealership) recommends getting rid of egr cooler, inwhich was an upgrade I was wanting to perform anyways. Stripped down the engine (and cleaned thoroughly)and did the work myself. Got everything back together this weekend and fired her up. I re-installed my Edge Programmer to use strictly as a monitor and to pull DTC's. All the issues went away but now I have 2 new codes. P132B - Turbo Boost Control Performance and U0105 - Loss of Comm to FICM. I'm not worried yet about the boost control as I don't believe the truck has run long enough for the Turbo to perform it's learn cycle. The U0105 is the one that has me scratching my head at the moment. Hit up the tech files and did an advanced search through threads and found ways to check and repair your FICM. I'm one of the lucky ones with a 7 pin and I'm even luckier that it's reading around 48 VDC. I've checked the plugs to ensure that they are snug and the wires haven't come out of their pins. Also checked the FICM itself on its connector to make sure that any of the pins hadn't bent over when I plugged it back in after the egr delete/oil cooler upgrade. Everything seems to be happy go lucky, however truck will start and idle for about 5-10 min and shut down abruptly with the U0105 code. I haven't taken it out of the driveway yet as I don't intend on getting stranded. If I wanted to go for a walk, I'd go to a park.
I think the above comment may have eliminated the help of a number of the techs on this site.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
I think the above comment may have eliminated the help of a number of the techs on this site.
How is that? If you are referring to the shop, it is owned by a former Ford Mechanic who went into business for himself (Falcon Racing) and is 2 miles down the road...

Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A lot of the techs that support this site and give freely of their time work at your so called stealerships. I was just taught not to possibly insult people that I may be requesting help from.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
A lot of the techs that support this site and give freely of their time work at your so called stealerships. I was just taught not to possibly insult people that I may be requesting help from.
I understand what you mean there, but I'm not insulting the techs...I'm a tech as well, just on locomotives. The closest place for me is Baytown Ford...and they're a "stealership" (many a bad experience there with previous vehicles), now if I was back in Salt Lake City I'd GLADLY take my truck to Henry Day Ford...great techs there, awesome service dept...guess it's just where you are and the service that you've received in the past that will give you an outlook as to where you have your vechicle repaired. My apologies to any techs that are/were offended...we are what keeps things in motion!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
could be one of a few things going on. we see lots of odd ball harness issues with 03/04 trucks.
check pcm and ficm relays.
check for a v-ref short.
check pcm diode see a few that have loose fit issues in the junction block cause the like.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
could be one of a few things going on. we see lots of odd ball harness issues with 03/04 trucks.
check pcm and ficm relays.
check for a v-ref short.
check pcm diode see a few that have loose fit issues in the junction block cause the like.
PCM and FICM relays seem ok
PCM Diode is tight but "buzzes" after the truck shuts itself down
V-ref short...not done yet, that is next...truck was first diagnosed with a bad Camshaft Position Sensor, but that doesn't show up on a code when it shuts down...just this U0105.
Check harness' to the FICM to make sure they weren't rubbing anywhere, all seemed ok
Nerves....SHOT! V-Ref Short here I come

Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM
uofmgriz
Senior User
Checked for V-Ref Shorts, understand I don't have a test light for a 12v system as I normally work on 74V systems, so I used my Fluke 87V meter (and yes...meters lie!!)

J1-C2 Pin 36 to Ground - .257 VDC and on a continuity test nothing
J1-C1 Pin 45 to Ground - .031 VDC and " " "
J1-C1 Pin 32 to Ground - .032 VDC and " " "

Also checked CAN2H/CAN2L connectors and they seem to be snug...off to work and will continue pursuit tomorrow