Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Senior User

kevinrea is starting off with a positive reputation.
'97 F250 diesel oil change ??

hey guys,
i am going to go get an oil change on my '97 F250 diesel in the next couple of weeks.
how many quarts of oil does this thing hold?
is the oil filter a spin on/off or a canister?

what brand of oil do you guys like ?
i have always used castrol and/or valvoline in most of my cars.

thanks,
Kevin Rea
Palmdale, Calif.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
New User

dieselstreamer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just changed the oil in my 97 7.3
The book says 15 quarts, but mine is solid at the full mark with 14
my oil filter is a spin off, but be careful when it is full of oil, it is heavy and hard to hold on to, don't ask me how I found that out.

I rigged a funnel on a 5 gallon can to catch the oil, or use a open can but don't loose the plug.

make sure you use a GOOD oil made for diesels, these are too expensive to fix, just to save a few bucks at oil change time, and I have been warned not to stretch out the oil changes.

This is my first diesel, so I am trying to do every thing right.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 AM
Post Fiend

427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.
Ya, mine holds 14.5 approx. I run rotella 15/40 as do lots of guys. Some run motorcraft, some delo, some synthetic. Motorcraft fl1995 I think is the number for the filter. I've been told to change at 3000 miles, especially if you work the truck hard. You could probably go to 5000 with just highway driving. Jim at rosewood diesel wrote to change at 3000 miles so that's what I do...
"TheBeast"1997F2504x4dually4.10's,160k,140VIDM,HPX ,4-5"dp, S366 turbo, 6637, elec. fuel,rosewood stage ones,php,arp studs, comp springs, smith brothers push rods, T500 HPOP,melling lpop,180 tstat,6.0 fan and IC,trucool,coolant filter,scan gauge,lots of other gauges,racer x valve body and billet converter, upgraded trans, F550 leaf springs,SD dual tensioner upgrade, cold ac mod
Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Post Fiend

Copedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant future
ditto above. Due to HARD lessons learned: I would make sure you have a drip pan large enough to catch all the oil AND try to put a large box or droop a large heavy blanket on the "wind side" of the truck to combat the wind blowing the oil all over the place/face, hair etc...
It isn't to difficult, you should be able to do it from start to finish in about 20 minutes or so.
Oh, and don't forget to check the filter for tightness before and after the truck is warm/operating temperature.
Ian, 1 each (That's my nomenclature so don't wear it out) 97 F350 7.3L Auto 4WD Crew Cab 230K (Cali model bummer). MODS: HOOOOGA! horn, 6637, Service/Utility bed, 3" DP, Testing that Cat, 120v IDM. US ARMY OAS, OJE-IFOR, SFOR,2,5, OJG-KFOR, OIF, OEF. To ALL that have served, THANK YOU!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Senior User

jeep1947 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Take a punch and drive it in bottom of filter then u can drain oil and filter at the same time. Makes it a ton easier to remove the filter. Also remember to fill the filter with oil before you put it back on. If not u run the risk of loosing a bearing due to the large filter and the time it takes to fill it and get oil pressure to engine. Good luck.
97 F250 ExtCab 2 wheel drive long bed.Mods: cOOn 10K and 6637 Air Filter. Shimmed fuel pressure regulator.3" Down Pipe Cat Ran Away. 140 volt IDM. 3rd Generation Flux Capacitor and Rolls Royce battery water. More to come.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Post Fiend

Copedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant futureCopedawg has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep1947 View Post
Take a punch and drive it in bottom of filter then u can drain oil and filter at the same time. Makes it a ton easier to remove the filter. Also remember to fill the filter with oil before you put it back on. If not u run the risk of loosing a bearing due to the large filter and the time it takes to fill it and get oil pressure to engine. Good luck.
Great idea! I will try that next time.
Thanks!
Ian, 1 each (That's my nomenclature so don't wear it out) 97 F350 7.3L Auto 4WD Crew Cab 230K (Cali model bummer). MODS: HOOOOGA! horn, 6637, Service/Utility bed, 3" DP, Testing that Cat, 120v IDM. US ARMY OAS, OJE-IFOR, SFOR,2,5, OJG-KFOR, OIF, OEF. To ALL that have served, THANK YOU!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior User

triskadek is starting off with a positive reputation.
I now just expect to get bonked in face with a hot messy oil filter.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by triskadek View Post
I now just expect to get bonked in face with a hot messy oil filter.
Poke a hole in it... I take a big nail and a hammer under there with me. A couple good raps and you're done. Makes things so much nicer! Also consider a Fumoto valve... one flick of the lever to drain the oil.
PAA Member #2
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
96 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD - totaled 4/17/11 and sorely missed
God speed PaysonPSD, you will be missed
ThumperTalk / All Things Moto! / Back Country Rebels / SAWS / BRC
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior User

kevinrea is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the info guys..

so, i know what to expect when i take it to get an oil change.

too old to do that stuff myself.

i already did hundreds of them in the past.. don't want to do them any more.

kevin
Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Senior User

triskadek is starting off with a positive reputation.
At least put take a sharpie type permanent marker to your old filter...so you can shove it in their face when you take it back because they charge you but don't bother to actually replace it...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior User

summet20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have used Rotella 15w 40 since new on my 1996 F-350 CC 4x4 and am now reaching the 300,000 miles. I do use a motorcraft filter though. It takes 14quarts.
Alot of guys use this combo on their 7.3's and more.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior User

dturnersr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep1947 View Post

A good sharp punch...give it five minutes to drain. Absolutely, fill that new filter before putting it on...as with anything you change. It's the little things that are important.

I've used both Motorcraft and Shell, but I like the Motorcraft 5 qt jugs best. Fl-1995 is my mainstay. I have been changing my ever 5K, but under severe duty 3K is the ticket, an expensive ticket, but better that the alternative
Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Freshman User

jmgekeler is starting off with a positive reputation.
This brings up a question in mind. With the weather starting to turn cold, what weight oil do you all run? Winter in Indiana usually runs 10 to 30 degrees.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 AM
Post Fiend

Brown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to allBrown Falcon is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgekeler View Post
This brings up a question in mind. With the weather starting to turn cold, what weight oil do you all run? Winter in Indiana usually runs 10 to 30 degrees.
If you can afford it, run a good 5W40 synthetic, like Rotella or Amsoil. Faster starts, and some have reported MPG increases as well.
'95 F350 CC 4x4 Powerstroke - GONE but not forgotten
Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1996, 1997, 97, 97n, air, capacity, change, diesel, f250, f350, filter, locations, oil, oils, powerstroke, quarts, type